New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 5, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #2,881 of 4,139
I gave him some to try in PM but it was only by guessing. I did just fire up REW and spent some time getting it as close as I could with EQ. If we had PEQ it would be easy with a single filter:

31 Hz = -8.5
62 Hz = -4.5
125 Hz =-4.5
250 Hz = -3.0
500 Hz = -1.0

@Saf10 - these should be better as I actually measured on REW.

I know neutron has a PEQ and I'm not sure about uaap but yep you could do it as a filter. I've got neutron installed but I like functionality of the walkman app better and the sound is awesome to me. I do apply a tiny bit of EQ as a habit on Sonys, as I said before I swear the dap widens the stage a bit compared to direct.

Apr 5, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #2,882 of 4,139
I gave him some to try in PM but it was only by guessing. I did just fire up REW and spent some time getting it as close as I could with EQ. If we had PEQ it would be easy with a single filter:

31 Hz = -8.5
62 Hz = -4.5
125 Hz =-4.5
250 Hz = -3.0
500 Hz = -1.0

@Saf10 - these should be better as I actually measured on REW.
Thank you. You're a star. Will try this out tonight.

Apr 5, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #2,883 of 4,139
I didn't know for sure whether I had the bass issue pre-update, it really was confusing as on some IEMs things seemed fine to me, but very clearly, it now transpires that I did have the -10db of bass.

As we have noted, the clarity and instrument separation on the A300 series is phenomenal.
Like you, background instruments on tracks that I had known for over 45 years and had played quite literally, many many hundreds of times, have come alive in the mix, some I had never even heard! 😲

These background instruments remain boosted in the mix post update, but now they have a deep, warm and rich feel with the added 10db of bass.

The only thing I would add and perhaps of note.
On some IEMs, the update had zero effect, absolutely nothing. :thinking:
On another set, just a mild increase.

On one set however, it was an astounding uplift in quality which totally blew my mind! 🤯

Having loved these IEMs for the best part of 10 years, I was so disappointed in them when paired with the A306, that I was about to drop $600-$700 in the hope of finding the sound I wanted in a new set.

Now though, the sound on these IEMs is just as I want to hear almost every track just on Direct, so this owner is blissfully happy with the new Walkman and having a variety of mix options. :ksc75smile:

Bottom line, I totally recommend everyone tries a few (and very different) types of headphones or IEMs.
:beerchug:
Thanks AtomicUK. Yes, 'Phenomenal' is the word it. I have a Hiby R6 Pro and although powerful, couldnt match the A306 for instrument separation and clarity, especially background instruments. It just came alive. Like you I heard instruments with rich clarity for the first time, on tracks ive been listening to for decades. Still struggling to replicate that post update. What IEM are you recommending will give that original sound?

Apr 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #2,884 of 4,139
Thanks AtomicUK. Yes, 'Phenomenal' is the word it. I have a Hiby R6 Pro and although powerful, couldnt match the A306 for instrument separation and clarity, especially background instruments. It just came alive. Like you I heard instruments with rich clarity for the first time, on tracks ive been listening to for decades. Still struggling to replicate that post update. What IEM are you recommending will give that original sound?
Of the three sets in my signature it was the Shure SE425 IEMs that came alive post update.
These are by no means 'high end' IEMs but I had been happy enough with them with all my previous usage until paired with the pre update A306.

Sound is of course subjective, but it felt like about a 60% improvement from not wanting to use them to loving them with the A306 post update.

I'd still like to try some true 'high end' IEMs for compassion, as this jump in quality piqued my interest, and I'm loving what both the Shure SE425 IEMs and also the Etymotic ER3SE (Studio Edition) IEMs offer me for my different requirements.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #2,885 of 4,139
I know neutron has a PEQ and I'm not sure about uaap but yep you could do it as a filter. I've got neutron installed but I like functionality of the walkman app better and the sound is awesome to me. I do apply a tiny bit of EQ as a habit on Sonys, as I said before I swear the dap widens the stage a bit compared to direct.

For Neutron, a low shelf with -10 dB, 100 Hz and S=.5 is a perfect match to the pre-update low shelf issue. Don't forget to change Q to S as it's not the same thing.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #2,886 of 4,139
For Neutron, a low shelf with -10 dB, 100 Hz and S=.5 is a perfect match to the pre-update low shelf issue. Don't forget to change Q to S as it's not the same thing.

Yes and there's a neutron trial app you can try for free, Saf10 could get the exact match to the shelf filter. Neutron has quite a few sound settings also. I haven't even set neutron up yet myself as from memory I liked the Sony app better on a105, I personally thought it sounded better.

I'm very pleased with the sound, I've tested it against some really good dongles, but I prefer the Sony sound. I like the presentation, it's dense but with still good space and layering, sometimes it sounds like the stage isn't as wide, but then parts stretch beyond it and I'm like well it's pretty big. I know on certain headphones though that's not the case, you just need a little more juice to make them sound full and expansive. But for iems, yes, oh and I'm sure some cans are good to go. The Meize 99 sounded pretty good.

I'd like to hear the 109's. But I'm using it daily with BT, streaming and general listening and it's all been good. The next update I expect some performance tweaks, smoother faster UI and maybe more efficient battery usage. That's going by what they did with a105.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,887 of 4,139
Of the three sets in my signature it was the Shure SE425 IEMs that came alive post update.
These are by no means 'high end' IEMs but I had been happy enough with them with all my previous usage until paired with the pre update A306.

Sound is of course subjective, but it felt like about a 60% improvement from not wanting to use them to loving them with the A306 post update.

I'd still like to try some true 'high end' IEMs for compassion, as this jump in quality piqued my interest, and I'm loving what both the Shure SE425 IEMs and also the Etymotic ER3SE (Studio Edition) IEMs offer me for my different requirements.

Actually the fiio FD3 were pretty damn impressive for their price, I couldn't were them because of the fit and weight but I bet the FD5 would be real nice for the price. It would give you a taste of a nice single DD, different from your shures. The kinera celeste gumiho sounded great too if you want to try a planar, very exciting to listen too great bass, not reference but colored for excitement. I definitely would have kept them if they fit better. Very inexpensive too. You can pick up senn ie800s on a discount and they're very good also, very small though.

Plus the myriad of chifi iems. I'm itching to try a new Sony myself, maybe a wireless to upgrade my old enacfire, which surprisingly have sounded better than many more $$ wireless buds. They've performed extremely well for the 45 bucks I paid for them.

The ocean of iems/cans/ wireless is as deep as it is wide. Compared to 20 years ago the choices are mind boggling. Let alone when I got my first walkman lol.

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #2,888 of 4,139
The Null cables are superb and I use one of these with my IE300s.

Another good option (if you are happy with soldering) is to buy the Sennheiser compatible MMCX connectors from Aliexpress (super cheap) for and swap them for the regular MMCX connectors from any cable that you currently like.
Awesome thank you for the feedback! I also stumbled upon these connectors on Amazon that looks promising. Looks like this brand has tons of different adapters/connectors. I’ll give these a try along with looking into your suggestion.

okcsc Adapters for Sennheiser IE400 Pro Earbuds Male to Mmcx Cable Female Compatible for IE100 IE400 IE400 Pro IE500 Lossless Sound Quality for Earbuds One Pair of Headphone Converter Black https://a.co/d/8UbtEqZ

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,889 of 4,139
Can anyone who was able to input gesture control into the SONY Walkman please do a video tutorial for window, sorry but I'm very confuse and doesn't want to risk messing up my Walkman.
Sorry I do not have a walkthrough myself. However I did a simple google search on how to add gesture to android with commands, I used the program adb app control on my pc. I found the commands that way but unfortunately I don’t have a direct link.

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #2,890 of 4,139
Got it! Thanks everyone for all the help.

Also I used this walkthrough and followed all the instructions for better battery life. Definitely worth trying if you’re wanting maximum battery life. Also mine runs faster and smoother now after following all these steps. And I already noticed less heat while reuploading my poweramp library (swapped over to my 1tb sd card as I’m quite sure I’m gonna keep the Sony now). It also went faster than previously.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wm1am2-and-wm1zm2-android-walkman-optimization-guide.962975/

For the Google search bar it did turn to a date and time once I disabled Google. But I went ahead and used a tip on this guide and moved all my apps to the third screen and set my 2nd screen up as my main screen. Might still look at getting a super low battery usage launcher that people mentioned rather than the default system version which I think is called QuickStart.

This is with the poweramp widget.
382AF527-57A2-47A0-A526-7D07A192CD1A.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E1D0F7B-29BB-41C3-9D28-31E02364EC75.jpeg
    0E1D0F7B-29BB-41C3-9D28-31E02364EC75.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #2,891 of 4,139
Got it! Thanks everyone for all the help.

Also I used this walkthrough and followed all the instructions for better battery life. Definitely worth trying if you’re wanting maximum battery life. Also mine runs faster and smoother now after following all these steps. And I already noticed less heat while reuploading my poweramp library (swapped over to my 1tb sd card as I’m quite sure I’m gonna keep the Sony now). It also went faster than previously.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wm1am2-and-wm1zm2-android-walkman-optimization-guide.962975/

For the Google search bar it did turn to a date and time once I disabled Google. But I went ahead and used a tip on this guide and moved all my apps to the third screen and set my 2nd screen up as my main screen. Might still look at getting a super low battery usage launcher that people mentioned rather than the default system version which I think is called QuickStart.

This is with the poweramp widget.

Cool background!

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #2,894 of 4,139
There it is! I couldn’t find the command since I originally did it to mine like a month ago. Good find!

Did thread search for gesture 😀 I want to try it, I've always used the 3 dots. But if it makes the screen less cramped it's worth it. Don't know why it's not available as a choice on the device itself.... 😕

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #2,895 of 4,139
Did thread search for gesture 😀 I want to try it, I've always used the 3 dots. But if it makes the screen less cramped it's worth it. Don't know why it's not available as a choice on the device itself.... 😕
Right! You would think because of the smaller screen it would be a great option. I had it on my older android phone and my current android tablet. Guess Sony wasn’t interested in it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back