New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 6, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #2,911 of 4,139
Just out of curiosity, you guys only get the hiss when WiFi is on correct? I have noticed a very, very quiet background digital chatter and hiss (particularly on the left side) when there is dead silence. I don’t stream any music though so unless I’m actively downloading or doing something specific my WiFi is off and it’s dead quiet.
No, many DAP's exhibit amp hiss with my SE846's and Andromeda's (older versions) are meant to be even more sensitive. Nothing to do with Wi-Fi or cellular interference

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #2,912 of 4,139
yep agreed, so want an IEM to try and obtain great sound quality like the Meze 109. Clear, precise and good soundstage preferred.....Thanks :)
Well my Sony IER-M9's match that description but I had to import from Japan and ~£1K new

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #2,913 of 4,139
Also, anyone know if it’s possible to use “double tap to wake”? I couldn’t find it in settings. I searched for an adb command but got nowhere. It seems like kind of a hard one to search. The ones I did find said they only worked with android 10 or 11.
It's not, and hasn't been on any Sony DAP. Told it uses battery life as screen touch array always "active" and Sony need to maximise life from their relatively the small batteries.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #2,914 of 4,139
Battery life for me not great; Maybe 5 or 6 hours of streaming use and sending output to desktop DAC/Amp........Seems low............?
No, live streaming & using as DAC will put big demand on its small battery and even more so if using Sony audio features (no direct). Its only 1200MAh while in something like a Hiby R5GII its 4,500mAh.

Sony use low power OS, screen, CPU, AMP's to make most of small batteries. You couldn't get much larger in a DAP the size of the A300 series. For my use of Sony Music with own files (~30hrs) and offline Audio service files (+16hrs) its fine with Wi-Fi off, much better than the A100 & ZX500 series battery life.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #2,915 of 4,139
Yours are only 4 Ohm? My Shure is 8 Ohm I think and if I strain to listen for it in really quiet sections of music in a totally silent room, it is just barely audible, so maybe still going to be noticeable with yours with IEMatch.
The IEMatch completely eliminated all the wi-fi noise and background hiss on the high setting. I was surprised.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #2,916 of 4,139
The IEMatch completely eliminated all the wi-fi noise and background hiss on the high setting. I was surprised.

Many DAP's seem to be designed to specify over 16Ohm as ideal. The SE846 & Andromeda are obviously well below that. Yes, the IEMatch is really good if you have the volume headroom. Especially good if you use these IEM's with your Laptop as with my SE846 a volume of 10/100 is too loud so gives very few volume steps and serious risk of damaging ears/IEM's if accidently set too loud. With the IEMatch I can have my SE846's at 50/100 with then no hearing risk.

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #2,917 of 4,139
Also, anyone know if it’s possible to use “double tap to wake”? I couldn’t find it in settings. I searched for an adb command but got nowhere. It seems like kind of a hard one to search. The ones I did find said they only worked with android 10 or 11.
Been searching for this also, it is very annoying to press the power button everytime, I gotten so use to phone that it bother me they don't have the option for it along with gesture control. If anyone uses ADB command know what to put for "double tap to wake" please help out, thank you.

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,918 of 4,139
Battery life for me not great; Maybe 5 or 6 hours of streaming use and sending output to desktop DAC/Amp........Seems low............?

That's seems low, I'll try to keep track when I'm streaming and going to external amp/dac. My streaming alone seems more like 11-12 hours though I never technically measured it.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #2,919 of 4,139
Experimented yesterday with my Meze 109 into the A306 direct as opposed to via 4.4mm out having routed the A306 via the Earmen ST-Amp as I use the A306 as a desktop streamer in my home office……..
Direct, the 306 has a warmer but much duller presentation. The Earmen DAC AMP really lifts the presentation (and of course power) and I simply will not use the Meze 109 direct now with the A306…….So……I am assuming a nice pair of IEM may be better suited to the A306 direct and for portable use ?
Alternatively I buy a Mojo2 for portable duties plus corresponding HPs but that option seems OTT….
Any advice on IEMs ? I’m in the UK so buying options in UK preferred……
I did look at the 7Hz Legatos…….

You're in the UK; is your unit volume-capped?

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #2,920 of 4,139
I like for small this dap
Is but I realise it has low power and his with some iems. Has anyone found iems that have good synergy with the device?

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,922 of 4,139
Do you have import model or is it volume capped? What iems are you having trouble with?
I haven’t bought it yet but I’m considering it. I’ll prob get an unlocked one from abroad as i live in the uk. I’m considering one as it looks nice and small so I can take it on walks

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #2,923 of 4,139
I haven’t bought it yet but I’m considering it. I’ll prob get an unlocked one from abroad as i live in the uk. I’m considering one as it looks nice and small so I can take it on walks

Oh, if you get unlocked one it's got good synergy with every iem I've tried. I haven't heard about any complaints on iems. It is great for walks and active stuff. I'm sure psikey can chime in, he likes it with his fiios. Honestly it's sounded great on DD or ba iems.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #2,924 of 4,139
The unit I ordered from Japan showed up yesterday. Spent quite a bit of time getting it setup and overall I'm very happy with the device. Having said that, I am running into a couple issues, maybe others can help me out.

First, the Walkman app is not displaying my cover.jpg files. I'm assuming the album art needs to be embedded into the audio files for the Walkman app to display it? Just want to be sure before I go through the effort of embedding the covers in all my files.

Second, does anyone use BlackPlayer and have you had issues with it taking considerably longer to load the SD card folder view than other apps? The Walkman app shows the folder structure instantly where BlackPlayer will take 30+ seconds. Otherwise I've really liked BlackPlayer.

Lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for Android music apps to try out that would be great. This is the first Android device I've had where I want to listen to local files so I have no experience with music apps other than Youtube Music.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,925 of 4,139

Users who are viewing this thread

Back