New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #2,896 of 4,139
As someone who was dealing with quite a bit of background hiss and left earbud radio interference when using very low impedance IEMs, I ordered and just received an iFi IEMatch and used my Campfire Audio Holocenes with the A306 (IEMatch set to high and single ended). All static and noise completely eliminated. You do lose a chunk of volume as the high setting adds 12ohms of impedance to your IEMs (takes my Holocenes from 4.5 to 16.5ohms) but I have not had to max out the volume to listen at normal levels - i'm running the A306 at about 90% volume with the IEMatch and that is as loud as I require. A working solution if you have super sensitive IEMs. Will be keeping the A306 now. FYI for anyone interested.

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #2,897 of 4,139
Experimented yesterday with my Meze 109 into the A306 direct as opposed to via 4.4mm out having routed the A306 via the Earmen ST-Amp as I use the A306 as a desktop streamer in my home office……..
Direct, the 306 has a warmer but much duller presentation. The Earmen DAC AMP really lifts the presentation (and of course power) and I simply will not use the Meze 109 direct now with the A306…….So……I am assuming a nice pair of IEM may be better suited to the A306 direct and for portable use ?
Alternatively I buy a Mojo2 for portable duties plus corresponding HPs but that option seems OTT….
Any advice on IEMs ? I’m in the UK so buying options in UK preferred……
I did look at the 7Hz Legatos…….

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #2,898 of 4,139
As someone who was dealing with quite a bit of background hiss and left earbud radio interference when using very low impedance IEMs, I ordered and just received an iFi IEMatch and used my Campfire Audio Holocenes with the A306 (IEMatch set to high and single ended). All static and noise completely eliminated. You do lose a chunk of volume as the high setting adds 12ohms of impedance to your IEMs (takes my Holocenes from 4.5 to 16.5ohms) but I have not had to max out the volume to listen at normal levels - i'm running the A306 at about 90% volume with the IEMatch and that is as loud as I require. A working solution if you have super sensitive IEMs. Will be keeping the A306 now. FYI for anyone interested.
Yep, used for years with my SE846's but not needing now with my A307 after going over 30hrs hiss diminished for me.

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #2,899 of 4,139
Experimented yesterday with my Meze 109 into the A306 direct as opposed to via 4.4mm out having routed the A306 via the Earmen ST-Amp as I use the A306 as a desktop streamer in my home office……..
Direct, the 306 has a warmer but much duller presentation. The Earmen DAC AMP really lifts the presentation (and of course power) and I simply will not use the Meze 109 direct now with the A306…….So……I am assuming a nice pair of IEM may be better suited to the A306 direct and for portable use ?
Alternatively I buy a Mojo2 for portable duties plus corresponding HPs but that option seems OTT….
Any advice on IEMs ? I’m in the UK so buying options in UK preferred……
I did look at the 7Hz Legatos…….
But if you are going through an external DAC/AMP your not even listening to the A306, its just acting as a storage source for your files, your not hearing the Sony sound, same as if using BT head/earphones which have their own DAC/AMP (though Sony has EQ effects for BT unlike some others).

I still think my Fiio FD7 sound great out of my A307 but we all like different things so can't really say if you would.

Do you prefer BA, DD or Hybrid generally ? Or not had any IEM? Also, what price range you at for an IEM?

Do you prefer detail, precise, maybe even a bit clinical, or warm/musical?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #2,901 of 4,139
Just out of curiosity, you guys only get the hiss when WiFi is on correct? I have noticed a very, very quiet background digital chatter and hiss (particularly on the left side) when there is dead silence. I don’t stream any music though so unless I’m actively downloading or doing something specific my WiFi is off and it’s dead quiet.

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #2,902 of 4,139
But if you are going through an external DAC/AMP your not even listening to the A306, its just acting as a storage source for your files, your not hearing the Sony sound, same as if using BT head/earphones which have their own DAC/AMP (though Sony has EQ effects for BT unlike some others).

I still think my Fiio FD7 sound great out of my A307 but we all like different things so can't really say if you would.

Do you prefer BA, DD or Hybrid generally ? Or not had any IEM? Also, what price range you at for an IEM?

Do you prefer detail, precise, maybe even a bit clinical, or warm/musical?
yep agreed, so want an IEM to try and obtain great sound quality like the Meze 109. Clear, precise and good soundstage preferred.....Thanks :)

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #2,903 of 4,139
Also, anyone know if it’s possible to use “double tap to wake”? I couldn’t find it in settings. I searched for an adb command but got nowhere. It seems like kind of a hard one to search. The ones I did find said they only worked with android 10 or 11.

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #2,904 of 4,139
Just out of curiosity, you guys only get the hiss when WiFi is on correct? I have noticed a very, very quiet background digital chatter and hiss (particularly on the left side) when there is dead silence. I don’t stream any music though so unless I’m actively downloading or doing something specific my WiFi is off and it’s dead quiet.
For me, it's quite noisy with the wi-fi but when turned off there is still a very faint hiss that i could have lived with. Not the wi-fi noise - that could be heard on the left channel even during quiet passages of music. Could not have lived with that and was ready to return until i tried the IEMatch.

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #2,905 of 4,139
I owned those for a while and ended up selling them because I didnt like how they sounded. My recommendation is if you have apple get the APP2, there really is nothing for apple that is musically better enough to lose the seamlessness. If you are an android user like myself, the beoplay ex is worth trying out. Out of all the TWS units ive owned (Sony, BW, Senn) I think it sounds the best. It also has an EQ system that while simplistic is pretty good and the earbuds respond well to the wavelet app.
Hi, have you still got the B and O ex's to use with your 306? Reason for asking is how do you find the volume settings in regards to how loud they'll go? I seem to have to go up nearly to the limit which is odd!
Sound quality is fantastic but the volume seems quite passive and expensive enough or is there an issue?
Regards Graham

Apr 6, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #2,907 of 4,139
If you were to choose only one which is better if you haven't have that problem?
To be honest, it would really depend on what you are looking for. They both have their positives and negatives. Due to the extra RAM, the Sony is a smoother experience and more compact, as well as having the newer Android version for future proofing. However, I think the DX170 wins out slightly for me as there is something about the music reproduction that makes me want to listen more. I also find Mango player better to use than the Walkman app. It also looks like Sony haven't stripped as many system settings as iBasso have - especially the auto-off feature which I found really helpful in saving battery power for me. I've also had my hands on the new Hiby R6 Gen 3. Both of these players sound better than the Hiby for me.

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #2,908 of 4,139
Hi, have you still got the B and O ex's to use with your 306? Reason for asking is how do you find the volume settings in regards to how loud they'll go? I seem to have to go up nearly to the limit which is odd!
Sound quality is fantastic but the volume seems quite passive and expensive enough or is there an issue?
Regards Graham

I don't have a 306 yet!

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #2,909 of 4,139
Battery life for me not great; Maybe 5 or 6 hours of streaming use and sending output to desktop DAC/Amp........Seems low............?

That seems low for DAC/amp output. the streaming numbers might be correct usually that is very taxing

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #2,910 of 4,139
Interesting. I was wondering if the A306 might burn in and lose the hiss (kind of wishing, really ... LOL). Guess i will check once i have some more time on it. Thanks for the info.
Yours are only 4 Ohm? My Shure is 8 Ohm I think and if I strain to listen for it in really quiet sections of music in a totally silent room, it is just barely audible, so maybe still going to be noticeable with yours without IEMatch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back