New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #2,656 of 4,162
Before and after firmware update. Very pleased see to this:

newfirmware.jpg

Direct link to Japan firmware update, if it's useful:

http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...0001/NW-A300Series_0001_V1_01_04_NW_WM_FW.UPG

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #2,657 of 4,162
Mar 30, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #2,658 of 4,162
I also wanted to note, I have a Japanese import model and I used what I would assume is USA firmware as I'm geolocated in the US. Here are the details for folks in the US

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/software/00292253

No volume cap after the update, phew...

The firmware update OTAs are tied to the original device region. It doesn't matter where you are located and should not effect the volume cap.

This should be US firmware (Series 0000- International, Series 0001 - Japan, Series 0003 - China, etc):

http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...0001/NW-A300Series_0000_V1_01_04_NW_WM_FW.UPG

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #2,659 of 4,162
The firmware update OTAs are tied to the original device region. It doesn't matter where you are located and should not effect the volume cap.

This should be US firmware (Series 0000- International, Series 0001 - Japan, Series 0003 - China, etc):

http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...0001/NW-A300Series_0000_V1_01_04_NW_WM_FW.UPG
Just gearing up to do this and excited to hear if my A306 changes.

Does it autodetect region of build as mine came from Hong Kong but I'm currently in the USA, or do I need to manually select China? 🤔

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #2,661 of 4,162
Just gearing up to do this and excited to hear if my A306 changes.

Does it autodetect region of build as mine came from Hong Kong but I'm currently in the USA, or do I need to manually select China? 🤔

You don't need to do anything but perform the OTA. It will use the correct version. FYI, the "China" version does not have Google Play.

Mar 30, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #2,664 of 4,162
Found this in the Sony JP website earlier tonight
Firstly, can I say a huge thank you to Jehutyset for bringing this update to our attention, it was very much appreciated!

Secondly: Wow, wow, wow!
I wasn't going mad, after all that, my A306 obviously DID have the -10db bass defect! :xf_rolleyes:

What a difference the update has made - My much maligned Shure SE425 IEMs have absolutely come alive! :ksc75smile:

The bottom end has not only come to life, but the middle range also and even recordings taken from band sound desks at shows, just in Direct suddenly have full body and a richness to them with bass drums thumping as they should.

Those that didn't have the issue will never know just how different this is, I can barely put into words how happy this has made me.

Ironically, the Etymotic ER3SE (Studio Edition) IEMs sound....no different! That is how it should be, they are meant to convey a flat sound for studio use and the sheer difference now between those and the Shure is remarkable.

I spent yesterday researching new IEMs and was about to drop $600-700 on another set in the hope my ears would finally come alive with a nice rich all round sound.

While I would love to try some higher end IEMs, for now, I am going to relish listening with the Shure SE425s which have improved in spectrum by 50-60% following the system update.

This whole experience has been exciting, frustrating, interesting and a big learning curve for me, but this forum has been utterly brilliant throughout, so thank you all for your support, advice and suggestions to someone who came in with no knowledge of this area of technology.
Cheers everyone! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #2,665 of 4,162
Indeed, big thanks to @rlw6534 @jehutyset and all those who laughed and cried with me throughout this journey. I know how to use REW for this purpose as result of this and I have also left disabled some apps I really don't need, I knew how to do it but @rlw6534 was who actually brought that idea.

Literally I'm almost crying of happiness right now 😀

Mar 30, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #2,666 of 4,162
Firstly, can I say a huge thank you to Jehutyset for bringing this update to our attention, it was very much appreciated!

Secondly: Wow, wow, wow!
I wasn't going mad, after all that, my A306 obviously DID have the -10db bass defect! :xf_rolleyes:

What a difference the update has made - My much maligned Shure SE425 IEMs have absolutely come alive! :ksc75smile:

The bottom end has not only come to life, but the middle range also and even recordings taken from band sound desks at shows, just in Direct suddenly have full body and a richness to them with bass drums thumping as they should.

Those that didn't have the issue will never know just how different this is, I can barely put into words how happy this has made me.

Ironically, the Etymotic ER3SE (Studio Edition) IEMs sound....no different! That is how it should be, they are meant to convey a flat sound for studio use and the sheer difference now between those and the Shure is remarkable.

I spent yesterday researching new IEMs and was about to drop $600-700 on another set in the hope my ears would finally come alive with a nice rich all round sound.

While I would love to try some higher end IEMs, for now, I am going to relish listening with the Shure SE425s which have improved in spectrum by 50-60% following the system update.

This whole experience has been exciting, frustrating, interesting and a big learning curve for me, but this forum has been utterly brilliant throughout, so thank you all for your support, advice and suggestions to someone who came in with no knowledge of this area of technology.
Cheers everyone! :beerchug:
Excellent news atomic and kudos to Sony for getting the software out to fix the bug ...its sounds great don't you think? great DAP

Mar 30, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #2,667 of 4,162
I've just upgraded the JPN version, this is what it looks like now :L3000:

(HEAD-FI just timed out, I think the web server collapsed)
comparison.PNG
Have faith in Sony ..LOL

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #2,668 of 4,162
Excellent news atomic and kudos to Sony for getting the software out to fix the bug ...its sounds great don't you think? great DAP
Absolutely - I almost wish everyone who had a good unit could hear the difference, it is literally, utterly remarkable! :ksc75smile:

HUGE kudos to Sony for quietly going about their business and resolving this. 🙏

Happy doesn't cover it! 😁👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back