New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 30, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #2,671 of 4,139
I have a blue NW-A306 for sale in like-new condition if anyone is interested. This is a Japanese model, as I purchased it from a major retailer seller in Japan via eBay only 6 weeks ago. Definitely no volume cap. I used it for probably less than 2 hours total and have all the original packaging. I absolutely love this DAP, but really had no business purchasing it, as I have tinnitus and it flares my tinnitus when switched to high-res quality. APTX doesn't bother my ears, it's only when I switch it to APTX HD or higher that my ears ring for the next three days. I'm not seeing any value in using it for less than high res quality, as the SQ is just underwhelming with the high-res settings turned off. The gamble was worth it to me. I'd prefer to sell it here rather than an auction site, but will choose the latter site if needed. If anyone here is interested, private message me. I'm in California and will ship to domestic U.S..

UPDATE: SOLD!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,672 of 4,139
Great job Sony! They solved this issue in a fairly quick respectable amount of time. Much kudos to them! I did not have the bass issue luckily, but I can also confirm with the others that the bass is still the same after the update. Too bad they didn’t “accidentally” turn off the volume cap for us US buyers lol.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #2,674 of 4,139
Glad to hear that the bass issue has been fixed, I'm doing the update now, I'm just curious, does anyone know if formatting the SD card makes a huge difference to performance? Transferring all my tracks off and then back onto the SD card will be a major hassle that I'd rather not have to do if it makes no difference, but I've seen some pople saying it makes a big difference to the overall performance.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #2,676 of 4,139
Ye of little faith 😀 did the update and no change, it didn't mess anything up. I must check the noise level. I had bass and happily I still have bass. Although it seems the latest firmware neutered someone's a105 bass wise, strange.

Software was more likely with the perfect filter curve. Hardware failures are lower than software, especially without moving parts like hard drives. It would have to be a very specific setup of resistors/caps to get the perfect shelf. Glad everyone can enjoy the little beastie.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,677 of 4,139
I have a blue NW-A306 for sale in like-new condition if anyone is interested. This is a Japanese model, as I purchased it from a major retailer seller in Japan via eBay only 6 weeks ago. Definitely no volume cap. I used it for probably less than 2 hours total and have all the original packaging. I absolutely love this DAP, but really had no business purchasing it, as I have tinnitus and it flares my tinnitus when switched to high-res quality. APTX doesn't bother my ears, it's only when I switch it to APTX HD or higher that my ears ring for the next three days. I'm not seeing any value in using it for less than high res quality, as the SQ is just underwhelming with the high-res settings turned off. The gamble was worth it to me. I'd prefer to sell it here rather than an auction site, but will choose the latter site if needed. If anyone here is interested, private message me. I'm in California and will ship to domestic U.S..

Probably underwhelming because you had the bass issue? Might want to update and give it a listen.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,679 of 4,139
Yep, it's all good now with my 306 from HK, my only pet peeve will be the walkman app counting til 9999 and no further; seems like a UI choice but come on, it's a device for music, they should expect people buying this product to have libraries bigger than 10k songs. Anyone holding on the update, don't, just go ahead and enjoy this awesome DAP.

Uhm, random question here but there's a guy selling the IE 800 for 260USD (400AUD) near my area, it looks basically new with box and all, do you guys think it's a good deal?
[/

You can get the updated model pretty cheap used, the ie800s. Even new it goes for 400 sometimes. But I recon that's still a good deal.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,680 of 4,139
Ye of little faith 😀 did the update and no change, it didn't mess anything up. I must check the noise level. I had bass and happily I still have bass. Although it seems the latest firmware neutered someone's a105 bass wise, strange.

Software was more likely with the perfect filter curve. Hardware failures are lower than software, especially without moving parts like hard drives. It would have to be a very specific setup of resistors/caps to get the perfect shelf. Glad everyone can enjoy the little beastie.

Interesting, considering there was no A105 update... :wink:

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,681 of 4,139
Probably underwhelming because you had the bass issue? Might want to update and give it a listen.
Nah, my ears are just accustomed to listening to high-res and at higher bitrates. I can't select anything higher than APTX (not even aptxhd) when what I really want to listen to is LDAC. Really wish I could. I'm going to stick to using my Sennheiser MTW3s with the Creative bluetooth dongle connected to my iPad Mini. Both have AptX Adaptive and for some reason, that combo doesn't flare my tinnitus.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #2,682 of 4,139
Firstly, can I say a huge thank you to Jehutyset for bringing this update to our attention, it was very much appreciated!

Secondly: Wow, wow, wow!
I wasn't going mad, after all that, my A306 obviously DID have the -10db bass defect! :xf_rolleyes:

What a difference the update has made - My much maligned Shure SE425 IEMs have absolutely come alive! :ksc75smile:

The bottom end has not only come to life, but the middle range also and even recordings taken from band sound desks at shows, just in Direct suddenly have full body and a richness to them with bass drums thumping as they should.

Those that didn't have the issue will never know just how different this is, I can barely put into words how happy this has made me.

Ironically, the Etymotic ER3SE (Studio Edition) IEMs sound....no different! That is how it should be, they are meant to convey a flat sound for studio use and the sheer difference now between those and the Shure is remarkable.

I spent yesterday researching new IEMs and was about to drop $600-700 on another set in the hope my ears would finally come alive with a nice rich all round sound.

While I would love to try some higher end IEMs, for now, I am going to relish listening with the Shure SE425s which have improved in spectrum by 50-60% following the system update.

This whole experience has been exciting, frustrating, interesting and a big learning curve for me, but this forum has been utterly brilliant throughout, so thank you all for your support, advice and suggestions to someone who came in with no knowledge of this area of technology.
Cheers everyone! :beerchug:

How's that Bella Sonas track sound now 😀 BOOM BOOM...................BOOM BOOM

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #2,684 of 4,139
How's that Bella Sonas track sound now 😀 BOOM BOOM...................BOOM BOOM

I listened to it (Apple Music) and it gets even deeper after the intro...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back