New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,626 of 4,139
Never heard that track before but really liked it, so either way, thanks for sharing it!
Sadly no rumble deep or otherwise with the Shure IEMs, just a light 'thud thud' almost like hearing a heartbeat in the middle of the spectrum.

Using bass heavy EQ (see attached) I can hear it is actually a bass synth note and there is way more depth to it, but not a rumble.

IEMs or unit is still the question.... :thinking:

PXL_20230329_184427152~2_copy_567x1008.jpg

Yes that is the question, might be the iems. I get rumble on my rose 3- with a bit of boost, but it does have an extra ba driver. I don't know if I could take the treble turned all the way up though 😀 I assume you have a good seal with the shures.
Yes the album is very cool, sexy and vibrant. Was a rec from a friend.

Wow, just noticed you've got the mids jacked up too. Lol. What kind of iem is that 425?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #2,628 of 4,139
Seems that UAPP gives offboard DAC control of volume unless switched in settings back to device..
Then the device A306 can then stream the Qobuz downloaded app..with volume output…..
Too complicated !

That can be a problem with many DAPs (not just Sony) , once an app has taken control of the hardware, it doesn't always release it, especially if the app can run in the background. Sometimes closing the offending app from the task switcher will help.

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,629 of 4,139
Yes that is the question, might be the iems. I get rumble on my rose 3- with a bit of boost, but it does have an extra ba driver. I don't know if I could take the treble turned all the way up though 😀 I assume you have a good seal with the shures.

Wow, just noticed you've got the mids jacked up too. Lol. What kind of iem is that 425?
Not sure if you saw the update that Bose did give me a bass rumble, but their overall quality is not a rich sound and I only carry them for noise reduction reasons normally.

Returning to a track with bass pedals, the Bose certainly does also bring them more forward, but nothing like 5.1 would (naturally) while sadly the Bose also makes the track sound badly mixed (when using Direct) which of course I know it is not.

I am encouraged though that I hear the rumble, so clearly I need to explore better IEMs and maybe have your track and the bass pedal track as my bench mark tests.

What to try though.... 🤔

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,630 of 4,139
That guys not advertising the bass defect, and neither is Sony lol. Really glad mine is working, from my experience with playing with the 507, 707 would be too big.
?? He does: "It does exhbit a -10db Bass drop with Headphones connected via 3.5. Bluetooth is fine."

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #2,631 of 4,139
Just chiming in. I have tried the shure 425’s and can confirm they lack bass. Compared to the other iems I’ve owned/tried: yanyin, moonlight, unique melody mest mkii, kz ast, 64 audio v8, etc…. The shures were definitely lean on bass.

As far as the issue still existing in Japanese, etc models. What a bummer. I have a line on a used Japanese one and was hoping chances would be good it wouldn’t have the issue. 😬

Anyone can confirm that poweramp plays nice with the native a306 architecture and you still get lossless output through the digital amps in hi-res mode?

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #2,632 of 4,139
Just chiming in. I have tried the shure 425’s and can confirm they lack bass. Compared to the other iems I’ve owned/tried: yanyin, moonlight, unique melody mest mkii, kz ast, 64 audio v8, etc…. The shures were definitely lean on bass.
Very useful to know, thank you! 😎👍

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #2,633 of 4,139
Bizarrely complete opposite order of IEM price!

Fiio FD7, SE846, then my M9's

Think we go through mood changes and at moment preferring sound of DD over BA
Assuming you are just referring to using the above with the A307, what makes the FiiO FD7s better to your ears than the Sony M9s which are around twice the price?

Could you breakdown areas the FiiO's improve things and are there any shortcomings on the FD7s?

I've been reading this thread with interest tonight, but it goes in the opposite direction price wise! 🤔

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #2,634 of 4,139
I already returned a couple, they were both defective (UK model). The infamous phrase "it's not you it's me" came to mind. Tried Japan : also bass issue. I was tempted to keep trying my luck but what are the odds? With all that money in transit I could have bought something else 🫠. Needless to say the pain of dealing with customer service and being put on hold for 25+ minutes telling me that I'm important to them but not enough to answer within 10 minutes. Oh they also hung up a couple of times after 30 mins. I'm certainly not enjoying this.

Hopefully @rlw6534 will come up with a solution faster than Sony 🥺, that's my only hope ATM, no pressure! haha

Perhaps an escalation is in order? It's rather easy to find the contact information for certain Sony executives, including the e-mail address for the CEO of Sony Japan.

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #2,635 of 4,139
Found this in the Sony JP website earlier tonight

IMG_0140.png

Attachments

• IMG_0140.png
    IMG_0140.png
    457.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #2,636 of 4,139

Liked what I heard of Bella Sonus - Thanks for sharing abitdeef.

listening to some "bass test" tracks using Beyerdynamic CP1 - Japanese A306 player is about the same, volume/bass frequency-wise as an older iphone w/ headphone jack. A306 is more controlled, but the frequency response is comparable - just commenting on the subjectiveness of using test tracks to ID the -10dB filter issue. Familiar tracks make the deficiency immediately apparent on known headphones. So, to that end, enjoyed digging out some old standby test tracks with low frequencies (sub testers :D ):
* "Overture from the Phantom of the Opera" - Chiller (Telarc compilation). Pipe organ, some very low, but subtle, sub-bass frequencies.
* "Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age" - "The Planets/Andre Previn & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" (Telarc recording). -the end has a sustained C1 during the last minute.
* Adagio in G-Minor - B-Tribe - synth bass drone under Spanish inspired nylon guitar.
not so old:
* "Lives Together" - Sally Shapiro (The Field remix) - on "Somewhere Else (Deluxe Edition). A low frequency bass drone, down tempo (the album isn't though).
newish:
* "Halfway" - Magdalena Bay on "Mercurial World" - Electronic pop - 808 hits around F1 with other synth around C1 (I think)

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #2,638 of 4,139
Found this in the Sony JP website earlier tonight

IMG_0140.png
Haha Sony swiping this one under the rug quietly…” improved low frequency characteristics”

They should say: fixed low frequency -10db drop defect.

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #2,639 of 4,139
got to say I’ve almost completely stopped using this little player due to the wifi chip interference leaking into my Andromeda iems on one channel. It’s very annoying Sony didn’t properly isolate the audio circuit. On the whole this player had been bit of a pain in the backside.. I’ve just gone back to my zx507 for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back