New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #2,611 of 4,139
That guys not advertising the bass defect, and neither is Sony lol. Really glad mine is working, from my experience with playing with the 507, 707 would be too big.
After reading some responses along the lines of "you just need to listen to different songs", I wonder, if there's going to be a patch/fix ever. The first step to solve an issue is to admit that it exists, right? 🥹

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,612 of 4,139
After reading some responses along the lines of "you just need to listen to different songs", I wonder, if there's going to be a patch/fix ever. The first step to solve an issue is to admit that it exists, right? 🥹

Dear lord who said listen to different songs? That's dumb. But yes there's been no official word from Sony. Hopefully more people notice and complain, I mean we're just a small number here. But if you've got a bad one and can send it back I would definitely. I think I had the bass problem on my first one and it was awful, I just chalked it up to the power cut but it was really weak in the low end.

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,613 of 4,139
Dear lord who said listen to different songs? That's dumb. But yes there's been no official word from Sony. Hopefully more people notice and complain, I mean we're just a small number here. But if you've got a bad one and can send it back I would definitely. I think I had the bass problem on my first one and it was awful, I just chalked it up to the power cut but it was really weak in the low end.
I already returned a couple, they were both defective (UK model). The infamous phrase "it's not you it's me" came to mind. Tried Japan : also bass issue. I was tempted to keep trying my luck but what are the odds? With all that money in transit I could have bought something else 🫠. Needless to say the pain of dealing with customer service and being put on hold for 25+ minutes telling me that I'm important to them but not enough to answer within 10 minutes. Oh they also hung up a couple of times after 30 mins. I'm certainly not enjoying this.

Hopefully @rlw6534 will come up with a solution faster than Sony 🥺, that's my only hope ATM, no pressure! haha

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,614 of 4,139
I already returned a couple, they were both defective (UK model). The infamous phrase "it's not you it's me" came to mind. Tried Japan : also bass issue. I was tempted to keep trying my luck but what are the odds? With all that money in transit I could have bought something else 🫠. Needless to say the pain of dealing with customer service and being put on hold for 25+ minutes telling me that I'm important to them but not enough to answer within 10 minutes. Oh they also hung up a couple of times after 30 mins. I'm certainly not enjoying this.

Hopefully @rlw6534 will come up with a solution faster than Sony 🥺, that's my only hope ATM, no pressure! haha

Didn't know you've returned that many, I thought you had a good one from UK. That's horrible luck, stay away from the tables 😉

Yes I'd get something else after that experience.

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #2,615 of 4,139
Is it too big to fit in a pocket?
I have the ZX707 and let me just say I’m now looking for a smaller DAP to use in the gym. For other situations it’s fine.

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #2,616 of 4,139
I have the ZX707 and let me just say I’m now looking for a smaller DAP to use in the gym. For other situations it’s fine.
yeah, that's the reason why I went for the nw-a306. I'm just disappointed that I need to fight this battle instead of just enjoy the product that I bought.

There are songs that are almost ok-ish but when there's bass it sounds so awful that it makes me upset, I put it in a box away from my sight until I have a chance to try anything sensible that can possibly fix it (e.g. new firmware or something else). I played with the EQ and improved a bit bit still it doesn't sound better than a phone!

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #2,617 of 4,139
I think we should all club together and pay for someone to fly over to Japan and buy as many devices that are correct and bring to all corners of the world. I feel for all that have had the disappointment of the bass and volume restricted settings issue. Sony should be totally ashamed on the way they've dealt with this situation, especially as it's been going on for a long time now 😡

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #2,618 of 4,139

gh0sty said:

"There are songs that are almost ok-ish but when there's bass it sounds so awful that it makes me upset"

This is why I am not sure if mine has the -10db.
Some tracks sound fine, others far from it - but is it the production I keep asking myself? :thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,619 of 4,139

gh0sty said:

"There are songs that are almost ok-ish but when there's bass it sounds so awful that it makes me upset"

This is why I am not sure if mine has the -10db.
Some tracks sound fine, others far from it - but is it the production I keep asking myself? :thinking:
Mind you, almost ok but it could be just a placebo effect (my case), my wallet and my brain not wanting to accept reality. I found this thread because I felt something wasn't right with my unit and it seems some other people felt the same. That in its own is suspicious. That's why REW and the instructions helped to clarify what we suspected.

Based on my past experience with defective devices (phones), this looks like a hardware issue (but as I said, what do I know?). The only hope I have that it's not hw is the fact that @rlw6534 somehow managed to get the issue fixed temporarily but even in that case, why whatever hardware we have is behaving that way? Why "software" needs to be written to consider that "exception" for the hardware that we have?

Not happy!

Regarding travelling to Japan, if I get the money back from all the attempts I can probably buy a return ticket with some budget airline 😅

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,620 of 4,139
Mind you, almost ok but it could be just a placebo effect (my case), my wallet and my brain not wanting to accept reality. I found this thread because I felt something wasn't right with my unit and it seems some other people felt the same. That in its own is suspicious. That's why REW and the instructions helped to clarify what we suspected.
I know what you mean.
I wouldn't go so far as saying I have a love / hate relationship with my A306, more a love / disappointment.

There are so many (new to me) cool features, but the battery life, its size and wide sound spectrum I do absolutely love.

I can manipulate 'most' music via the EQ to be close to what I like, but some tracks don't remotely come close. :pensive:

Those familiar with Bass Pedals know what their intended impact should be on music, but I've yet to experience that effect on the A306 and I am not sure if it is the unit, the headphones, or the technology.

I am perhaps comparing it unfairly since I listen to a lot of music on 5.1 when not travelling.

Are my expectations too high? :thinking:
Sadly I cannot technically prove if mine has the -10db due to my computer choice, so it remains a nagging source of disappointment for me at the moment, but that said, I still love the device overall and would not send it back to Hong Kong.

For now - I will have to await the final outcome from Sony.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,621 of 4,139
I know what you mean.
I wouldn't go so far as saying I have a love / hate relationship with my A306, more a love / disappointment.

There are so many (new to me) cool features, but the battery life, its size and wide sound spectrum I do absolutely love.

I can manipulate 'most' music via the EQ to be close to what I like, but some tracks don't remotely come close. :pensive:

Those familiar with Bass Pedals know what their intended impact should be on music, but I've yet to experience that effect on the A306 and I am not sure if it is the unit, the headphones, or the technology.

I am perhaps comparing it unfairly since I listen to a lot of music on 5.1 when not travelling.

Are my expectations too high? :thinking:
Sadly I cannot technically prove if mine has the -10db due to my computer choice, so it remains a nagging source of disappointment for me at the moment, but that said, I still love the device overall and would not send it back to Hong Kong.

For now - I will have to await the final outcome from Sony.

Hey AtomicUK what iems are you using? , sorry I forgot. You have to make sure they can produce some sub bass. You should be getting rumble on bass pedals. And I got this reply from Acessory Jack, if anyone wants to return theirs, they're a good outfit.

Screenshot_20230329-134728_Gmail.jpg

I did explain that mine temporarily acted wonky and that it was for others info and general peace of mind. So if we find out you do have it and it's hardware they have your/our backs

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #2,622 of 4,139
Hey AtomicUK what iems are you using? , sorry I forgot. You have to make sure they can produce some sub bass. You should be getting rumble on bass pedals. And I got this reply from Acessory Jack, if anyone wants to return theirs, they're a good outfit.

I did explain that mine temporarily acted wonky and that it was for others info and general peace of mind. So if we find out you do have it and it's hardware they have your/our backs
Currently I am using these two sets:
Etymotic ER3SE (Studio Edition) In-ears (Naturally these are a deliberately flatter sound so little bass)
Shure SE425 In-ears - These certainly add more bass and a fatter sound, but bass pedals do not remotely cut through.

I do want to try 'higher end' in-ears ideally, without buying and having to return... so I am hoping to find a shop on my travels where I can try before I buy.
FiiO FD7 /FH7s are on the list and ideally I don't want to spend 3 times the A306 cost.

Recommendations are always welcome!

Great to know about Accessory Jack's standpoint.
My problem is that I have a total of 7 weeks at home spread out over the full course of 2023 and I want the A306 with me as I travel the globe.

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #2,623 of 4,139
Ok here's a song that will help test your bass response on your a306. Make sure your iem can produce decent sub bass. Make sure you have adequate volume to them. I mean if you can use REW

Ok the double bass beats at the beginning should rumble I mean deep and you should feel it in your iems or headphones physically. There should be no doubt. Make sure you're on direct. If it's not rumbling you- those 2 bass beats amongst the percussion- Well then Houston we have a problem.

Artist Bella Sonus, album Enamored, song From a Standstill.

20230329_135714.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #2,624 of 4,139
Currently I am using these two sets:
Etymotic ER3SE (Studio Edition) In-ears (Naturally these are a deliberately flatter sound so little bass)
Shure SE425 In-ears - These certainly add more bass and a fatter sound, but bass pedals do not remotely cut through.

I do want to try 'higher end' in-ears ideally, without buying and having to return... so I am hoping to find a shop on my travels where I can try before I buy.
FiiO FD7 /FH7s are on the list and ideally I don't want to spend 3 times the A306 cost.

Recommendations are always welcome!

Great to know about Accessory Jack's standpoint.
My problem is that I have a total of 7 weeks at home spread out over the full course of 2023 and I want the A306 with me as I travel the globe.

Been a long time since I tried a shure, I'm nut sure ha ha 2 ba drivers are going to bring you heavy low bass. You don't have any dd drivers? Like for instance, I could take final e2000 or even tanchjim zero and they boom on the bass. And zero is fairly neutral but that dd I can feel on heavy bass.

On my first one, on direct it was weak even with dd's. So you might be OK. I'm just not shure how bassy the 425 are supposed to be. Usually the more ba the more bass can be produced, deep bass that it. It's why so many iems you both types of drivers, to get both speed and deep bass. But then you can have crossover problems. Plus single dd drivers are getting so good at speed and covering all the frequencies, well you get good coherence.like the fiio fd3 I checked out, very good everything!

Anyways I'm rambling.... maybe someone can chime in on how bassy 425 can get.

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,625 of 4,139
Ok here's a song that will help test your bass response on your a306. Make sure your iem can produce decent sub bass. Make sure you have adequate volume to them. I mean if you can use REW

Ok the double bass beats at the beginning should rumble I mean deep and you should feel it in your iems or headphones physically. There should be no doubt. Make sure you're on direct. If it's not rumbling you- those 2 bass beats amongst the percussion- Well then Houston we have a problem.

Artist Bella Sonus, album Enamored, song From a Standstill.
Never heard that track before but really liked it, so either way, thanks for sharing it!
Sadly no rumble deep or otherwise with the Shure IEMs, just a light 'thud thud' almost like hearing a heartbeat in the middle of the spectrum.

Using bass heavy EQ (see attached) I can hear it is actually a bass synth note and there is way more depth to it, but not a rumble.

IEMs or unit is still the question.... :thinking:

UPDATED:
Out of curiosity, I tried my flight noise cancelling Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones and they DID give me a rumble.
Maybe it's the IEMs after all? :thinking:

PXL_20230329_184427152~2_copy_567x1008.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back