New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 22, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #2,431 of 4,121
Well, that wasn't a very good test. After re-enabling of course the bass issue came back. And now disabling isn't making a difference. Very strange. Maybe sequence matters and I somehow did something different. I had debloated Mora and the Google apps from the settings (not adb). Sorry for the apparent misinformation but I will try to reproduce if I can.

Code:
adb shell pm list packages -d
package:com.google.android.youtube
package:com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
package:com.google.android.deskclock
package:com.google.android.gm
package:com.google.android.apps.tachyon
package:com.google.android.apps.nbu.files
package:com.google.android.apps.docs
package:com.google.android.apps.maps
package:com.google.android.calculator
package:com.google.android.videos
package:com.google.android.apps.photos
package:com.google.android.calendar
package:jp.co.labelgate.moratouch
package:com.google.android.apps.setupwizard.searchselector
package:com.google.android.apps.youtube.music
I'm sorry you are back to non-working :triportsad: and thank you for keep looking into this. I'm happy to follow any other order or change any other settings.

Just to share for people interested in knowing:

The unit I have has never been connected to the internet, the date set by default was 2022/11/22. I enabled DAC and ran all the tests without any account and with the setup half-done (as you need to tap some screens before you get to the "home screen"). So, if there's any kind of connection to any server it hasn't happened yet for this device.

Mar 22, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #2,433 of 4,121
I'm sorry you are back to non-working :triportsad: and thank you for keep looking into this. I'm happy to follow any other order or change any other settings.

Just to share for people interested in knowing:

The unit I have has never been connected to the internet, the date set by default was 2022/11/22. I enabled DAC and ran all the tests without any account and with the setup half-done (as you need to tap some screens before you get to the "home screen"). So, if there's any kind of connection to any server it hasn't happened yet for this device.

Try clearing the cache and storage from the sound adjustment app (from settings, apps)

fixedagain.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #2,436 of 4,121
do you mean before I disable it?

would the steps be the following:

1. Set DIRECT
2. Clear sound adjustment app cache (?)
3. Disable the sound adjustment app (?)
4 Reboot?

I set Direct and disabled the app first and then did a force stop and cleared the cache and storage. Reboot and I'm good again.

I started with a factory reset and full setup, including wifi and Google. I went ahead and debloated Mora and Google, except for the Play Store and services (and Chrome). I tested after each step and it went back to flat after the above. Maybe it's just some kind of glitch?

Mar 22, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #2,437 of 4,121
I set Direct and disabled the app first and then did a force stop and cleared the cache and storage. Reboot and I'm good again.

I started with a factory reset and full setup, including wifi and Google. I went ahead and debloated Mora and Google, except for the Play Store and services (and Chrome). I tested after each step and it went back to flat after the above. Maybe it's just some kind of glitch?
1679512402852.png

I did this before reading your message
1. Set Direct
2. Force stop
3. Clear storage (which also cleared cache)
4. Disabled the app
5. Back to DAC mode, Tested-->same issue
6. Reboot
7. Check storage and cache for the disable app and it is zero
8. Still on DAC mode, tested-->same issue

mora is not the app it uses for streaming music?
what did you actually do? removed the apps? or disabled the following:
Code:

This is my list of disabled apps (I just disabled 1 but 2 are shown..guessing that it's because the setup phase passed):
Code:
package:com.sony.walkman.soundeffectapp

I think the steps are equivalent but I'll do exactly what you did, maybe the factory reset is needed

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,438 of 4,121
I guess photos are the best way. A306 in miter case:
I had the Miter case briefly and returned it as it didn't fit. It was *very* tight and the A306 stuck out by 2mm at the end.
Your's does look like a better fit though!

I can only guess that this is due to one of:
1. Miter tolerances not great (unlikely - their quality is high)
2. Miter changed the design at some point
3. Yours loosened up slightly through use (most likely)

Anyway, the official A105 case fits better and is much nicer.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #2,439 of 4,121
1679512402852.png
I did this before reading your message
1. Set Direct
2. Force stop
3. Clear storage (which also cleared cache)
4. Back to DAC mode, Tested-->same issue
5. Reboot
6. Check storage and cache for the disable app and it is zero
7. Still on DAC mode, tested-->same issue

mora is not the app it uses for streaming music?
what did you actually do? removed the apps? or disabled the following:
Code:

This is my list of disabled apps (I just disabled 1 but 2 are shown..guessing that it's because the setup phase passed):
Code:
package:com.sony.walkman.soundeffectapp

I think the steps are equivalent but I'll do exactly what you did, maybe the factory reset is needed

I would suggest giving up. It must just be some kind of random glitch. Mine is back to low bass after a reboot. If I figure it out I'll certainly post.

Mar 22, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #2,440 of 4,121
I would suggest giving up. It must just be some kind of random glitch. Mine is back to low bass after a reboot. If I figure it out I'll certainly post.
I did observe more noise but that must be the PC. I tried disabling mora but it didn't work.

I checked each one of the apps and as you rightly said, they are mostly google apps that shouldn't interfere with the sound. Also if setting direct has some effect it should not matter whether we clear the cache or not as long as the app is disabled but clearly what do I know?

It's still interesting that somehow you managed to get a flat line, feel free to send a message or anything I could try. I've spent most day thinking about his and with renewed hope.

Needless to say: THANK YOU for all this effort

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #2,441 of 4,121
I did observe more noise but that must be the PC. I tried disabling mora but it didn't work.

I checked each one of the apps and as you rightly said, they are mostly google apps that shouldn't interfere with the sound. Also if setting direct has some effect it should not matter whether we clear the cache or not as long as the app is disabled but clearly what do I know?

It's still interesting that somehow you managed to get a flat line, feel free to send a message or anything I could try. I've spent most day thinking about his and with renewed hope.

Needless to say: THANK YOU for all this effort

I probably should have tested more before I posted, sorry about that. I was excited that I thought I had found a work-around until there is an official fix. If you want to try something crazy, turn it off for an hour or two and try again without doing anything else, go straight to DAC mode and measure. I can't imagine why that works but there may be a correlation there if I'm remembering correctly. Both times I had a flat response it was after the A306 had sat for a while turned off. Makes no sense though unless there is a background process that takes a while to start and messes with the sound. I'm positive that this morning the flat response survived a warm boot.

Feel free to laugh and ignore me at this point... :wink:

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #2,442 of 4,121
I probably should have tested more before I posted, sorry about that. I was excited that I thought I had found a work-around until there is an official fix. If you want to try something crazy, turn it off for an hour or two and try again without doing anything else, go straight to DAC mode and measure. I can't imagine why that works but there may be a correlation there if I'm remembering correctly. Both times I had a flat response it was after the A306 had sat for a while turned off. Makes no sense though unless there is a background process that takes a while to start and messes with the sound. I'm positive that this morning the flat response survived a warm boot.

that's fair enough, I can try that.

Just to share some details in case it is different for you:
  • the version I have for the OS in the JPN device is build number 1.00.12
  • the version of the sound adjustment app is 3.0.0
  • I also noticed that the UK version is seen by REW as "WALKMAN" whereas the JPN version as "Sony Audio" or "sony speakers" (I think I saw once but I might be hallucinating at this point).
  • When connected as file transfer the UK and JPN version both show "WALKMAN" as device.

I will set it as DAC, switch it off and try again later

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #2,443 of 4,121

Even if you didn't provide a solid fix I think you've provided the first real evidence that it's software based, which will be really useful for all the people thinking about returning theirs!

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #2,444 of 4,121
Cold boot fixes it again. I have no idea what's going on:

yetagain.jpg

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,445 of 4,121
Cold boot fixes it again. I have no idea what's going on:

yetagain.jpg
What would the instructions be for this?

I intend to do this

0. mora and sound effect are already disabled
1. Turn DAC on form the audio app
2. Switch off
3. Wait an hour
4. Switch ON the walkman
5. Open the audio app (already set to DAC)
6. connect to the computer and measure!

is that what you did? what about the build version that you have and the sound effect app?

thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back