New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 22, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #2,446 of 4,139
Even if you didn't provide a solid fix I think you've provided the first real evidence that it's software based, which will be really useful for all the people thinking about returning theirs!
I agree with this BUT now that somehow a "cold boot" works, is it because the hardware is cold or is it something with the software?

At this point I don't know but I hope it is software, it could well be!

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,447 of 4,139
What would the instructions be for this?

I intend to do this

0. mora and sound effect are already disabled
1. Turn DAC on form the audio app
2. Switch off
3. Wait an hour
4. Switch ON the walkman
5. Open the audio app (already set to DAC)
6. connect to the computer and measure!

is that what you did? what about the build version that you have and the sound effect app?

thanks again!

I did not have DAC mode set in the walkman app prior to turning off, other than that it's the same.

Build 1.00.12
Sound adjustment is 3.0.0

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #2,448 of 4,139
that's fair enough, I can try that.

Just to share some details in case it is different for you:
  • the version I have for the OS in the JPN device is build number 1.00.12
  • the version of the sound adjustment app is 3.0.0
  • I also noticed that the UK version is seen by REW as "WALKMAN" whereas the JPN version as "Sony Audio" or "sony speakers" (I think I saw once but I might be hallucinating at this point).
  • When connected as file transfer the UK and JPN version both show "WALKMAN" as device.

I will set it as DAC, switch it off and try again later

My Japan version shows in REW as "EXCL: Speakers (WALKMAN)". Obviously I'm using WASAPI exclusive mode.

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #2,449 of 4,139
My Japan version shows in REW as "EXCL: Speakers (WALKMAN)". Obviously I'm using WASAPI exclusive mode.
Interesting, that's the exact name I see for the UK version. I'm also using exclusive mode.

Part of the hardware seems to be coming from different places and identified differently (expected), so, right now I want to believe it would be an easy to fix software issue but we'll see if sony doesn't let us down.

I'm still a few mins away of the "appropriate time" for attempting the next test. If it doesn't work I'll go for the full factory reset and disable all the apps.

I appreciate your effort and I'm happy to test almost any idea. I don't think I'll be able to sleep until I can replicate the workaround 😅
:deadhorse:

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #2,450 of 4,139
Interesting, that's the exact name I see for the UK version. I'm also using exclusive mode.

Part of the hardware seems to be coming from different places and identified differently (expected), so, right now I want to believe it would be an easy to fix software issue but we'll see if sony doesn't let us down.

I'm still a few mins away of the "appropriate time" for attempting the next test. If it doesn't work I'll go for the full factory reset and disable all the apps.

I appreciate your effort and I'm happy to test almost any idea. I don't think I'll be able to sleep until I can replicate the workaround 😅
:deadhorse:

It doesn't seem consistent. Things that work the first time don't work the second. Very glitchy.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #2,451 of 4,139
Anyone on here managed to source an official type Sony case for their 306 or 307? I know there was some posts earlier in these posts but wondered if any new has come to light? It would be to be delivered to the UK.
Cheers Graham
I've finally gone ahead an ordered a genuine Sony CKS-NWA300/L (blue) from eBay for £50 delivered.
Sure it's twice the retail price, but if they are not going to be sold in the UK or USA, this includes the shipping and tax so seems a fair price.
Let's see if it actually arrives (estimated 1 -2 weeks) from the seemingly reputable seller..... :thinking:

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #2,452 of 4,139
I just tried with the app disabled and it didn't work but I discovered that the "disabled" app actually somehow exists as part of the audio app! I've recorded a video. I will try to upload in a few mins

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #2,453 of 4,139
I've finally gone ahead an ordered a genuine Sony CKS-NWA300/L (blue) from eBay for £50 delivered.
Sure it's twice the retail price, but if they are not going to be sold in the UK or USA, this includes the shipping and tax so seems a fair price.
Let's see if it actually arrives (estimated 1 -2 weeks) from the seemingly reputable seller..... :thinking:
can you share the link or seller name please? is it brought via DHL? (FYI there's a 11 GBP fee + VAT) but I agree. Not sure why it's so difficult to find them here

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #2,454 of 4,139
woof gonna hold off on this until bass issue is firmly resolved

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #2,455 of 4,139
I just opened an account in one of the authorised/approved head-fi sites :smile: don't judge me too much for my android (lack of) skills

this is what I recorded

• The disabled app UI seems somehow active but when trying to interact with it...crashes...so, it seems the player and the settings app are linked
  • Can be seen by swiping up from the DAC mode screen

Anyway, just another unsuccessful attempt but sharing the output. I'm now thinking what else I could disable but running out of ideas.

Edit: it can't be seen in the video BUT enabling DAC mode hides some settings or make them not accessible (e.g. USB settings)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #2,456 of 4,139
Watching the interchange with gh0sty and rlw6534 is very intriguing. I'd be curious if network connectivity influences this behavior - like account services, IPs, or something else network-based to try to determine some sort of software policy to apply (such as loading packages like amp limiter/capping, AVLS, volume warning, etc).

My JPN model also has build number 1.00.12 and has yet to be online since receipt - it does not have the bass problem (not REW validated, just A/B comparisons with an iPhone). FWIW, It powers itself off after 3 hours of non-use, so it's cold booted every time I use it.

Edit: and even cold booting is glitchy sometimes - sometimes the SD card isn't recognized.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #2,457 of 4,139
I agree with this BUT now that somehow a "cold boot" works, is it because the hardware is cold or is it something with the software?

At this point I don't know but I hope it is software, it could well be!
I think it if it was due to temperature then we'd see far less consistency, unless every single one if has the same temperate house, I guess someone could try cooling and warming their Walkman 😂

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #2,458 of 4,139
I think it if it was due to temperature then we'd see far less consistency, unless every single one if has the same temperate house, I guess someone could try cooling and warming their Walkman 😂
:smile: don't say it too loud, I might end up finding a place for it in the freezer and then complaint about other issues (e.g. not being IP68 rated)

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,459 of 4,139
Watching the interchange with gh0sty and rlw6534 is very intriguing. I'd be curious if network connectivity influences this behavior - like account services, IPs, or something else network-based to try to determine some sort of software policy to apply (such as loading packages like amp limiter/capping, AVLS, volume warning, etc).

My JPN model also has build number 1.00.12 and has yet to be online since receipt - it does not have the bass problem (not REW validated, just A/B comparisons with an iPhone). FWIW, It powers itself off after 3 hours of non-use, so it's cold booted every time I use it.

Edit: and even cold booting is glitchy sometimes - sometimes the SD card isn't recognized.
I have the UK and JPN version, the UK already met "The Internet" but the JPN version has never ever connected to WiFi. I don't think internet plays a role here (but then...what do I know!?).

The JPN model went straight from opened to REW without even finishing the setup. No SD card inserted at that time. I also spotted a weird bug recognising the SD card. It didn't work when I inserted the card while not having the player app opened (despite the content being accessible via "files" or any other app). I had to eject and re-insert while the player app was opened to be able to read its content. Not a biggie but mentioning.

--

I keep looking at the disabled apps mentioned by @rlw6534 and given that I have never connected I'm struggling to see a link between them and the bass issue YET I disabled some of them and still didn't work. I'll continue with the rest but super frustrating.

@rlw6534 is there a possibility that you can test without disabling the google apps and just disabling jp.co.labelgate.moratouch and com.sony.walkman.soundeffectapp as suspects? can you still get the flat line (even if it is glitchy / random)?

(I know it is annoying and a lot to ask so I understand if you don't want to try)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #2,460 of 4,139
I finally bit the bullet too and just ordered from Japan on eBay too for $42. Got tired of waiting to see if they will be available for US owners. I dropped it on my hard tile floor couple days ago and luckily I did no harm and I immediately went on eBay and bought a genuine silicone case lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back