New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #1,801 of 4,121
Even on daps that do 16x mqa I still prefer real hi res stuff to play locally. I doubt my ears can even tell between how many unfolds there are. I think personally some of the tidal masters stuff sounds to have a bit more air and maybe not as dense, which is sometimes very nice depending upon what you're listening to.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #1,802 of 4,121
How again can we test our units for the bass 'issue'?

Please clarify if I got this correctly:
- Headphone out on A306 to 3.5mm in to laptop
- Load the sweep file in A306
- But this is where I'm unsure - which app to use on Windows and what would the settings be?

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #1,803 of 4,121
24531897-8B47-4C4F-9E36-75E4610960ED.jpeg

This little guy is so cute and powerful for its size

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #1,804 of 4,121
How again can we test our units for the bass 'issue'?

Please clarify if I got this correctly:
- Headphone out on A306 to 3.5mm in to laptop
- Load the sweep file in A306
- But this is where I'm unsure - which app to use on Windows and what would the settings be?
There’s some tutorials explaining all-I believe around page 50 on this thread

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #1,806 of 4,121
24531897-8B47-4C4F-9E36-75E4610960ED.jpeg
This little guy is so cute and powerful for its size
Yeah, I thought it would be bigger at first (didn't look at dimensions before buying lol) and was afraid of pocketability (coming from an Shanling M1). I was pleasantly surprised, that it was this small. It's taller than the Shanling, sure, but it also is thinner! All in all a great size, good compromise between size and usability of the Android OS

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #1,807 of 4,121
Registered an account here just so I could chime in with some information on the lack of bass issue.

I bought an A306 in Hong Kong and unfortunately end up with one of the defective units that have bass roll off. Brought it to Sony repairs to see what they can do about it, the technician there said that he cannot determine if it is a hardware issue since for all they know it may very well be how Sony intended it to sound like. I argued that are units with normal amount of bass, and he agreed to do some more test with other A306s as well as asking around a bit with other repair centers to see if they received similar complaints.

One thing interesting is that he claimed I am the first person to report such an issue to them (the repair center). Has anyone tried to send their unit in for repairs regarding the lack of bass?

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #1,808 of 4,121
Registered an account here just so I could chime in with some information on the lack of bass issue.

I bought an A306 in Hong Kong and unfortunately end up with one of the defective units that have bass roll off. Brought it to Sony repairs to see what they can do about it, the technician there said that he cannot determine if it is a hardware issue since for all they know it may very well be how Sony intended it to sound like. I argued that are units with normal amount of bass, and he agreed to do some more test with other A306s as well as asking around a bit with other repair centers to see if they received similar complaints.

One thing interesting is that he claimed I am the first person to report such an issue to them (the repair center). Has anyone tried to send their unit in for repairs regarding the lack of bass?

It doesn't answer your question, but there is a post on Reddit saying that a shop in Vietnam reported the issue to Sony.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #1,813 of 4,121
Just grab a 3.5bal to 4.4bal adapter from Taobao. I have 2 similar cables, one in 3.5, another in 4.4 so that I can use to compare. With using the adapter, I immediately notice wider soundstage and harder bass. Sounds overall becomes cleaner and darker, maybe a little bit louder and a little bit more details(!?) Funny thing is the interfere noise from wifi seems to go away too.

PXL_20230308_080033724.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #1,814 of 4,121
Just grab a 3.5bal to 4.4bal adapter from Taobao. I have 2 similar cables, one in 3.5, another in 4.4 so that I can use to compare. With using the adapter, I immediately notice wider soundstage and harder bass. Sounds overall becomes cleaner and darker, with slightly improve in output power and details. Funny thing is the interfere noise from wifi seems to go away too.

I noticed the cleaner/darker, not output power which Technically there shouldn't be anyway, it only splits earths.

Will try again ref the harder bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back