New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 28, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #1,516 of 4,118
Lyzar- Well with dx 170, you do have a lot more power on tap and the newer versions of ibasso stuff are really excellent. If you don't mind a bigger dap I think that would be a good choice too. How something sounds is subjective and depends a lot on the iems, phones one is using.

But from my experience with dx160 I'd say the dx170 would have a wider soundtage and better sub bass, and cleaner output. Heck even dco3 pro does. Now of course Sony is much smaller and just a fantastic form factor. And of course it sounds fantastic also. I myself love compact daps. 😀 just saying from having dx 240, dx 160 ibasso has upped their game and the dx 170 would be a good choice also. Imo.

Also please note I've always used the balanced outs on daps that have them.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #1,517 of 4,118
Good news from UAPP developer, I asked him to add in for A300 & ZX700 series after some testing. Should not have to manually configure now.

I have added the two device models for next release.
Kind regards,
Davy Wentzler
eXtream Software Development

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,518 of 4,118
Lyzar- Well with dx 170, you do have a lot more power on tap and the newer versions of ibasso stuff are really excellent. If you don't mind a bigger dap I think that would be a good choice too. How something sounds is subjective and depends a lot on the iems, phones one is using.

But from my experience with dx160 I'd say the dx170 would have a wider soundtage and better sub bass, and cleaner output. Heck even dco3 pro does. Now of course Sony is much smaller and just a fantastic form factor. And of course it sounds fantastic also. I myself love compact daps. 😀 just saying from having dx 240, dx 160 ibasso has upped their game and the dx 170 would be a good choice also. Imo.

Also please note I've always used the balanced outs on daps that have them.
True, Audio stuff can be really hard to objectively recommend. Wish I could test somewhere easily here before buying. The iBasso was and still is on my list. It would definitely be larger and heavier than my shanling M1 (as would the A306 be, just less so).
The iBasso also would definitely be more free of bugs and other early adopter problems I guess. Can you tell me anything about iBassos support and update policy? I just don't want a device that will be a security risk super quickly and I know Sony commits to atleast two years of updates (from what I heard, might be wrong). Battery life on the Sony is obviously higher, but I guess that is due to less power and smaller screen (which could be seen as an advantage or disadvantage; I usually prefer smaller devices).
I read somewhere that the Sony is 35mW of output. Just don't know if at 32 Ohms or at 16... If that would be at 32 then that's exactly what my shanling has. Meaning that I would probably be fine, but the power of the iBasso leaves more headroom :/ super torn on the decision
So thankful for every piece of input from you guys (and gals?)

Feb 28, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,519 of 4,118
True, Audio stuff can be really hard to objectively recommend. Wish I could test somewhere easily here before buying. The iBasso was and still is on my list. It would definitely be larger and heavier than my shanling M1 (as would the A306 be, just less so).
The iBasso also would definitely be more free of bugs and other early adopter problems I guess. Can you tell me anything about iBassos support and update policy? I just don't want a device that will be a security risk super quickly and I know Sony commits to atleast two years of updates (from what I heard, might be wrong). Battery life on the Sony is obviously higher, but I guess that is due to less power and smaller screen (which could be seen as an advantage or disadvantage; I usually prefer smaller devices).
I read somewhere that the Sony is 35mW of output. Just don't know if at 32 Ohms or at 16... If that would be at 32 then that's exactly what my shanling has. Meaning that I would probably be fine, but the power of the iBasso leaves more headroom :/ super torn on the decision

Yep testing them before you buy would be the ideal way. The Sony is 35mw @ 16 ohms. If you don't get a capped one, 😉 I'm really not sure about updates on ibasso units but they seemed to be fairly regular. I don't use too much on an android dap just really players, streaming services, and YouTube.

The nice thing about the Sony is it's small enough to use for workouts and doing chores etc. You can slip it in a jeans pocket or shorts/shirt pocket and it just disappears. But still sounds good enough for some serious listening if you choose. And if you want more power a cheap dongle will do, or expensive if you choose. But for 60 bucks you can get a tempo tech or ibasso like I have that will power bigger cans decently. Or if you want a bit different sound signature.

I'd feel more confident if Sony addressed this bass problem. I mean it would be an easier recommendation. And it will play your 599's, it's just with even the lower ohm HD series senns, more power makes them sound better imo.

Probably just comes down to if you want a small pocketable dap or a normal sized dap. I'd still wait on a306 though, and don't get capped version. You could always try other daps from Amazon while you're waiting.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,520 of 4,118
Yep testing them before you buy would be the ideal way. The Sony is 35mw @ 16 ohms. If you don't get a capped one, 😉 I'm really not sure about updates on ibasso units but they seemed to be fairly regular. I don't use too much on an android dap just really players, streaming services, and YouTube.

The nice thing about the Sony is it's small enough to use for workouts and doing chores etc. You can slip it in a jeans pocket or shorts/shirt pocket and it just disappears. But still sounds good enough for some serious listening if you choose. And if you want more power a cheap dongle will do, or expensive if you choose. But for 60 bucks you can get a tempo tech or ibasso like I have that will power bigger cans decently. Or if you want a bit different sound signature.

I'd feel more confident if Sony addressed this bass problem. I mean it would be an easier recommendation. And it will play your 599's, it's just with even the lower ohm HD series senns, more power makes them sound better imo.

Probably just comes down to if you want a small pocketable dap or a normal sized dap. I'd still wait on a306 though, and don't get capped version. You could always try other daps from Amazon while you're waiting.
Once again thank you :)
Will probably get a new cable for my Sennheiser IE200s (balanced one) after the new DAP. Might fit a DAC/AMP into that order, if I go with the Sony

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #1,521 of 4,118
iBasso is very good. Their products aren’t necessarily better quality than anyone else, but the customer service and value are off the charts. You won’t go wrong with them. Paul (iBasso rep) is very active on the threads and is very responsive by email.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #1,522 of 4,118
iBasso is very good. Their products aren’t necessarily better quality than anyone else, but the customer service and value are off the charts. You won’t go wrong with them. Paul (iBasso rep) is very active on the threads and is very responsive by email.
Thanks for the reassurance :) I might have already bought something today (literally minutes ago) :ksc75smile: just wanna wait for it to arrive and see how I like it, before I declare how much of an idiot I might be, lol

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,523 of 4,118
Good news from UAPP developer, I asked him to add in for A300 & ZX700 series after some testing. Should not have to manually configure now.

I have added the two device models for next release.
Kind regards,
Davy Wentzler
eXtream Software Development
awesome! thanks for the info👍
that means UAPP will support hi-res driver for those 2 devices, right?

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #1,524 of 4,118
awesome! thanks for the info👍
that means UAPP will support hi-res driver for those 2 devices, right?
It does anyway but have to set flags manually and it does say No internal HiRes DAC detected currently.

With upcoming version it should recognise the two Sony's and automate the settings.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,526 of 4,118
I have read the instructions for measuring (out of curiosity) and have a question, just in case I will get into a situation, where I should measure a DAP:
If I have a Beringer UMC22 audio device can I connect the DAP with a 3,5mm to 6,25mm cable to the main Instrument/XLR-Combo Jack? I sadly only have a Laptop with a combo jack otherwise, lol

And no damage could happen to the DAP, correct?

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #1,527 of 4,118
What did you buy? Lol 😆
Maybe I did take the easy route, buying a A306 from Amazon, so I can return if the power is way off (will mostly be using it with the IE200, if the HD 599s are as good as on the pixel, I am fine till I get a DAC Dongle for it) or if I can measure the bass issue, lol. Basically if that doesn't work for me, I'll send it back and get the iBasso DX170
TLDR: I did what you told me not to do, sorry:frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,528 of 4,118
Maybe I did take the easy route, buying a A306 from Amazon, so I can return if the power is way off (will mostly be using it with the IE200, if the HD 599s are as good as on the pixel, I am fine till I get a DAC Dongle for it) or if I can measure the bass issue, lol. Basically if that doesn't work for me, I'll send it back and get the iBasso DX170
TLDR: I did what you told me not to do, sorry:frowning2:

Lol, well at least you can check out how nice the unit is. And the measurement will help us too! Well I hated the capped one, but I suspect it had the bass issue on top of it. Plus I didn't like the warning that would come up. But hey at least you get to check one out in hand. Also BT output doesn't have the bass or low power issue. Plus there's no shortage of dongles.

And if you really like it, it's easy to get one uncapped. I'm pretty sure Sony will Straighten this out. No it's cool you ordered one to check out. Can't wait to hear what you think 😀

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #1,529 of 4,118
I have read the instructions for measuring (out of curiosity) and have a question, just in case I will get into a situation, where I should measure a DAP:
If I have a Beringer UMC22 audio device can I connect the DAP with a 3,5mm to 6,25mm cable to the main Instrument/XLR-Combo Jack? I sadly only have a Laptop with a combo jack otherwise, lol

And no damage could happen to the DAP, correct?

I believe that could work. Obviously you would need to select the Beringer USB interface as the input for REW.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,530 of 4,118
i have the ibasso 170 and its good. battery is about 10 hours or so but it has quick charge so its no big deal. sounds good. it fast enough for me to do anything, tidal, poweramp, pocket casts etc.

the only thing i dont like is parts of their android that arent too polished like chromecast natively doesnt recognise any of my devices at all, ive posted it to paul ibasso but as yet no response. other minor things like ui colour inconsistencies with apps etc.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...t-here-new-firmware-1-03.964120/post-17420280

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back