iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,097 of 1,665
Hey,

been an owner for a few months now but I could not resolve one particular issue: My device reboots/crashes randomly for no apparent reason. It may happen when using the device, browsing menus or it may happen during playback or song change. Crashes may occur frequently/repeatedly or until a "good run", which may last for several hours/days without any issues.

Newest firmware has been applied and I've deleted most stuff while settlings for Google Play. A factory reset did not improve things (nor made them worse, I guess)

Using USB Audio Player Pro as primary player but it also happens with Mango.

Fiio Music does not work, cannot pick up on the library or any tracks for matter (anyone else can confirm this behavior? According to the debug prints any file it finds is "too small" to be valid. Apparently has issues on the file system access end of things, despite being allowed in settings?)

I've setup USB Debug now and may be able to provide some logs/stack traces down the line, should it crash again in the near future.
Please try the Recovery method. You have the DX170 off. Hold the play button only. Plug the USB C in and into a charger. This will boot into the Recovery menu. You then use the volume wheel to navigate to data wipe/reset and push the power button. This clears any issues and hopefully will clear this issue.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 23, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #1,099 of 1,665
The best Smartphone i ever heard is still worse than the cheapest DAP i've heard so far.

Every 20€ USB Dongle sounds better than the best smartphone, i think the only thing less than using a smartphoone would be using your imagination
I disrespectfully disagree with this nonsense. HTC 10 destroyed Ibasso DC03 in literally every way. LG V10 sounds more natural, neutral and detailed than Xduoo Link2 Bal. Not to mention the treble extension,. there is no comparison. The control was better on both smartphones. For those comparisons, I used HD 599SE and Focal Listen Pro.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,100 of 1,665
@Paul - iBasso why does Chromecast not work on this version of android using standard apps. For example on Tidal here is what I see on the DX170 vs my Pixel smartphone and its the same for all apps

Screenshot_20230223-195359.png

above the ibasso

below pixel 2 smartphone both running android 11

Screenshot_20230223-195527.png

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #1,104 of 1,665
Ok, so I had asked iBasso support about my questions from before and turns out that system wide "SRC Bypass" also includes Bit-Perfect Output to connected USB devices and it's not just to DX170's own internal DACs.

I went ahead and purchased the DAP and it arrived 3 days ago. It was a Pre-Owned unit so no Burn-In was necessary and it was only a month old and cost me roughly 360 USD which isn't a great deal but, still it's a nicer price when compared to brand new.

I reset the device, added my account and was installing some essential Apps like USB Audio Player, Apple Music, YouTube... e.t.c. and was immediately disappointed by how laggy the UI was, still I wanted to see if some of the things that were suggested here like disabling Apkpure, Animations e.t.c. would improve things. The things is, even before that, as soon as all Apps were installed and setup, the overall experience improved a lot. My guess is, all the background updates and installs were a bit too taxing for the DX170 to handle but once these were done, the overall experience was much better. I still went ahead and disabled Apkpure and animations after installing Google Play. I have zero issues with how the DX170 handles UI speeds, Track loading, App openning... e.t.c so far. It's not as fast as my LG V60 sure but it's not stuttering and freezing so that's nice... just don't try to run more than 2-3 Apps at once.

The most important thing is the sound and I like what the DX170 has to offer. It's got a musical sound signature that reminds me a bit of the iFi xDSD Gryphon, Gryphon is a bit more refined sounding, has slightly better sound overall and is a tiny bit more extended at both ends but it's not a huge difference between them. The DX170 has a medium soundstage with decent depth and layering capabilities. The Lows are fairly linear, it's got some warmth in the Mid range and adds some sparkle in the Treble without sounding bright or flat with any of my IEMs & Headphones. Power isn't an issue either with it driving my Edition XS reasonably well in High Gain.

I actually bought the DX170 just to use it as a source for my other DACs like Gryphon, Mojo 2 & RS2 but it's actually not bad on it's own. I tried pairing the Topping NX7 and using the DX170's Line-Out too, there wasn't a big improvement in sound so I guess the internal Amp inside the DX170 is a pretty decent one.

In DAC mode, there is a slight delay in sound just like the HiBy RS2 so I'm guessing this is common to all DAPs. As a Bluetooth DAC, the sound quality with AAC Codec (have not tested SBC) is pretty good. There is no LDAC in receiving mode which was something I was aware of before buying the DAP but again there is some delay here. What is not so good is Bluetooth Range, It cuts out sometimes even if my own body gets in between the DX170 and my Phone which is placed across the room.

I have yet to test the battery life but my guess is that it'll give me atleast 6 hours when using Balance Out and using IEMs while streaming music online. Again, this is just my guess after having a few ~3-4 hour listening sessions, I'll update here if I find the time to test this.

P.S. I like how light weight and easy to carry this is, only downside for me is the volume knob which is sometimes hard to reach and adjust. A thicker or more protruding one would have been nice. The Display is also pretty nice, with some decent contrast, much more impressive is how sharp everything is coming from the HiBy RS2.

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,106 of 1,665
Ok, so I had asked iBasso support about my questions from before and turns out that system wide "SRC Bypass" also includes Bit-Perfect Output to connected USB devices and it's not just to DX170's own internal DACs.

I went ahead and purchased the DAP and it arrived 3 days ago. It was a Pre-Owned unit so no Burn-In was necessary and it was only a month old and cost me roughly 360 USD which isn't a great deal but, still it's a nicer price when compared to brand new.

I reset the device, added my account and was installing some essential Apps like USB Audio Player, Apple Music, YouTube... e.t.c. and was immediately disappointed by how laggy the UI was, still I wanted to see if some of the things that were suggested here like disabling Apkpure, Animations e.t.c. would improve things. The things is, even before that, as soon as all Apps were installed and setup, the overall experience improved a lot. My guess is, all the background updates and installs were a bit too taxing for the DX170 to handle but once these were done, the overall experience was much better. I still went ahead and disabled Apkpure and animations after installing Google Play. I have zero issues with how the DX170 handles UI speeds, Track loading, App openning... e.t.c so far. It's not as fast as my LG V60 sure but it's not stuttering and freezing so that's nice... just don't try to run more than 2-3 Apps at once.

The most important thing is the sound and I like what the DX170 has to offer. It's got a musical sound signature that reminds me a bit of the iFi xDSD Gryphon, Gryphon is a bit more refined sounding, has slightly better sound overall and is a tiny bit more extended at both ends but it's not a huge difference between them. The DX170 has a medium soundstage with decent depth and layering capabilities. The Lows are fairly linear, it's got some warmth in the Mid range and adds some sparkle in the Treble without sounding bright or flat with any of my IEMs & Headphones. Power isn't an issue either with it driving my Edition XS reasonably well in High Gain.

I actually bought the DX170 just to use it as a source for my other DACs like Gryphon, Mojo 2 & RS2 but it's actually not bad on it's own. I tried pairing the Topping NX7 and using the DX170's Line-Out too, there wasn't a big improvement in sound so I guess the internal Amp inside the DX170 is a pretty decent one.

In DAC mode, there is a slight delay in sound just like the HiBy RS2 so I'm guessing this is common to all DAPs. As a Bluetooth DAC, the sound quality with AAC Codec (have not tested SBC) is pretty good. There is no LDAC in receiving mode which was something I was aware of before buying the DAP but again there is some delay here. What is not so good is Bluetooth Range, It cuts out sometimes even if my own body gets in between the DX170 and my Phone which is placed across the room.

I have yet to test the battery life but my guess is that it'll give me atleast 6 hours when using Balance Out and using IEMs while streaming music online. Again, this is just my guess after having a few ~3-4 hour listening sessions, I'll update here if I find the time to test this.

P.S. I like how light weight and easy to carry this is, only downside for me is the volume knob which is sometimes hard to reach and adjust. A thicker or more protruding one would have been nice. The Display is also pretty nice, with some decent contrast, much more impressive is how sharp everything is coming from the HiBy RS2.
If you don't have any issues with UAPP and DX170 you must be the only one... Even its developer recognizes its issues.
UAPP took 6-7 hours to scan my SD card with less than 25000 songs (Neutron took about 10 minutes). And the worst thing is that the years of most albums do not appear, and when I add a new one, it still takes forever to detect it.

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #1,107 of 1,665
If you don't have any issues with UAPP and DX170 you must be the only one... Even its developer recognizes its issues.
UAPP took 6-7 hours to scan my SD card with less than 25000 songs (Neutron took about 10 minutes). And the worst thing is that the years of most albums do not appear, and when I add a new one, it still takes forever to detect it.
Mine is a different use case, I mostly used Apple Music after downloading ~1,400 songs for offline use. I also spent some time browsing and playing my own Library on a NAS via a File Explorer and did not have any issues. I even spent some time streaming 1080p YouTube and it worked fine.

I think the main reason why our experiences with the DX170 differ is cause I don't have a Library of 20,000+ songs. Have you tried using the stock Mango Player? If the issue persists then maybe get the newer HiBy R6 Gen III or some higher tier DAP. The extra RAM, better CPU might give you a better experience.

Alternatively, since you already have a huge Library of files and if you don't rely too much on streaming services then get a sleak portable DAC like Gryphon and pair it with your phone and enjoy fast speeds in UAPP and better sound... you won't have system wide SRC bypass but everything else will work.

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #1,108 of 1,665
Mine is a different use case, I mostly used Apple Music after downloading ~1,400 songs for offline use. I also spent some time browsing and playing my own Library on a NAS via a File Explorer and did not have any issues. I even spent some time streaming 1080p YouTube and it worked fine.

I think the main reason why our experiences with the DX170 differ is cause I don't have a Library of 20,000+ songs. Have you tried using the stock Mango Player? If the issue persists then maybe get the newer HiBy R6 Gen III or some higher tier DAP. The extra RAM, better CPU might give you a better experience.

Alternatively, since you already have a huge Library of files and if you don't rely too much on streaming services then get a sleak portable DAC like Gryphon and pair it with your phone and enjoy fast speeds in UAPP and better sound... you won't have system wide SRC bypass but everything else will work.
I don’t like Mango player, its PEQ is ridiculous.
I just bought the DX170. I can’t throw more money in another DAP.
I don’t like dongles or things like the Gryphon. I don’t want to play music with my phone, that’s the reason I bought a DAP. Although I have a qudelix 5k, it’s better than other BT dongles because its clear sound and its wonderful app with excellent PEQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back