New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,488 of 4,137
I feel like there had to be some kind of pushback on the thought the issue can be fixed with simply additional sound processing. And I want it to be clear there is something fundamentally wrong with devices presenting the issue.
Can someone share this Sony thread please?

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,492 of 4,137
@UselessInf0 I added my 2c about our meetup on the Sony post. I have my fingers crossed that they come back with a response soon so folks can return their units if needed within the various return windows...

I liked the 'quite painful to listen to' part. 😀 It's like ear abuse, nice touch.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #1,494 of 4,137
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,496 of 4,137
Yeah, so my cousin's theory is this is a software issue and the root cause of the software issue is the volume cap.

Somehow Sony screwed up during the mass production process of this model by cross pollinating "software" and/or "software configuration settings".

Consider these examples:

* Units with No Cap & No bass issue - these units received 100% intended correct versions of software and configuration settings.

* Units with No Cap but with bass issue - these units received a Frankenstein build of the software and configuration settings. There are no user visible volume warnings or notifications however they received incorrect software and/or configuration settings that were potentially meant for capped units that end up Fingup frequency response

* Units with a Cap & No bass issue - these units received the 100% intended software and configuration to cap volume and provide the complimentary user visible volume warnings and notifications.

* Units with a Cap & bass issue - these units received a Frankenstein build of the software and configuration settings. There is a cap and are there are complimentary user visible volume warnings and notifications however they received incorrect software and/or configuration settings that were potentially meant for non-capped units that end up Fingup frequency response.

I'm trying to buy into this theory of a software and configuration issue. This is the easiest fix for everyone. What do you all think?

FYI, on the Sony forum I also received the message from the moderator "JessieP".
This was exactly my thinking a few threads back looks like the factory messed up and put the capped sofware on uncapped destination units your unit defintly sounds like a Euro capped one ,,,Even more curious was the US versions ever meant to capped?...or it was a big screw up somewhere along the production lines

Feb 27, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #1,498 of 4,137
well hopefully Sony addresses the 10dB drop and releases a fix. Anyone read anything about users in Japan also experiencing this?
Good question? I have a Japan model with the issue. I wonder if i do a android reset and chose Japanese as my language if the issue still persists or if it magically disappears. Imagine if it did 🤣

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #1,499 of 4,137
well hopefully Sony addresses the 10dB drop and releases a fix. Anyone read anything about users in Japan also experiencing this?

Wonder what's the Japanese forum equivalent of Head-fi since I haven't seen anything using Google Translate so far.

Looking at the Amazon JP page reviews, seems that there are more users listening via Bluetooth and complaining about connectivity issues instead so maybe that's why the lack of bass issue isn't made well-known yet over there.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #1,500 of 4,137
Wonder what's the Japanese forum equivalent of Head-fi since I haven't seen anything using Google Translate so far.

Looking at the Amazon JP page reviews, seems that there are more users listening via Bluetooth and complaining about connectivity issues instead so maybe that's why the lack of bass issue isn't made well-known yet over there.
Yes, I had no bass issues when paired to my Sony WH-1000XM3 via Bluetooth LDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back