New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 15, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #811 of 4,116
So would we do this in USB DAC mode and loopback the 3.5 jack to the line-in on the computer?
I'm thinking 3.5mm A307 to 3.5mm into PC mic socket? Playing the emilsoft YouTube file on the A307.

Not the way? Risk killing anything ? Think 2nd video shows him capturing a frequency sweep. Only had a quick scan look.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #813 of 4,116
I'm thinking 3.5mm A307 to 3.5mm into PC mic socket? Playing the emilsoft YouTube file on the A307.

Not the way? Risk killing anything ? Think 2nd video shows him capturing a frequency sweep. Only had a quick scan look.

I think it is best to use line-in and not microphone. Isn't the microphone input very low level?

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #814 of 4,116
Well, measurements would suggest my ears are not as good as I thought. Sony A306 (JP uncapped) in red, Hiby R5 in blue (as a reference):

sweep.jpg

REW on Windows 10. USB DAC mode as output, line-in as input. Level matched at -12 dBFS. 44.1 kHz using "calibrate soundcard" under preferences and "All SPL" on graph settings. I used the video above as a guide.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #815 of 4,116
Well, measurements would suggest my ears are not as good as I thought. Sony A306 (JP) in red, Hiby R5 in blue (as a reference):

sweep.jpg
Hahaha that’s mad, I just can’t believe Sony would sell us this.. That’s excellent measurement to showcase this issue - nice job.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #816 of 4,116
Well, measurements would suggest my ears are not as good as I thought. Sony A306 (JP) in red, Hiby R5 in blue (as a reference):

I was right then, its down to us individually. Some have far more resolving ears/minds.

I'm happy with what I hear so its a non-issue for me but looks like it is how Sony have decided to tune it !

That's why this forum can't be taken as gospel, we all have to listen for ourselves with our own unique ears.

I can see an imminent firmware update from Sony with the complaints.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #817 of 4,116
I was right then, its down to us individually. Some have far more resolving ears/minds.

I'm happy with what I hear so its a non-issue for me but looks like it is how Sony have decided to tune it !

That's why this forum can't be taken as gospel, we all have to listen for ourselves with our own unique ears.

I can see an imminent firmware update from Sony with the complaints.
Is it possible the nwa105 also has a roll off?

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #818 of 4,116
Is it possible the nwa105 also has a roll off?
Are you a youngster with still perfect hearing? I'm 56 so mine will be past their prime.

I had Hiby R5 & R5GII and I can't honestly say I'm noticing a drop in bass response vs the A307 so maybe my ears? Who knows, see what Sony come back with I suppose.

I'm still perfectly happy with what I'm hearing regardless.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #819 of 4,116
Are you a youngest with still perfect hearing? I'm 56 so mine will be past their prime.

I had Hiby R5 & R5GII and I can't honestly say I'm noticing a drop in bass response vs the A307 so maybe my ears? Who knows, see what Sony come back with I suppose.

I'm about to hit 60 and work in the music business, so my hearing is shot on one side anyway! :upside_down:

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #820 of 4,116
Are you a youngest with still perfect hearing? I'm 56 so mine will be past their prime.

Looks it's still possible yours doesn't have this issue, just because a number of us a reporting problems doesn't mean all have it. Without measuring you'll never be 100% sure.

I produce music and have a studio so my hearing is very attuned to irregularities, this was like a slap in the face for me as soon as I heard it.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #821 of 4,116
Very good findings!, based on all measurements now the capped version is not that bad :sweat_smile:

I would like to measure my Japanese A307 too but I don't have any line in, I have only 2 laptops.. and I wouldn't trust in my ears..

If I can figure out any way to measure it, I will open a support case with Sony too, hopefully is a firmware issue only!

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #822 of 4,116
Very good findings!, based on all measurements now the capped version is not that bad :sweat_smile:

I would like to measure my Japanese A307 too but I don't have any line in, I have only 2 laptops.. and I wouldn't trust in my ears..

If I can figure out any way to measure it, I will open a support case with Sony too, hopefully is a firmware issue only!

If it sounds too bright/lean when you play dance tracks compared to your other sources, you can be 90% sure it's got the issue and you can raise the issue with Sony :wink:

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #823 of 4,116
Looks it's still possible yours doesn't have this issue, just because a number of us a reporting problems doesn't mean all have it. Without measuring you'll never be 100% sure.

I produce music and have a studio so my hearing is very attuned to irregularities, this was like a slap in the face for me as soon as I heard it.

I think rlw6534 saying his were fine to him and now showing his chart shows same, its your sensitive ears that are right by the looks of it.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #824 of 4,116
Quick how to:

Install REW. Put the device (A306) in USB DAC mode connected to your computer (you have to open the Walkman player and select the mode in addition to the popup from USB connect). Connect the 3.5 mm to your computer line in.

Start REW and select "Preferences", upper right.

My setup screen with input and output:

preferences1.png

Select "Calibrate soundcard". Select next until this screen. Increase volume on A306 to get close to -12 dBFS:

preferences2.png

Select next again as needed until the sweep runs and you will get this screen. Select "All SPL" on the graph options. Adjust scale if needed. I would suggest 20-20kHz and 10 to -20 SPL.

preferences3.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #825 of 4,116
Quick how to:

Install REW. Put the device (A306) in USB DAC mode connected to your computer (you have to open the Walkman player and select the mode in addition to the popup from USB connect). Connect the 3.5 mm to your computer line in.

Start REW and select "Preferences", upper right.

My setup screen with input and output:

preferences1.png

Select "Calibrate soundcard". Select next until this screen. Increase volume on A306 to get close to -12 dBFS:

preferences2.png

Select next again as needed until the sweep runs and you will get this screen. Select "All SPL" on the graph options.

preferences3.png
Will try if I get chance and find male-male cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back