New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #796 of 4,129

:smile:

This one shakes my house down via KEF LS50WII speakers and its sub. Sounds deep enough on A307 too.

PS. Battery life is epic using Walkman Music app (screen off most of time).

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #797 of 4,129
:smile:

This one shakes my house down via KEF LSX50WII and its sub. Sounds deep enough on A307 too.

PS. Battery life is epic using Walkman Music app (screen off most of time).

deep enough is relative :wink:

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #798 of 4,129
deep enough is relative :wink:
Well, as deep as any DAP I've had with my familiar IEM's (K10U, FD7, M9, SE846) so that includes recently: Hiby R3Pro, Hiby R5 Sabre, Hiby R5GII, A105, ZX507, WM1ZM2, WM1AM2 and DAC/AMP Khadas Tea and by BTR5 & iPhone13mini with Apple dongle.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #799 of 4,129
Well, as deep as any DAP I've had with my familiar IEM's (K10U, FD7, M9, SE846) so that includes recently: Hiby R3Pro, Hiby R5 Sabre, Hiby R5GII, A105, ZX507, WM1ZM2, WM1AM2 and DAC/AMP Khadas Tea and by BTR5 & iPhone13mini with Apple dongle.

Would you say the a306 is the brightest sounding out of all these sources?

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #800 of 4,129
Would you say the a306 is the brightest sounding out of all these sources?
No. Brighter than WM1ZM2 & WM1AM2.

Must have had 30hrs on it already and think some of slight brightness reduced or I'm just getting accustomed to its sound sig. (also had Mojo & Hugo2 but that's a while ago now)

Hiby R5GII with ECO amp was brighter too, smoother/cosier with class A amp.

Just listening to Maroon 5 - "Just A Feeling" at the moment and that sounds slightly warm/cosy for me.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #802 of 4,129
The youtube measurement gives me hope as that one is flat, I don't particularly have a reason to mistrust it.

But as you say lot of users here say it's bright, and that has me concerned if they're simply not so impacted by the massive bass drop off and prefer the jpop style tuning, not realising it's a major issue (no source should have frequency tuning especially a 350$ one). I'd like to see some more spectrum analysis measurements from other users to help us confirm if this might indeed be a universal problem.

I would be glad to measure if I knew how to best perform it. Perhaps if someone could describe what to do. I assume you can attach the headphone output to a computer line in and use some software to display a frequency response graph?

I don't believe my JP A306 has this issue based on A/B testing with my A105. I also tried your "correction" EQ as another test and it certainly sounded too bass heavy.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #803 of 4,129
I would be glad to measure if I knew how to best perform it. Perhaps if someone could describe what to do. I assume you can attach the headphone output to a computer line in and use some software to display a frequency response graph?

I don't believe my JP A306 has this issue based on A/B testing with my A105. I also tried your "correction" EQ as another test and it certainly sounded much, much too bass heavy.

My eq correction does make it a tad warmer than perfectly flat but if it's a crazy amount of bass on yours then seems like your device is not affected by the bass disease

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #804 of 4,129
My eq correction does make it a tad warmer than perfectly flat but if it's a crazy amount of bass on yours then seems like your device is not affected by the bass disease

Yes, I would call it a crazy amount :)

I would still like to contribute to data collection if it helps anyone and to verify what I hear... My rarely used Windows PC does have a line in port but REW is a bit over my head at the moment.

Edit:

I turns out my ears failed me as the difference seemed too drastic.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #805 of 4,129
Yes, I would call it a crazy amount :)

I would still like to contribute to data collection if it helps anyone and to verify what I hear... My rarely used Windows PC does have a line in port but REW is a bit over my head at the moment.
There probably bunch of free spectrum analysers you can on windows use to eyeball the input - i posted back a link i think. Install the software, open the windows spectrum software and select your computer input and play the a306 in the input with 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack i assume. Play this on your a306 via youtube android app- eyeball the analyser - the top of the moving range graph should be same from 20hz to 1000hz as is on the youtube video

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #806 of 4,129
A 45, A55, A105 I've had them all and my A306 sounds simular. Sounds better actually but very similar. They've all been a bit on the bright side. But although clear sounding I can't call mine bass light. It has weight and rumble when it is supposed to. Idk what's going on. I read some Japanese reviews last night and no one mentioned low bass.

It's all very strange. But like I said it sounds very similar to a105, which also sounded different than the 507 model.

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #807 of 4,129
There probably bunch of free spectrum analysers you can on windows use to eyeball the input - i posted back a link i think. Install the software, open the windows spectrum software and select your computer input and play the a306 in the input with 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack i assume. Play this on your a306 via youtube android app- eyeball the analyser - the top of the moving range graph should be same from 20hz to 1000hz as is on the youtube video

I could do this, the more tested the better. Just have to find a 3.5 male to male.

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #808 of 4,129
I could do this, the more tested the better. Just have to find a 3.5 male to male.
I've been watching a YouTube video about using REW to do it. Will also do if I have time & can understand. (3 parts).

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #810 of 4,129
I've been watching a YouTube video about using REW to do it. Will also do if I have time & can understand. (3 parts).

So would we do this in USB DAC mode and loopback the 3.5 jack to the line-in on the computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back