New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #841 of 4,129
Yes my A307, assuming I've followed guide correctly. Was I meant to have anything playing in the DAC screen as per rlw6534 guide ?

It looks like you did everything correctly. You are a bit zoomed out on the graph (y-axis) but it looks good response-wise.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #843 of 4,129
So we have 2 flat FR (one here, one from the Korean reviewer), and 2 with the stupid low shelf EQ.
Be it some DSP you don't see, or Sony messing up, We at least know it's not everywhere and it's something specific.

There are ways to test without a full audio loop with REW, but the easiest might be to just load a sweep file into the DAP and play it plugged into the computer input(analog mic in), and use the RTA icon at the top(first do what was showed before to select the input and check the amplitude so you don't measure your clipping skills or just noise^_^).
In the RTA pop up just press the record button on the top right corner of the graph. start playing the sweep on your DAP, you should rapidly see the gra^ph forming from the low end and moving right. Once the sweep is done and you have your mess of a graph, stop the recording(same button), just take a snapshot(camera on the top left of the pop up) to save it as a pic.
It's not great, and depending on the sweep you use you might not have a flat graph, but so long as we're focused on looking for the low shelf form in the bass, it should be more than enough.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #844 of 4,129
Is anyone working on rooting the device? since the A306 is using a quadcomm chip it should be easier to root it?

I looked for a firehose/MBN/ELF config for QFIL a few days ago but didn't find one. Maybe it will pop up.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #846 of 4,129
This reminds me of the movie 'The Thing' with Kurt Russell when they're testing the blood to see if they're human. 😀

And out of all the cables and crap I have I bet I don't have a 3.5 to 3.5.
Brilliant movie haha.

I have to say i'm proud how we all bunched up together to solve this mystery - doing the good work for humanity, testing the blood of our a306 to see which one is hiding the monster :)

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #847 of 4,129
So we have 2 flat FR (one here, one from the Korean reviewer), and 2 with the stupid low shelf EQ.
Be it some DSP you don't see, or Sony messing up, We at least know it's not everywhere and it's something specific.

There are ways to test without a full audio loop with REW, but the easiest might be to just load a sweep file into the DAP and play it plugged into the computer input(analog mic in), and use the RTA icon at the top(first do what was showed before to select the input and check the amplitude so you don't measure your clipping skills or just noise^_^).
In the RTA pop up just press the record button on the top right corner of the graph. start playing the sweep on your DAP, you should rapidly see the gra^ph forming from the low end and moving right. Once the sweep is done and you have your mess of a graph, stop the recording(same button), just take a snapshot(camera on the top left of the pop up) to save it as a pic.
It's not great, and depending on the sweep you use you might not have a flat graph, but so long as we're focused on looking for the low shelf form in the bass, it should be more than enough.

A105 (Japan import) using the previously linked 20-20k sweep from Youtube:

a105.jpg

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #850 of 4,129
A105 (Japan import) using the previously linked 20-20k sweep from Youtube:

a105.jpg
Seems fine, the drop is stable so it's just a matter of the sweep used(same energy vs same amplitude). I'd call that flat.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #854 of 4,129
No offence guys but won't your ears tell you there's an issue with bass?
My ears said mine was fine, and now proved with graph, but wanted to add to the investigation seeing as members having issues, and making sure I hadn't gone deaf.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #855 of 4,129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back