New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #121 of 4,204
I have both the M3X and the A55 with the Walkman One firmware (WM1Z Tuning) installed and the M3X is still steps ahead in terms of overall sound. The M3X is tune for a more musical sound rather than a clinical one. Out of the other DAPS like Hiby and iBasso that I have tried in the past (Hiby R5 and iBasso DX160), I prefer Shanling's tuning the most due to it's musicality.

I remembered reading a few here have said that even with the A55 custom firmware installed, the A105 is a step or two ahead in terms of sounding. So I think the A306 might be much more better than the A55 overall.
So now I need to choose between the Shanling M3 Ultra and the Sony NW-A306.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #122 of 4,204
So now I need to choose between the Shanling M3 Ultra and the Sony NW-A306.
The Shanling side will definitely have more power compared to Sony but with the A306 being android and a definite improvement from the A100 series, it depends on what you need.

The more compact physicality of the Sony does makes it more pocketable and fits nicely into my jeans. My M3X does fit as well but you'll notice the bulkiness just a tad but not too much.

IMG_20230130_160805.jpg

Here's a size comparison for you to look at. If you want the 4.4mm, Shanling is the way. If not, the Sony is just wonderful for you to bring everywhere due to it being smaller in size.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #123 of 4,204
I do have a question about the Sony Android models. On the a55, there was only the player, no other apps possible. So you have all the fancy audio settings in there. But on the Android models, are those settings just part of the player, or do they work system-wide? i.e. if I am using Tidal or some other app, can I use the various audio settings like the equalizer, vinyl processer, clearaudio, etc? Or do those only work in the Sony player?
On the 1AM2, DSP settings are system-wide so I think A300 series should be

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #125 of 4,204
Thanks for your question; this functionality is important to me, too.

Sony's U.S. website indicates that the A306 supports CUE, but it doesn't specify whether it's manual or automatic.

I'll update this post with a link when I get a chance.

CUE BIN, FLAC, ISO, WAV or what?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #126 of 4,204
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #127 of 4,204
I hope the delivery delay is caused by Sony's sudden 'discovery' that they bungled the output power for North America units (A306 and ZX707) and they are on the path to correcting their mistake. Hopefully you'll receive a unit with 35mW per channel output instead of the crippled 1.1mW output. Fingers crossed Sony is fixing their debacle.

Those output numbers can't be right, I'm guessing the range is volts not mw. Which would make the output about 35 mw @ 16 ohms. The US nw a105 also had the avl which you had to turn off. There should be no power limit on the US model like the UK model which is 16mw @ 16 ohms. The Japanese model is rated at 35 mw @ 16 ohms BTW.

If it truly is neutered I'll switch software. Provided it sounds as good as a105 did. There's a software you can get for nw a55 which sets the output to 50mw @ 16ohms. This will probably be available on the a306 in the near future. I'll know right away as my setting was about 80- 85 on the 105.

With ohms law, if that really was 1.1mw @ 32 ohms it would double at 16 ohms being 2.2 mw roughly. It's not even presented the same as the UK model which like I said is 16mw @ 16 ohms.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #128 of 4,204
I do have a question about the Sony Android models. On the a55, there was only the player, no other apps possible. So you have all the fancy audio settings in there. But on the Android models, are those settings just part of the player, or do they work system-wide? i.e. if I am using Tidal or some other app, can I use the various audio settings like the equalizer, vinyl processer, clearaudio, etc? Or do those only work in the Sony player?
Audio settings are system wide in my nw-a105 JP, so I guess that in the newer models will be the same :wink:

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #129 of 4,204
Those output numbers can't be right, I'm guessing the range is volts not mw. Which would make the output about 35 mw @ 16 ohms. The US nw a105 also had the avl which you had to turn off. There should be no power limit on the US model like the UK model which is 16mw @ 16 ohms. The Japanese model is rated at 35 mw @ 16 ohms BTW.

If it truly is neutered I'll switch software. Provided it sounds as good as a105 did. There's a software you can get for nw a55 which sets the output to 50mw @ 16ohms. This will probably be available on the a306 in the near future. I'll know right away as my setting was about 80- 85 on the 105.

With ohms law, if that really was 1.1mw @ 32 ohms it would double at 16 ohms being 2.2 mw roughly. It's not even presented the same as the UK model which like I said is 16mw @ 16 ohms.
I'm not the one who came up with 1.1mW, it's on the Sony US website. There's already been quite a bit of discussion about this in the ZX700 thread.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #130 of 4,204
I'm not the one who came up with 1.1mW, it's on the Sony US website. There's already been quite a bit of discussion about this in the ZX700 thread.

Yes I know they're on the site, and you didn't come up with them, I'm saying the only mistake is Volts not mw. Obviously it's a typo and the output isn't capped if you use the ohms formula for voltage. You assumed they bungled the output, but anyway you slice it it's not 1.1 mw @ 32 ohm.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #131 of 4,204
Yes I know they're on the site, and you didn't come up with them, I'm saying the only mistake is Volts not mw. Obviously it's a typo and the output isn't capped if you use the ohms formula for voltage. You assumed they bungled the output, but anyway you slice it it's not 1.1 mw @ 32 ohm.
So did you get your unit yet? I hope you're right about the typo, but evidence in the ZX700 thread has proven that Sony removed high gain (which the A306 doesn't have) setting for US models and implemented the EU volume cap. I'm not taking that chance and ordered a ZX707 from Japan.

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #132 of 4,204
So did you get your unit yet? I hope you're right about the typo, but evidence in the ZX700 thread has proven that Sony removed high gain (which the A306 doesn't have) setting for US models and implemented the EU volume cap. I'm not taking that chance and ordered a ZX707 from Japan.

Ahh yes reading that thread now, looks like the software is biffed. I see what you mean now, ZX700 definitely should have high gain. Nope don't have it yet, but there's no gain setting on the 300. If it's not as loud as a105 I'll probably return it. A105 was already kind of weak. Lol Sony, I definitely know we have no laws like the EU/UK regarding volume levels on phones or audio players. So I don't know why Sony would take out the high gain. Yes I would order from Japan for ZX700. Japanese a300 is more expensive than US a300. At least on ebay.

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #133 of 4,204
Ahh yes reading that thread now, looks like the software is biffed. I see what you mean now, ZX700 definitely should have high gain. Nope don't have it yet, but there's no gain setting on the 300. If it's not as loud as a105 I'll probably return it. A105 was already kind of weak. Lol Sony, I definitely know we have no laws like the EU/UK regarding volume levels on phones or audio players. So I don't know why Sony would take out the high gain. Yes I would order from Japan for ZX700. Japanese a300 is more expensive than US a300. At least on ebay.
I know the regulations have existed for awhile but I don't know of any actual products sold here that adhere to it outside of audio products for kids. I remember when my niece got here first ipod I bought her some kid approved headphones that had the 85 db cap and I can understand why. Does this mean we have to go back to stacking DAP's with portable amps to get decent volume like I had to with my A17?

Again, why Sony and basically nobody else, you are handing this market over to the Chinese DAP makers. All I can think is the EU and North America are much bigger markets for Sony than for the Chinese manufacturers. They need to play nice with the regulations to keep pushing the products they sell alot of even if it costs them DAP sales.

Either way I am not paying $480 CDN for a crippled A306 with perfectly fine alternatives out there. Maybe Sony should stop selling direct in these markets and just sell all their DAP's from Japan which is where most will go to get them without the volume caps nonsense. Think about it this way, when you sit in traffic db levels are like 130 db or higher from traffic noise. If you want to protect peoples hearing put volume caps on car horns not DAP's

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #134 of 4,204
I know the regulations have existed for awhile but I don't know of any actual products sold here that adhere to it outside of audio products for kids. I remember when my niece got here first ipod I bought her some kid approved headphones that had the 85 db cap and I can understand why. Does this mean we have to go back to stacking DAP's with portable amps to get decent volume like I had to with my A17?

Again, why Sony and basically nobody else, you are handing this market over to the Chinese DAP makers. All I can think is the EU and North America are much bigger markets for Sony than for the Chinese manufacturers. They need to play nice with the regulations to keep pushing the products they sell alot of even if it costs them DAP sales.

Well I'm not too worried about the nw a306 as the 1.1 mw is obviously a mistake. I'd be pissed though if there were no hi gain setting on the ZX700. Of course the 1.1 mw has to be a typo there too, I don't know what the low gain values are for that dap. Or what the actual power out is.

If you exchange volts then the output is about 35 mw @ 16 ohm. Which is fine for the a306. I would expect the ZX700 3.5 to be 50 mw @ 16 ohms though. But who knows at this point. There definitely needs to be a high gain for the balanced out. It's hard to tell the output sometimes by ear as volume isn't always linear. But AFAIK there's no laws in the US that would make Sony limit the output, avls is different as you can disable it and crank volume to the max if so desired. And we don't adhere to the who suggestions on sound pressure AFAIK.

I'll find out in a couple of days if anything has changed volume wise from the US a105. I don't really expect any noticeable improvement sound wise over the a105. As long as battery life is better I'll be happy. Plus these days dongles are so cheap you can add one for power if you want to drive more demanding stuff. But 1.1 mw lol would sound like flea on most gear lol.

Hopefully on ZX700 Sony just f'ed up the software. Because you can get 50 mw @ 16 ohm just out of the digital amp itself, and of course that model has big caps for the balanced output.

And I'm giving up on shanling m1s lol.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #135 of 4,204
Well I'm not too worried about the nw a306 as the 1.1 mw is obviously a mistake. I'd be pissed though if there were no hi gain setting on the ZX700. Of course the 1.1 mw has to be a typo there too, I don't know what the low gain values are for that dap. Or what the actual power out is.

If you exchange volts then the output is about 35 mw @ 16 ohm. Which is fine for the a306. I would expect the ZX700 3.5 to be 50 mw @ 16 ohms though. But who knows at this point. There definitely needs to be a high gain for the balanced out. It's hard to tell the output sometimes by ear as volume isn't always linear. But AFAIK there's no laws in the US that would make Sony limit the output, avls is different as you can disable it and crank volume to the max if so desired. And we don't adhere to the who suggestions on sound pressure AFAIK.

I'll find out in a couple of days if anything has changed volume wise from the US a105. I don't really expect any noticeable improvement sound wise over the a105. As long as battery life is better I'll be happy. Plus these days dongles are so cheap you can add one for power if you want to drive more demanding stuff. But 1.1 mw lol would sound like flea on most gear lol.

Hopefully on ZX700 Sony just f'ed up the software. Because you can get 50 mw @ 16 ohm just out of the digital amp itself, and of course that model has big caps for the balanced output.

And I'm giving up on shanling m1s lol.

Just as an example, my easiest to drive IEM's are Shure SE846. When I got a UK/UE A107 before sending back I had to have volume at 85-90 while on my Japanese import replacement about 45-55. This time I've just gone straight for a A307 from Japan. Both no High-gain on these base models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back