New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 29, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #106 of 4,204
Jan 29, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #109 of 4,204
Have WM1AM2 with upto 40hrs playback and A300 has upto 36 hrs, but as a streaming service music user with other apps its interesting the A is rated even longer the the 1AM2!

1AM2
BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC(OTHER MUSIC APP)MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hrs, MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 18 hrs

Nw-A306
BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC(OTHER MUSIC APP)MP3 (128kbps, offline mode) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx.26

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #110 of 4,204
I'm most likely going to pick one of these up. I had an nw-a55 which I really loved, but missed not being able to install apps on it for streaming (it's not an Android device). Replaced that with a Shanling M3X which is pretty good overall, but it's definitely not a Sony in terms of hardware or software. I was on the fence about getting a a100 series, but the ubiquitous battery life complaints made me hold off. It seems like the a300 series has handled that. Looking forward to the in-depth reviews.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #111 of 4,204
I'm most likely going to pick one of these up. I had an nw-a55 which I really loved, but missed not being able to install apps on it for streaming (it's not an Android device). Replaced that with a Shanling M3X which is pretty good overall, but it's definitely not a Sony in terms of hardware or software. I was on the fence about getting a a100 series, but the ubiquitous battery life complaints made me hold off. It seems like the a300 series has handled that. Looking forward to the in-depth reviews.
How is the Shanling when it comes to sound quality? I was thinking about the m3 ultra.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #113 of 4,204
How is the Shanling when it comes to sound quality? I was thinking about the m3 ultra.
I'm not an expert audiophile, but I think it sounds really good. Surprising lack of audio settings on the device itself though. Really only a low pass filter and gain settings. And the built-in player has a very basic equalizer. That app is utterly horrible though and UAPP or equivalent is a necessary replacement.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #114 of 4,204
I do have a question about the Sony Android models. On the a55, there was only the player, no other apps possible. So you have all the fancy audio settings in there. But on the Android models, are those settings just part of the player, or do they work system-wide? i.e. if I am using Tidal or some other app, can I use the various audio settings like the equalizer, vinyl processer, clearaudio, etc? Or do those only work in the Sony player?

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #115 of 4,204
I'm not an expert audiophile, but I think it sounds really good. Surprising lack of audio settings on the device itself though. Really only a low pass filter and gain settings. And the built-in player has a very basic equalizer. That app is utterly horrible though and UAPP or equivalent is a necessary replacement.

How is the battery life with replacement apps?

Do you have any preference re: sound quality between the Shanling and the Sony?

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #118 of 4,204
In what way? I had no problem with it and same on ZX507 and WM1AM2.
I just miss the functionality you have on the Xperia music app, proper playlist management, the ability to edit metadata etc. Maybe its because I have the jp version of the a105, but I don't get the pont of the bookmarks and favourites
In what way? I had no problem with it and same on ZX507 and WM1AM2.
It just doesn't have the basic functionality that Sony's own Music app on Xperia does, local playlist management, ability to add or edit album artwork, edit metadata etc. The music center app on PC isn't much better. I also don't see why bookmarks and favourites are the only local options with playlists needing to be synced from PC.
I have the jp a105, so it could be that my Walkman app is different from other regions though

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #119 of 4,204
Not that I can tell. Running in Direct mode, BTW. I don’t normally use the sound adjustments, so maybe something is different there. Definitely runs faster and battery life is noticeably better.
Thanks for that will be ordering soon
I hope the delivery delay is caused by Sony's sudden 'discovery' that they bungled the output power for North America units (A306 and ZX707) and they are on the path to correcting their mistake. Hopefully you'll receive a unit with 35mW per channel output instead of the crippled 1.1mW output. Fingers crossed Sony is fixing their debacle.
wow is that the difference in output ...i will never touch an EU unit

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #120 of 4,204
How does that compare with a Sony NW-A55 with the custom firmware?
I have both the M3X and the A55 with the Walkman One firmware (WM1Z Tuning) installed and the M3X is still steps ahead in terms of overall sound. The M3X is tune for a more musical sound rather than a clinical one. Out of the other DAPS like Hiby and iBasso that I have tried in the past (Hiby R5 and iBasso DX160), I prefer Shanling's tuning the most due to it's musicality.

I remembered reading a few here have said that even with the A55 custom firmware installed, the A105 is a step or two ahead in terms of sounding. So I think the A306 might be much more better than the A55 overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back