New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 12, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #4,021 of 4,137
Thank you for all the information. Alternatively, I was thinking about android phone (a new version od Samsung XCover 7 premiered this January, which is quite well prepared for fieldwork). But the A306 features better sound performance without having all the downsides coming from smartphones. So the question is, whether it will provide me with better audio performance than a smartphone connected to JBL speaker. The price of Xcover 7 and A306 is similar, so it doesnt make any difference for me.

Honestly the Charge 5 is, by far, the weakest link in your proposed setup for sound quality. AFAIK it only supports the SBC codec as well. I don't think the source is going to make much difference... With that said, the A306 is a fine DAP...

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #4,022 of 4,137
I made a mistake, I had given a family member my Charge during Covid and later replaced with the Flip 4. It seems the app is now called JBL Portable, but it doesn't show in the Play store on my A306.
Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for (however, the oposite one... :wink:).

Honestly the Charge 5 is, by far, the weakest link in your proposed setup for sound quality. AFAIK it only supports the SBC codec as well. I don't think the source is going to make much difference... With that said, the A306 is a fine DAP...
I realise this, but it's a compromise between field capability, size and speaker power. Friend uses them in similar research in Africa and they serve their purpose quite well. Hes using an Iphone 7 to playback the music to the speaker and I am looking for a new device to play prepared tracks.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #4,023 of 4,137
Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for (however, the oposite one... :wink:).

I realise this, but it's a compromise between field capability, size and speaker power. Friend uses them in similar research in Africa and they serve their purpose quite well. Hes using an Iphone 7 to playback the music to the speaker and I am looking for a new device to play prepared tracks.
They're expensive and hard to find, but check out Minirigs Bluetooth speakers. They have a wired option for better fidelity. They're smaller with better battery life. Stereo wired or wireless. The birds will prefer them :)
https://minirigs.co.uk/

Edit: though they are not waterproof. They are splash resistant and can handle light rain.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #4,024 of 4,137
My last OT shill for today.

Cross posting some pics of Minirigs in the wild
Warm enough for a bush party

Sony Xperia 1 V (removed to take picture)
Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt
Audioquest Golden Gate 3.5mm-3.5mm (x3)
Minirig 3 (x2)
Minirig Sub 3
Extra large coffee - 3 cream (x2)1000022866.jpg
1000022868.jpg
1000022875.jpg

Feb 15, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #4,026 of 4,137
IMG_6882.jpeg
Selling my Sony A306 if anyone is looking for one.

I prefer to pair my ibasso dc elite with work phone over a306. I think SQ wise, dc elite provide a noticeable step up over a306.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/sony-a306-no-vol-cap-aus-version.62685/

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #4,027 of 4,137
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #4,028 of 4,137
Feb 18, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #4,030 of 4,137
I've asked on the ZX300 thread, so I may be asking the same people. I've seen several comments here saying the A306 is considered better than the ZX300, is this the tuning of the A306 or total audio experience ie. staging, separation, texture etc? In my mind I expect the build of the ZX300 with higher powered balanced output to have the edge over the smaller A306.
My question is: is the A306 providing a totally percieved better audio SQ compared to the ZX300 using the balanced output with the custom firmwares?
I've seen a secondhand one and was considering it for certain scenarios - I like the old school Sony OS and I want to preserve my 1Z. I had one several years ago before owning a 1A, then 1Z, but sold it before the firmwares came out.

I favoured the silicon case but have experienced difficulty getting it out of my pocket due to the grip factor, I've gone back to the FatBear.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #4,031 of 4,137
Hello again. I hope everyone had a healthy start/progress throughout the week, as well as a wonderful weekend.

Over the past few weeks, I've spent some more time with A306 on the go at work lately, appreciating how this lightweight portable dap continues to draw me in to the different emotions and colorful sounds of music day by day, while drowning out the bustling ambient noise from the city to the streets and in to the stores & back to the warehouse.

Following up on my previous post in regards to the IER-M9, after having finally picked up my order from FedEx about two weeks ago, I did spend some time with this set (and did some listening mostly with classical music, paired with Sony WM1AM2 and A306 after work), with few hours of listening done so far (due to work being quite busy most of the week).
Sony-IERM9.jpg
Sony IER-M9 (with Divinus Velvet ear tips & stock cable in 4.4 balanced).

Sony-A306Japan-IERM9-WM1AM2.jpg
Sony A306 (Japan model, with FatBear case). Sony IER-M9 (with stock cable in 4.4) & Sony WM1AM2 (US model, with Benks case).

In some ways, the tonality and transient of M9 do share some similarities with IER-Z1R with its somewhat fluid tonal heft and lively natured sound presentation.

Going by comparison from memory, I found Z1R to be slightly more resolving in detail and noticeably more dynamic with tighter & more weighted bass, along with more depth and textured decay in the lower end. And, while it's not a significant step ahead of the M9 transitioning to the mids, the M9 handles slow acoustics, slow tempo piano and instrumental performances from the midrange in a more up-close/intimate and slightly more detailed but 'naturally' presented way. Both sets bring that shared sense of energy-driven feel & character of sound, but I feel the M9 brings the music & performer a bit more close to the listener in a noticeably slower paced way with a more savory thick bodied sound profile, whereas the Z1R takes several more rows back from center stage and presents & projects parts and nuances of the music in a more quick-attentive approach from a vast amphitheatre-like stage.

From the highs, most of the treble from M9 is smoothly presented with decent weight and extension, but I get the sense that detail in the lower to upper end of treble loses some of its information and presence as it transitions to a smoother flow in transients and coherence in its overall presentation.

Imaging and dynamics are overall similar on both sets when casual listening is done on the go & around about. But, in a more close-up critical listening session, the differences noticeably begin to show where the Z1R is a noticeable step ahead of the M9 in nearly most technical aspects with more grand-spacious staging, more headroom, greater dynamics/physicality and more immersive imaging.

Overall, the M9 may be less technically adept than the Z1R in most fast-tempo, explosive dynamic-oriented and busy/complex passages of classical/vocal performances, but I find the tonal balance and dense profiled tonality matched by an intimately spacious presentation of the M9 to be satisfying to hear and comforting to feel and be in the heart of the music.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #4,032 of 4,137
One unique ability of the IER-M9 is its ability to maintain a coherent frequency balance even when you push the volume to very high levels(at around or slightly exceeding the threshold of safe listening).

With the right source like a Sony WM1AM2, when you push the volume higher, the music gets a very linear increase across the frequencies. There is no shouty sounding vocals, no glaring treble or overpowering bass. It’s one of the least fatiguing iems out there. Although it is not a hyper detailed iem, the IER-M9 still manages to present the finer sounds, especially the spacial sound reflections and soundstage height in a very defined wide enough sound field. I would think this iem suits those who appreciate a well controlled and balanced sound, it is not really suited for those who desire the extremely dynamic explosive sounds, which the more capable IER-Z1R can deliver.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #4,033 of 4,137
ive noticed recently poweramp keeps disappearing my library on my microSD card and I have to rescan. Most of the time after this happens I can open Sony Walkman player and the tracks play fine, though today it happened and the Sony Walkman player couldnt play the tracks either and kept giving me a not responding error until I restarted the walkman.

Do you think its a problem with my SD card or something else? Card is this one and just over 1 year old
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PCGXPL5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cheers

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #4,034 of 4,137
ive noticed recently poweramp keeps disappearing my library on my microSD card and I have to rescan. Most of the time after this happens I can open Sony Walkman player and the tracks play fine, though today it happened and the Sony Walkman player couldnt play the tracks either and kept giving me a not responding error until I restarted the walkman.

Do you think its a problem with my SD card or something else? Card is this one and just over 1 year old
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PCGXPL5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cheers
I would suggest to try reformatting your microSD card using the Walkman android storage setting. Remember to have backups of your microSD music files before reformatting. See if this step is able to resolve the issue for the time being. Do remember that microSD card will wear out and fail eventually after a few years(up to 10, depending on many factors) and have to be replaced.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #4,035 of 4,137
I would suggest to try reformatting your microSD card using the Walkman android storage setting. Remember to have backups of your microSD music files before reformatting. See if this step is able to resolve the issue for the time being. Do remember that microSD card will wear out and fail eventually after a few years(up to 10, depending on many factors) and have to be replaced.
Considering you can purchase a 1.5tb card now for $150 USD replacing a lesser value card should be relatively cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back