New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #4,006 of 4,139
I use Qobuz and Roon with no issues.

Cable issue maybe? Do you use UAPP or BubbleUPnP?
I was using Tidal and Apple Music own app on the 306, and with the Mojo2 there is no sound coming out, but the walkman app running the sd card is all normal with the Mojo2.
However I just installed UAPP on the 306, now Tidal runs smoothly, with Mojo2 thanks for the input.

Its Apple Music that still has no sound with the Mojo2, well UAPP dont have Apple music in it.

What got me puzzled is now Roon has no sound either even without Mojo2, it runs without problem before.

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #4,007 of 4,139
I was using Tidal and Apple Music own app on the 306, and with the Mojo2 there is no sound coming out, but the walkman app running the sd card is all normal with the Mojo2.
However I just installed UAPP on the 306, now Tidal runs smoothly, with Mojo2 thanks for the input.

Its Apple Music that still has no sound with the Mojo2, well UAPP dont have Apple music in it.

What got me puzzled is now Roon has no sound either even without Mojo2, it runs without problem before.

I'd suggest deleting apple music app and re-installing. Make sure you erase the app data and cache. Sounds like a software issue. You may consider a hard reset of A306. I've learned that android has more quirks than iOS.

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #4,008 of 4,139
I'd suggest deleting apple music app and re-installing. Make sure you erase the app data and cache. Sounds like a software issue. You may consider a hard reset of A306. I've learned that android has more quirks than iOS.
I just did that, hard reset and installed UAPP, Apple Music,and Roon. Now Walkman music App, UAPP Library, Tidal via UAPP works with and without Mojo2, but Roon and Apple Music is silent with Mojo2. Well Roon is silent with and without Mojo2, so that boggles me.
Yeah... I think its gotta be software setting, so I'll just try to entangled it one by one I guess.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #4,009 of 4,139
Hello! Im conducting research in birdsong, involving playbacks of modified song to see how birds respond to it. Im looking for a audio player which I could use for the experiments combined with JBL Charge 5 bluetooth speakers. I want to playback WAV/FLAC files with the least distortion possible. During the experiment the audio player will be placed near the speaker/speakers and a audio file lasting around 10-15 minutes will be playedback.

While searching for different devices I see that Sony NW-A306 should be ok, however, I did not find any information about the compatability of the Sony NW-A306 and JBL speaker. I emailed the support of Sony and JBL, but they did not have the answers I need.

1. Is it possible to install the JBL Portable app from Google Play Store on the Sony NW-A306? I need this to connect two JBL speakers via Bluetooth in stereo mode, to playback different things on L/R channel.
2. JBL Charge 5 has a maximum SPL volume around 90 dB. Will the Sony NW-A306 allow to achieve such a high sound intensity? I need a SPL around 87/88 dBa @ 1m distance from the speaker.

JBL Charge 5 specs: https://www.rtings.com/speaker/reviews/jbl/charge-5

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #4,010 of 4,139
Hello! Im conducting research in birdsong, involving playbacks of modified song to see how birds respond to it. Im looking for a audio player which I could use for the experiments combined with JBL Charge 5 bluetooth speakers. I want to playback WAV/FLAC files with the least distortion possible. During the experiment the audio player will be placed near the speaker/speakers and a audio file lasting around 10-15 minutes will be playedback.

While searching for different devices I see that Sony NW-A306 should be ok, however, I did not find any information about the compatability of the Sony NW-A306 and JBL speaker. I emailed the support of Sony and JBL, but they did not have the answers I need.

1. Is it possible to install the JBL Portable app from Google Play Store on the Sony NW-A306? I need this to connect two JBL speakers via Bluetooth in stereo mode, to playback different things on L/R channel.
2. JBL Charge 5 has a maximum SPL volume around 90 dB. Will the Sony NW-A306 allow to achieve such a high sound intensity? I need a SPL around 87/88 dBa @ 1m distance from the speaker.

Hi, I have a Charge 4 in a delivery vehicle that I use with my recently purchased A306 - it pairs and plays perfectly. I assume that the installation of the app and linking of 2 speakers should not be an issue, although I only use a single speaker.
I'm lost with technical specs, the A306 should be able to transmit a signal with the full range of frequencies, its maybe more down to the speakers ability to produce them.
Hopefully someone else can help, I just replied in case you don't get a reply.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #4,011 of 4,139
Hi, I have a Charge 4 in a delivery vehicle that I use with my recently purchased A306 - it pairs and plays perfectly. I assume that the installation of the app and linking of 2 speakers should not be an issue, although I only use a single speaker.
I'm lost with technical specs, the A306 should be able to transmit a signal with the full range of frequencies, its maybe more down to the speakers ability to produce them.
Hopefully someone else can help, I just replied in case you don't get a reply.
Thanks for the feedback! Do you use the app or do you only connect via bluetooth? Could you try to install the JBL Portable app and see if it works? Charge 4 is compatible with the app.

Speakers transmit sound up to 20 000 Hz which is more than enough for me and less than A306 is able to transmit. Birdsong frequency of species of my interest stays mostly within 2-10 kHz.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #4,012 of 4,139
Thanks for the feedback! Do you use the app or do you only connect via bluetooth? Could you try to install the JBL Portable app and see if it works? Charge 4 is compatible with the app.

Speakers transmit sound up to 20 000 Hz which is more than enough for me and less than A306 is able to transmit. Birdsong frequency of species of my interest stays mostly within 2-10 kHz.
You're welcome. I just use direct Bluetooth as I think the app is only for multi speaker pairing. I'll try it a bit later (working at the moment).

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #4,013 of 4,139
Great, thank you. I just need the information whether it works.

The app has an equalizer, allows you to update the firmware and few other features. But yea, I need it for the stereo speaker pairing (you can pair multiple speakers externally by the party mode button, but then each speaker works in stereo mode, not L/R).

Feb 11, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #4,014 of 4,139

If you connect to a bluetooth speaker, the speaker's DAC will "take over" and will be used. Player specs don't really matter at that point, assuming player supports the same bluetooth codecs the speaker does. You should get the same sound quality you get from NW-A306 from any Android phone.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #4,015 of 4,139
If you connect to a bluetooth speaker, the speaker's DAC will "take over" and will be used. Player specs don't really matter at that point, assuming player supports the same bluetooth codecs the speaker does. You should get the same sound quality you get from NW-A306 from any Android phone.

Actually the new generation of android Walkmans (WM1AM2, WM1ZM2, ZX707, A306) is able to provide DSEE Ultimate AI sound processing over Bluetooth. So technically speaking, the Bluetooth sound output you get from the Walkman can be different from other android phones if you choose to use Sony’s DSEE Ultimate Bluetooth sound processing algorithms. Also it is possible to apply Sony dynamic normalizer and EQ via Bluetooth which also changes the final sound output at the Bluetooth device as compared to any other android phones Bluetooth output.

The updated software for both models also sees an improved DSEE Ultimate sound reproduction that helps restore CD-quality audio (16-bit, 44.1/48kHz), granting a more complete listening experience. Users can also apply DSEE Ultimate to Wi-Fi streamed or downloaded music, and even via wireless headphones.
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...-portable-music-players-its-audiophile-lineup

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #4,016 of 4,139
Actually the new generation of android Walkmans (WM1AM2, WM1ZM2, ZX707, A306) is able to provide DSEE Ultimate AI sound processing over Bluetooth. So technically speaking, the Bluetooth sound output you get from the Walkman can be different from other android phones if you choose to use Sony’s DSEE Ultimate Bluetooth sound processing algorithms. Also it is possible to apply Sony dynamic normalizer and EQ via Bluetooth which also changes the final sound output at the Bluetooth device as compared to any other android phones Bluetooth output.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...-portable-music-players-its-audiophile-lineup
Yes but I assume that due to this particular use case and purpose, OP doesn't want the sound to be in any way altered/enhanced.
(And, in this context, the obvious caveat is that Bluetooth audio as such is compressed so even if lossless FLACs are used as input, the sound will be modified.)

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #4,017 of 4,139
Thank you for all the information. Alternatively, I was thinking about android phone (a new version od Samsung XCover 7 premiered this January, which is quite well prepared for fieldwork). But the A306 features better sound performance without having all the downsides coming from smartphones. So the question is, whether it will provide me with better audio performance than a smartphone connected to JBL speaker. The price of Xcover 7 and A306 is similar, so it doesnt make any difference for me.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #4,018 of 4,139
Thank you for all the information. Alternatively, I was thinking about android phone (a new version od Samsung XCover 7 premiered this January, which is quite well prepared for fieldwork). But the A306 features better sound performance without having all the downsides coming from smartphones. So the question is, whether it will provide me with better audio performance than a smartphone connected to JBL speaker. The price of Xcover 7 and A306 is similar, so it doesnt make any difference for me.

If you are of the belief that "bits are bits", and believe that the quality of components, circuit design/engineering, software/firmware design make no difference, then you would not be here asking these questions, as you would already be sure that there is no difference, so I assume you already suspect that there could be a difference.

A major factor to consider is that the Sony is a specialized product for music reproduction, and the design and engineering, component choice, and UI/SW implementation are by people who have a single purpose in mind, the accurate reproduction of music. And the people involved are all dedicated, and with long experience pursuing this goal.

A smartphone, on the other hand, is a general purpose product, meant to do many things, and the sound is a small part of the overall goal.

If sound is your main criteria, then to me, the Sony is the better choice.

Sony "sweats the details" to achieve "good" sound. I believe that this makes a difference.

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #4,019 of 4,139
If you are of the belief that "bits are bits", and believe that the quality of components, circuit design/engineering, software/firmware design make no difference, then you would not be here asking these questions, as you would already be sure that there is no difference, so I assume you already suspect that there could be a difference.

A major factor to consider is that the Sony is a specialized product for music reproduction, and the design and engineering, component choice, and UI/SW implementation are by people who have a single purpose in mind, the accurate reproduction of music. And the people involved are all dedicated, and with long experience pursuing this goal.

A smartphone, on the other hand, is a general purpose product, meant to do many things, and the sound is a small part of the overall goal.

If sound is your main criteria, then to me, the Sony is the better choice.

Sony "sweats the details" to achieve "good" sound. I believe that this makes a difference.
And that's exactly what it comes down to. So, it remained to wait for Hinomotocho to check if the JBL app is possible to install on the A306.

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #4,020 of 4,139
And that's exactly what it comes down to. So, it remained to wait for Hinomotocho to check if the JBL app is possible to install on the A306.
I made a mistake, I had given a family member my Charge during Covid and later replaced with the Flip 4. It seems the app is now called JBL Portable, but it doesn't show in the Play store on my A306.

Users who are viewing this thread

• thr4
Back