New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #2,371 of 4,137
Does the Hong Kong Walkman 306 version have an audio Cap {Volume Limitation} ? Accessoryjack could or would not give me a definitive answer told me to read the manual , HA HA
"Regarding the SONY A306 DAP - Volume Limitation issue, please refer to the SONY Hong Kong user guide for more details. We suggest you read it to make sure that the feature is what you are looking for."
My A306 came from Accessory Jack and was uncapped.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #2,372 of 4,137
Did someone actually own a capped and non capped version both without bass issue and is/was able to compare them? I spent the Last 30min searching the thread but couldnt find a comparison. Is there actually a reason to get a non capped version if i only want to use iems?

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,373 of 4,137
Did someone actually own a capped and non capped version both without bass issue and is/was able to compare them? I spent the Last 30min searching the thread but couldnt find a comparison. Is there actually a reason to get a non capped version if i only want to use iems?
Yes he tested both with REW somewhere above.

The capped should still drive most IEM's I would think.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,374 of 4,137
back to my question that was left some posts ago, does someone know how to measure and compare max volume in REW or any other tool?
Volume level is directly related to voltage, so if you happen to have a multimeter and some male to male cable, you can use a simple tone(I'd stay with 50 to 100Hz tone if you're unsure about your multimeter). That should get you at least a ballpark value. If you want a more accurate reading, you would need a known reference (some other DAP with a known max output for example). Then instead of relying on the voltage value given by the multimeter, you can measure both devices and rely on the difference and known reference to probably get a more accurate voltage (or confirmation that your multimeter does the job just fine, which is always nice to verify).

On my last Sony the difference between Euro and JP version was 4 or 5dB I think. 6dB is double the voltage, so it's not a big deal but also not something that's easy to miss in a voltage reading.

With REW you very much need that reference device with known AC voltage or dB SPL. Without it, you have no way of knowing what the showed SPL means. You could use a DAC playing a tone at -6dB relative to full scale signal (to avoid any possible clipping from messing with measurements). That's usually accurate enough for our amateur needs. You can generate that tone in REW, save it, and put it in your device. Then open the Scope, activate CH1 and change the resolution(number of mv/division on the graph) so that you can estimate the voltage. Careful!!! That voltage means nothing as you haven't calibrated anything!
Do the same with your known reference, find a value playing the same signal, and now you have the voltage difference between both devices. You can do the same with the RTA viewing the amplitudes in volts (but again, without a proper calibration, the values only have a meaning relative to another measurement!!! Not as an actual voltage).

Or if for whatever reason you want to use Levels, SPL meter, some measurement of a sweep to get the FR, the RTA tool in dB, then it's the same exercise except that you get a dB difference, and you have to calculate the voltage ratio from it.
For the dB difference, the relation is 20log (V1/V). So the other way around to get a voltage ratio it's 10^(db difference/20), which is equal to V1/V.
Giving V1=V*10^(dB difference/20).
A fake example that will be easier to stomach:
Let's say you measure both devices with a tone and the A300 is 12dB lower than a 2V DAC in REW. You played the same -6dB tone on both devices, so that cancels out in a ratio, and we're left with:
Made up voltage of the a300 for my made up example=2V*10^(-12/20)=2*10^-0.6=2*0.2511=about 0.5V.

Does that make sense?

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #2,378 of 4,137
I've seen that Indian versions has printed in the back the manufacturing date, did any of you guys found a way to know it in the rest of the device's versions? (japan, EU, etc?)
I'm from Australia, and I have the Indian version. The date on my A306 is 01-2023. Hoping the collection of manufacturing dates helps establish a pattern in understanding why some have the low bass issue, and others don't. My unit definitely has the low bass issue.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #2,379 of 4,137
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking more about sound quality differences since some people say past capped versions sounded veiled.

Yes, I said that and Goody and abitdeef I think. I didn't notice any difference with a capped vs uncapped WM1AM2 and I've not heard a UK A306 so maybe just volume capped and the gamble if you get one with the bass issue.

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #2,381 of 4,137
Do the Japanese models have a stronger amp section? My A306 is weaker than the Apple Dongle. Love the form factor but this is ridiculous.

As covered in thread, expect around 20 volume steps more with the uncapped versions. If you need a volume of 100/120 on US one it would be more like 80/120 on the uncapped ones.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #2,382 of 4,137
Got this reply from AJ today lol. Basically rlw6534's reply from Sony was noted.

Screenshot_20230320-110053_Gmail.jpg
I'm looking at the reply, and if I'm not mistaken they're saying that the claim that it's a software issue is coming from an end user/a customer and not directly from Sony. There's still no actual written confirmation from Sony support that the issue is firmware related, everything is still coming from that single phone call. I'm certainly cautious to believe it, because when I first read it I asked in my ongoing support email chain if they could confirm it, and after "escalating" it twice over three next few days, it just went silent, no word from them for four days now. I've send an email asking for an update on the issue.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,384 of 4,137
I'm looking at the reply, and if I'm not mistaken they're saying that the claim that it's a software issue is coming from an end user/a customer and not directly from Sony. There's still no actual written confirmation from Sony support that the issue is firmware related, everything is still coming from that single phone call. I'm certainly cautious to believe it, because when I first read it I asked in my ongoing support email chain if they could confirm it, and after "escalating" it twice over three next few days, it just went silent, no word from them for four days now. I've send an email asking for an update on the issue.

I think advise would be to hold off buying one for now and return in your return windows if you have bass issue, as no official response from Sony yet.

Those that imported and not easy to return have the dilemma.

Mar 21, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,385 of 4,137
I think advise would be to hold off buying one for now and return in your return windows if you have bass issue, as no official response from Sony yet.

Those that imported and not easy to return have the dilemma.

Yes, I am in that position now where I'm not even sure how to return through Buyee. I have no reason to doubt the information that I got from Sony (and posted here) and will most likely wait for the firmware fix. I also have contacted technical support and have been escalated 4 times, but no communication in the last several days. I did this independently from the Community Support Forum pathway which is how I got in contact with Sony directly. Unfortunately, the Support Forum and Technical Support is handled by a third party which is clearly not effective and painfully slow in responding. They seem to be just following scripts...

For what it's worth, I'm not particularly comfortable being the apparent sole source of information from Sony and would very much like to see additional confirmation/information also. I would suggest opening as many tech support cases as we can and not accepting scripted responses and force further escalation. I'm doing my part... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back