New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 21, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #2,386 of 4,139
I'm looking at the reply, and if I'm not mistaken they're saying that the claim that it's a software issue is coming from an end user/a customer and not directly from Sony. There's still no actual written confirmation from Sony support that the issue is firmware related, everything is still coming from that single phone call. I'm certainly cautious to believe it, because when I first read it I asked in my ongoing support email chain if they could confirm it, and after "escalating" it twice over three next few days, it just went silent, no word from them for four days now. I've send an email asking for an update on the issue.

Yes, they said wait, mine has bass now but obviously had a software issue earlier. We've got to go down the channels that are available at this time. As I stated before the amount of people that are complaining is small. I'm pretty sure Sony isn't going to announce anything, and this will quietly be corrected via firmware at some point.

The customer service reps I talked to told me the best thing to do is sound off on the community forum. We've done that, rlw6534 has done more by being able to talk directly to sony, not the third party CS system. I personally can get more info from AccessoryJack as I've dealt with them before I'm pretty sure if it was a hardware problem we'd be able to get a new one.

They're very nice and accommodating and this is my 4th dap from them. Obviously people who purchased from other vendors I dont have any idea, I'm assuming you could ship it back and they'd get another from the regional distributor. But of course if you've got doubts and can return of course return it. And I've told everyone that's asked I wouldn't buy right now, as it's a lottery wether you're going to get a bass light model or not.

Hopefully we can get more info or an update. Maybe someone else can get past the third party channels.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #2,387 of 4,139
I think advise would be to hold off buying one for now and return in your return windows if you have bass issue, as no official response from Sony yet.

Those that imported and not easy to return have the dilemma.

Yep it's not capped.

I am newbie and is looking to buy a NW-A306. I cancelled my pre-order with Amazon after learned about the volume cap on NA models.

The specification on the maximum power output for different models

Sony Hong Kong
https://www.sony.com.hk/en/walkman/products/nw-a306/spec
Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Q/mW): 35mW+35mw

Sony Japan
https://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-A300_series/spec.html
Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Q/mW): 35mW+35mw

Sony Electronic USA
https://electronics.sony.com/audio/walkman-digital-recorders/walkman-mp3-players/p/nwa306-b
Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/mW) 0.4-1.1mW (32Ω)

Sony UK
https://www.sony.co.uk/walkman/products/nw-a306/spec
Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/mW) 0.4-1.1mW (32Ω)

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #2,388 of 4,139
Interesting video upload, one of you lot?

Difference clear to hear! Both bass issue Sony's weak as a fart. Pity he didn't have a good one to directly compare.

Would it be possible to do a comparison between the wma1m2 and the a306 in this manner to see if they're significantly different sound quality wise? is the m2 really $1000 dollars better? Or how much should it cost given the quality of sound that comes out of it? I'm thinking of just getting the m2 to avoid the whole cap vs non cap + bass problems.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #2,389 of 4,139
Would it be possible to do a comparison between the wma1m2 and the a306 in this manner to see if they're significantly different sound quality wise? is the m2 really $1000 dollars better? Or how much should it cost given the quality of sound that comes out of it? I'm thinking of just getting the m2 to avoid the whole cap vs non cap + bass problems.
I only own the A306 so wouldn't be able to do the test personally, the other issue being that I'm currently in between houses and have since put my DJ decks into storage.

Recording it is quite simple with the right equipment though, if you know any friends that own either a DJ mixer, stand-alone system, or controller with line level inputs then all you need to do it plug the device into an audio channel and then use the recording function within the DJ software to play the original file internally, and then the same file externally from the devices being tested.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #2,390 of 4,139
I sold the WM1AM2 which I had about 4 months and now just have the A307 and not missing the M2 myself, but then I don't think I have Golden ears. The M2 is improved but then it should be at £1399. Too large/heavy for me as a pocket friendly mobile DAP and the ZX707 not much smaller and the A306/7 has great battery life for its size.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #2,391 of 4,139
Hi MyronGaines,

89042BB0-869E-4DFF-AA27-2A1A91FFB81F.jpeg

Going from memory, when I listened to WM1AM2 (USA region model, in 4.4 balanced, with high gain on and in Direct Source mode) few weeks back, I found it to be decent in most areas of presentation, tonality and performance. In comparison to A306, WM1AM2 has a larger and noticeably wider soundstage with more body and texture in lows and mids as well as more air with slightly more extended highs.

From low end, WM1AM2 has more noticeable presence with some added heft, texture (a bit tighter bodied), impact and decay. There is a fair amount of physicality and slam from bass done in a subtle ‘clean’ way with good definition, enough body and some swiftness in speed. Sub-bass is also decent with enough felt (and slight weighted) presence of subtle lows to upper low regions.

Transients are noticeably more sharpened with a bit more detail retrieval, with slightly more dense bodied weight and some added clarity. Resolution is also a step up with more subtle details that can be heard and felt from most tracks with vocals and instruments, as well as a bit more room and space for instruments and vocals to move around and perform across & along the stage.

However, I wouldn’t say these differences are a drastic ‘improvement’ over the A306, but rather just noticeable and subtle in its ways with a slightly different presentation and tonality.

At a higher price point of over a grand for the WM1AM2, I found its ‘mediocre’ responsiveness in going through tracks on Tidal with some inconsistencies (in user interface) and switching through other apps with a bit of lag, as well as its slightly bulky shaped form factor (with tpu case on when used on the go) to be inconvenient for portable listening on the go. I ended up returning it back to Amazon about a week later (returns are free of charge with Prime membership).

For the A306 (Japan region model, in 3.5 single-ended), it shares some similar qualities with the WM1AM2, but with a slightly more intimate, noticeably more smooth and ‘musical’ kind of presentation, balanced by a bit of softness in its transients with just enough details, low end, mids & highs, and presence of stage & air for on the go listening (in a more portable size and compact form factor).

Before making the commitment in purchasing this dap, I think the best thing you can do is to find a portable audio shop nearby (or attend shows like CanJam) and try/listen to the WM1AM2 to get a good feel & sense for the kind of sound and performance you’re getting.

:)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #2,392 of 4,139
It's a great sounding dap, as long as you're not trying to drive anything that needs power. The soundstage is a bit narrower than flagship daps and such, but at times it sounds massive. I do engage EQ in Sonys I always have even if it's just a couple of db boost.
I think it makes the stage a bit bigger- that's just me, I could be crazy.

But I've had some flagships and this little thing keeps me happy. I just sold a 300 dollar dongle because I like the sound out of the a306 so much. I only use a dongle if I need more power now.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #2,393 of 4,139
Anyone on here managed to source an official type Sony case for their 306 or 307? I know there was some posts earlier in these posts but wondered if any new has come to light? It would be to be delivered to the UK.
Cheers Graham

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #2,394 of 4,139
Anyone on here managed to source an official type Sony case for their 306 or 307? I know there was some posts earlier in these posts but wondered if any new has come to light? It would be to be delivered to the UK.
Cheers Graham
I got mine same time as A307 from Amazon Japan but via Buyee proxy service.

Others, ebay.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #2,395 of 4,139
Cheers Graham
Using NW-A105 silicon case which fits fine. Other A105 cases may not though - would just have to be trial and error.

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #2,396 of 4,139
I ordered a generic soft clear TPU protective shell skin case for the A306 from Amazon but just received a notification that my package has been lost. Now I have a A306 with low bass and a missing case. Hopefully the week gets better.

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #2,397 of 4,139
I ordered a generic soft clear TPU protective shell skin case for the A306 from Amazon but just received a notification that my package has been lost. Now I have a A306 with low bass and a missing case. Hopefully the week gets better.
Could be worse, we get threat of being Nuked every week/month :rolling_eyes:

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #2,398 of 4,139
i dont have a case either, or a screen protector but the dap seems pretty durable. i will get a miter one tho if they make one? hoping they will. I have one for the ibasso and i dont love it round the screen as its just a slither of material, but on the a100 sony it seems a lot more rugged.

not many options for cases so far in the uk. wonder how long it n ormally takes for them to release one.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #2,399 of 4,139
i dont have a case either, or a screen protector but the dap seems pretty durable. i will get a miter one tho if they make one? hoping they will. I have one for the ibasso and i dont love it round the screen as its just a slither of material, but on the a100 sony it seems a lot more rugged.

not many options for cases so far in the uk. wonder how long it n ormally takes for them to release one.
Sony rarely release their official cases in UK for their DAP's. No idea why they choose not to.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #2,400 of 4,139

The Miter A105 case fits perfectly.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Walkman-NW-A100TPS-A105HN-Protector-Handmade/dp/B082XFYP2S

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back