SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 6, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,831 of 15,524
Honestly, as an amateur person, this picture does not make sense at all =(
With the WM1AM2, do you notice that individual musical instruments are more easier to identify and locate? They will appear in the sound field in more defined spacing and will be positioned more further apart from one and another. You will find that it is more relaxing to listen as the music instruments don’t require as much mental processing to identify as compared to listening on other smartphones which will make the vocals and all instruments appearing more mixed in together in one single or few spots in a smaller sound field.

This spreading of the instruments will be even more well defined if you use 4.4mm balanced headphones/iems. Your headphone/iem sound performance will of course affect how much layering and separation you will hear.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #1,833 of 15,524
Seriously love this DAP. Sony have done a remarkable job with the sound quality. It reminds me a lot of DMP-Z1. Incredible layering, separation and detail with a lovely balance between warmth, texture, clarity and resolution. The stage is very open much like DMP-Z1, although not quite as spacious as its big brother. But still, for a dap it sounds very large.

0141E1D7-E14E-401F-9064-88E717E1A05B.jpeg

Ngl, the digital DMP-Z1 gold volume knob is probably my favourite feature 😄

05CE177B-EAF2-454B-864F-F6BD696AAC45.jpeg

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #1,834 of 15,524
Want a good deal on Sony products? Best I can do is tell you not to buy from the grey market.
This is so true. These toys are so expensive to get without warranty! But not having them available on the street market may hurt Sony even more. We could already see this for their Xperia phones here.
My list of gripes can go on forever but I know I will still buy a Sony at the end of the day.
Still, it's good for Sony that this is also true, lucky for them hahaha.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #1,835 of 15,524
Seriously love this DAP. Sony have done a remarkable job with the sound quality. It reminds me a lot of DMP-Z1. Incredible layering, separation and detail with a lovely balance between warmth, texture, clarity and resolution. The stage is very open much like DMP-Z1, although not quite as spacious as its big brother. But still, for a dap it sounds very large.

Which of your IEM and cable has the best synergy with the WM1ZM2?

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #1,836 of 15,524
This is so true. These toys are so expensive to get without warranty! But not having them available on the street market may hurt Sony even more. We could already see this for their Xperia phones here.

Still, it's good for Sony that this is also true, lucky for them hahaha.
Sony is such a strange company, their Xperia line of smartphones are actually technically more advanced in feature set over Samsung or Apple. If you have hold the Xperia Pro phone in your hand, it really feels that it’s a very premium product that’s built like a tank. The Xperia OLED screen is miles ahead of Samsung and Apple in terms of accurate color and brightness. Sony really sucks at marketing their products. They have so much quality and technology packed into the phone like a high quality battery cells that can be used for years without losing charging capacity but not many people know about them over the crap that is Samsung.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #1,837 of 15,524

Can you please compare against N8ii?

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #1,839 of 15,524
Sony is such a strange company, their Xperia line of smartphones are actually technically more advanced in feature set over Samsung or Apple. If you have hold the Xperia Pro phone in your hand, it really feels that it’s a very premium product that’s built like a tank. The Xperia OLED screen is miles ahead of Samsung and Apple in terms of accurate color and brightness. Sony really sucks at marketing their products. They have so much quality and technology packed into the phone like a high quality battery cells that can be used for years without losing charging capacity but not many people know about them over the crap that is Samsung.
I've been buying Sony phones since the Sony Ericsson days and although I've not had the Pro I've bought the "normal" flagship phones for about 9 years now.

Sony phones are abysmal compared to the competition. The OLED screen is manufactured by a third party company (as it will be for all major phone manufacturers except for Samsung) and a common complaint is that the screen brightness is lower than that of the competition and the colours are similar to iPhones and Samsung's. It falls way way short in the camera department compared to the competition. It uses the same battery as the others ones (usually, historically, with a lower capacity than the competition. This has changed in the last 2 or so years) but it has battery care software that is supposed to increase the longevity of the battery.

Despite knowing that Sony phones are inferior to the competition I would still not consider any other manufacturer because:

1.) I am a Sony fan boy
2.) I love the design
3.) The aspect ratio of the screen

Literally every other aspect of their phones is bettered by the competition.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #1,840 of 15,524

Sure, the Samsung can boast a 108MP camera sensor as compared to the 12MP(20MP hardware) Sony. The difference is Sony delivers real life colors and doesn’t do forced aggressive AI sharpening, forced face smoothing enhancements.

Here’s a serious review of the Sony by one of the camera professionals out there:

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #1,841 of 15,524

Sure, the Samsung can boast a 108MP camera sensor as compared to the 12MP(20MP hardware) Sony. The difference is Sony delivers real life colors and doesn’t do forced aggressive AI sharpening, forced face smoothing enhancements.

Here’s a serious review of the Sony by one of the camera professionals out there:

When you are talking about camera and digital photos, the differences between them Algorithms and DSP can bring significant changes. The same as digital music. Yet, a lot of people still hold on to the ideas that digital is only 1 and 0, and that all DAC should sound the same…even amplifiers LOL!!

Anyways, because we realized the differences and we crave it….so we have money happily flying out of our pockets. I gotta say that in phones photos, Apple and Sony are excellent, Samsung is Mehz

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #1,842 of 15,524
When you are talking about camera and digital photos, the differences between them Algorithms and DSP can bring significant changes. The same as digital music. Yet, a lot of people still hold on to the ideas that digital is only 1 and 0, and that all DAC should sound the same…even amplifiers LOL!!

Anyways, because we realized the differences and we crave it….so we have money happily flying out of our pockets. I gotta say that in phones photos, Apple and Sony are excellent, Samsung is Mehz
I think it boils down to a lack of understanding of science and electronic engineering or a choice to stubbornly believe in what they believed all along. Like for example they(audio objectivists) like to quote the Shannon Nyquist Sampling Theorem as the be all and end all when it comes to music file and anything else recorded beyond 44.1KHz is a waste of space.

They don’t understand that when it comes to the real world, there’s a thing known as engineering implementation and to design a brick wall filter that filters frequency accurately down to the dot is something near impossible and will involve a lot of computational cost. Thus the real need for high sampling rates or usage of oversampling algorithms which is another world of mathematical engineering implementation universe all together.

I am still quite surprised that the majority of walkman owners in this forum that still uses direct source ON as their prefered listening mode. For me I find that Sony DSP like DC Phase Linearizer and DSEE Ultimate has been a great assistance to get my music collection to sound even more enjoyable to my ears. Most of my collection is 16bit pcm files although recently my 24bit files is also increasing in numbers.

I believe this new Sony Walkman has quite alot of incremental improvements not just in the hardware but at the digital signal processing side which you have to explore to hear for yourself, when you first enable it, the effect might seem very subtle but if you listen to more albums, you will discover that the digital signal processing is done just right without being overly aggressive and intrusive.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #1,843 of 15,524
I think it boils down to a lack of understanding of science and electronic engineering or a choice to stubbornly believe in what they believed all along. Like for example they(audio objectivists) like to quote the Shannon Nyquist Sampling Theorem as the be all and end all when it comes to music file and anything else recorded beyond 44.1KHz is a waste of space.

They don’t understand that when it comes to the real world, there’s a thing known as engineering implementation and to design a brick wall filter that filters frequency accurately down to the dot is something near impossible and will involve a lot of computational cost. Thus the real need for high sampling rates or usage of oversampling algorithms which is another world of mathematical engineering implementation universe all together.

I am still quite surprised that the majority of walkman owners in this forum that still uses direct source ON as their prefer listening mode. For me I find that Sony DSP like DC Phase Linearizer and DSEE Ultimate has been a great assistance to get my music collection to sound even more enjoyable to my ears. Most of my collection is 16bit pcm files although recently my 24bit files is also increasing in numbers.

I believe this new Sony Walkman has quite alot of incremental improvements not just in the hardware but at the digital signal processing side which you have to explore to hear for yourself, when you first enable it, the effect might seem very subtle but if you listen to more albums, you will discover that the digital signal processing is done just right without being overly aggressive and intrusive.
There is no one out there to understand digital and the algorithms to make it work better than Sony. They are the pioneer of this digital world

NyQuist Theory is the minimal for high resolution music. The best example o can bring to anyone is the “Retina display” from Apple. Yes, the theory claimed that at 326PPI, your human eyes can no longer tell the differences. Well, it isn’t entirely true. You can not tell the differences between 326PPI to possibly 20% tolerances like compared to 388PPI or so, but if you compared it to a much higher 458 PPI on Pro Max 13, the differences are obvious.

But when you really love to tell the differences, stating and comparing between 326 VS 388 for long enough time and you can definitely tell. Human, we have amazingly adapting abilities. Once adapted, it stays with us. The same as audio performances. You can’t tell between FLAC 48khz VS it original DXD 384Khz, but sit there and compare between them for a while, learn where to look into and there will be differences. Note it down, get it to your memories, and you will always be able to tell (Please don’t try to compare between 48Khz vs Upscaled 384Khz, try to compare to original recording of DXD first, and then comparing Upscaled later)

I agreed about Sony DSEE HX. I think This is what Chord has been heading too! But they are only desktop stuff, and scaling as high as 768Khz. They don’t have both Native DSD and upscaling together like Sony stuff though

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #1,845 of 15,524
ConnectIT Singapure seems to have both
Sonys in stock .
Does anyone have good or bad experience with this dealer ? 🤔
I had checked with them. They do not have stock for their pre-orders as yet. So, please do use the chat function on their website to find out more. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back