SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #1,966 of 2,453
In my case, I don't use streaming either - I usually carry a few 256GB cards with everything I listen to (a lot of it wouldn't get played on radio/streaming anyways). I'm glad the 400GB cards are coming out, but I'm still waiting for the day when 512GB or 1TB cards arrive...

The main issue with larger and larger cards and DAP's is the processing power of the DAP. As the capacity grows it will take longer to scan the whole card to find tracks and scan the library. People are complaining about sluggish DAP's as it is and it will get worse with larger cards. I would rather see DAP makers add more onboard memory vs using larger and larger cards for faster access.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #1,976 of 2,453
thanks guys for the info. sony is selling the 16 gb nw-a30 here without headphones and the nw-a36hn 32gb with headphones, i guess ill go for the nw-a30 since it can be expanded via a micro-sd card. by the way is the sony nw-a30 a better dap than the fiio x1ii (fiio x1 2nd gen)?
You might want to check out the upcoming A40 while you're shopping. And yes i believe to me the user experience is much much better than the X1 II.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #1,977 of 2,453
the sony nw-a30 a better dap than the fiio x1ii (fiio x1 2nd gen)?
In a word, yes.
The Fiio might sound good, but it's plagued by really slow hardware, not got proper gapless, weak Bluetooth, no touchscreen, and still has bugs. Apart from extra power, it has no advantages.
Edit: as Superuser says, there is a new model coming out soon. So don't pay full price for the A35. If you get a good deal, as I did, it's still worth buying. Or wait, if you're paying full price for the next model.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #1,979 of 2,453
i think i'll go for the a35
You'll be very happy with the A35, it sounds great and works really well, but I would try to squeeze the price down if at all possible.
I paid $120, and it's beginning to be discounted locally as retailers make way for the new model.
I don't know your local situation but you might be able to get them to go lower (if you want, of course, if you're happy with the price then go for it!)
But it's a great player, I'm totally satisfied with it in every way.
Whatever you do, just enjoy and be happy with one of the nicest DAP around!! :)

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,980 of 2,453
What iem would be a good pair with this dap? 200 to 300 usd budget. Thanks

Forget the XBA-30 and 40, Pure BA IEM tends to be cold and can lack impact on the bass. I would recommend the Sony Hybrids like the XBA-N3, I have the 20, 30 then I got the A3, N3, Z5 and never looked back. The N3 while not the best, is the most compact and easy to drive and come close to the other 2 for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back