SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Oct 8, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,951 of 2,453
Just an update to my sd card case. Looks like it was my 64gb who’s got a problem. My 16gb card was read perfectly. Now to figure out how to fix my 64gb.
Nice! What make was your 64 gig card? I've been using a 128 gig and 200 gig sandisk without problems.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #1,952 of 2,453
Nice! What make was your 64 gig card? I've been using a 128 gig and 200 gig sandisk without problems.
Strontium class 10 brand. It’s still being read by my lappy so I’m really puzzled.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #1,954 of 2,453
I have tried 128 and 200 gigs Sandisk and it hasnt given me any problems.
Initially there were some glitches and i formatted the card in the DAP itself and it was solved.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #1,957 of 2,453
The laggy screen is as bad as ever.

I'm afraid I don't use the radio, so can't help you there.
Hmm, that's odd. Mine doesn't lag at all. It seems that the card speed (true speed, not the "Class 10") makes quite a bit of difference. Open up the side cover and watch the disk access light while you scroll down a big list - it blinks the whole time.

I'm running a PNY Elite Pro 256GB card, does ~135MB/s write and ~160MB/s read on a USB 3 reader to a PCIe disk. I originally tried a Sandisk Ultra 200GB - it lagged badly with it's high latency.

Radio...stations are still transmitting? I haven't tuned into a station in over 10 years!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #1,958 of 2,453
I use a 200GB Sandisk and dont experience any lag.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,959 of 2,453
The laggy screen is as bad as ever.

I'm afraid I don't use the radio, so can't help you there.
No lag for me after updating to the newest firmware. I have it since the release and since they published the update I think 1.20 it's normal operation. Obviously not like a flagship smartphone but still pretty smooth and without any problems.

Also many people claim that there is a 1 sec after you use the play/pause button, but that's done on purpose I think. I asked the Sony Support and they told me that the tech department looked into it and this pause is done on purpose.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,960 of 2,453
Perhaps I was unclear. By "lag" what I mean is that pressing the on-screen buttons (especially the "back" button) does not do anything and I often have to press it two or three times before it responds. I know that the device is detecting the presses because the button lights up, it just does nothing. It's not a huge problem but it's very annoying.

I've also noticed that after charging, the player remembers the track and album I was playing but when pressing "back" it goes back to the start menu, not into the album list through which I got to the album, which is also annoying.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #1,961 of 2,453
1) No radio channels won't change when screen is turned off. You cannot preset more than 30 channels. There is not instant RDS feature like on cars. Can't adjust the EQ features while on Radio. But on screen buttons provide much quicker reaction than normal music player controls.
In short don't buy this device for practical Radio usage.

2) Sound was quite dissppointment for me. This is the 1st time head fi fooled me big time. Excellent hardware with A35 but my S7 exynoss can give lower frequencies than A35. With A35 bass is boosted, treble is boosted. I'm sick that Sony does the same tuning to their smartphones like all Z series, many headphones like MDR1A and now to this A-35. And It's quite frightening that only few recognized this so far. Everybody here says wow really good, cymbals are great, player is a bit warm and all that but I can't get over that Samsungs and iPhones sound almost dead flat but not this player. And that's the elephant in the room, really obvious. Clarity and black bacground is very good however. Very good hardware. One other problem with me is that soundstage feels compressed into my head. Layering is good but all is compressed into my head, S7 iPhones and Soundcards (Xonar U7 I have) don't make me "uuh enough". I want more with them mostly but not with this player. I usually listen on way lower levels with this A35 player because of that problem. BTW If you listen mostly dubstep and EDM you might find it to your advantage.

3) This player is SLOW. Because of Processor and in built storage. Sorry but If 2007 iPod device is more fluid and instant reactions to your presses and not 2017 device, there is no defending it. HOWEVER, many quality Daps have this problem (except some flagship ones) I use mostly device Storage, even with the no album art files It sttters almost all the time while scrolling. Worse than 2012 android flagships. BUT I don't know how it will effect If I insert better than class 10 SD carda and transfer all the files to it. But, screen is quite good. I wish there was light sensor. Screen responsivenes not that great also. Some smudges will confuse the touch responsivenes. And othrr problem is this device is not consisten with next pause and play reaction time. That's why I say It's not deliberatly done thay way by Sony. I feel It sonetimes struggles and needs more time.

4) Built quality is bad. I saw one person dropped it with case and he says even with the case devices edges are deformed considerably. It's not that obvious but It's there. The sheet metal is a thin indeed. And anodizing is really thin. I scratched the device quite easily. I can't tell you how thin the scratch is and how thin the anodizing.
Other general problem, In this time when people and many reviewers see aliminum or any kind of metal on portable device they will automatically say: very solid built quality. Many people said their edge of their A35 is going off the plastic top and bottom cover, production tolerances are bad. The sheet's thickness ane aliminum they use don't have enough toughness from that dropped photo.
I would say quality plastic with good coating ans smartphone class tolerances and without this super sharp edges (which will be the weakest point in case of impact) would be more appropriate design choice and lead considerably better built quality.

I don't recommend this device If you have options unlike me. Battery life is quite good If you don't use much of the effects and screen navigation. And compares to other Daps, battery life is really good as people here stated.

Extra: I didn't like IEMs. I tried and use A35 with low empedance headphones, all the time. May be they pair good witj spesifically IEMs, although I don't think so.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #1,962 of 2,453
1: Who cares about radio really

2: I like the sound very much

3: There are slower players out there

4: This is not an expensive player so build quality is not on par with daps more than 2 or 3 times the price. I put all my daps in a case and try not to drop them :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #1,963 of 2,453
Thanks to all who replied to my questions, Especially HAWX.

It's disappointing to learn about the UI slowness and the handicapped control of the FM tuner. I guess i'll wait to see how the A40 series will turn out regarding these issues.

BTW, Surprise surprise but there are those of us for whom FM Radio is far from dead and who still use it extensively because: A. Their favorite stations still haven't moved to Digital or their presence there sucks wrt SQ. B. Don't wan't to leave data connection on 24/7 because it screwing drains the battery like no other.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,964 of 2,453
BTW, Surprise surprise but there are those of us for whom FM Radio is far from dead and who still use it extensively because: A. Their favorite stations still haven't moved to Digital or their presence there sucks wrt SQ. B. Don't wan't to leave data connection on 24/7 because it screwing drains the battery like no other.

Clear Channel really destroyed radio in the states but even with just their copy-paste stations and a few NPR or public access ones I still like having radio too, it's cool to be able to go to a new place and check out the local stations etc... Plus in a lot of places there isnt' perfectly reliable internet access so I don't consider digital radio and streaming a perfect situation either.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,965 of 2,453
Clear Channel really destroyed radio in the states but even with just their copy-paste stations and a few NPR or public access ones I still like having radio too, it's cool to be able to go to a new place and check out the local stations etc... Plus in a lot of places there isnt' perfectly reliable internet access so I don't consider digital radio and streaming a perfect situation either.
In my case, I don't use streaming either - I usually carry a few 256GB cards with everything I listen to (a lot of it wouldn't get played on radio/streaming anyways). I'm glad the 400GB cards are coming out, but I'm still waiting for the day when 512GB or 1TB cards arrive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back