New Sony EX450 and EX650.
Jul 27, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #31 of 82
Wow, thanks!
I was gonna buy the MMX 102 but now I might go for the EX650.......

I listen to Two Steps From Hell, which is more like epic Instrumentals/orchesteral. Would the 650 produce enough detail in the treble, or enough bass to give depth? I'm afraid the sound might be too distant.
Someone said the treble is distorted a few posts above, is this true? Because I couldn't let that pass.
I have only tried the MMX 102, and they sounded great if only a little too much bass.

What about the IM50 Audio Technica?
(thanks again, was having trouble finding someone who has actually tried the MMX) :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #32 of 82
Haha, this I do not know, for everyone has different preferences and expectations for their music :)

The EX650 sounds very natural to my ears. To me, it is a pretty decent performer across the genres, especially for its price. I have not tried the AT IM50, but I've tried the CKR7,9 and 10. I've also tried the Sennheiser Momentum IE and the Shures BA IEMs. If you need more comparisons for them I could try to help you there :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #33 of 82
Haha, thanks.
I haven't tried any of them so I'm not sure that would help. But thanks anyway. I don't suppose you've tried the Beyerdynamic XP2?

Again about the treble, have you noticed any problems in the highs? Any kind of distortion?

Is pretty surprising considering the price difference between the MMX and the 650,that the Sony could be better.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #34 of 82
I do not detect any distortion in music played through my setup. And yeah, I was really disappointed with the MMX102 too. Can't comprehend how they got five stars on what hifi, haha. Maybe the saying each to their own applies in this case as well?

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #36 of 82
Not sure about the warranty, for I got mine from an online store at a lower-than-retail price before the product was even displayed in the official stores here :)

Build quality is actually quite decent, but the design of the housing indicates that the plastic portion would be the part bearing the brunt of the force should it ever be trodden on. Wonder if it is capable of withstanding that... Besides this it should be fine though. Been bringing it around with me for a while now... and I'm not known to be the gentlest of users with my IEMs haha :)

Oh yes; an update to the soundstage after switching to my amp from the ipod. The drums and percussion have been brought forward in the mix, ahead of the vocals. Bass is quite strong, but doesn't drown out the vocals or intrude into the mids.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #37 of 82
OK, thanks man.
Really helped, I think I'll go for the EX650AP.
:) Really appreciate it.
How's the warranty? Build quality?
I know the MMX 102 has a pretty cool 2 years.

Mine just presented a discoloration of the brass housing. Can't determine whether it's because of golden paint fading or because of brass natural deterioration. Sound coming out of these though is awesome indeed and the thin but strong cable design is a quite successful development.
Also they really are the most comfortable iems I've ever used. They stay in my ear without disturbing and without losing their fit and seal for long time no matter my movements.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #38 of 82
Mine just presented a discoloration of the brass housing. Can't determine whether it's because of golden paint fading or because of brass natural deterioration. Sound coming out of these though is awesome indeed and the thin but strong cable design is a quite successful development.
Also they really are the most comfortable iems I've ever used. They stay in my ear without disturbing and without losing their fit and seal for long time no matter my movements.

Could you post a pic?
Could anyone clarify whether it's actually made of brass?

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #41 of 82
It's pretty much solid brass. I've had my pair of mdr-ex650ap for about a month and I really like them - very comfortable to wear, enjoyable bass thump and not too much treble.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #45 of 82
OK guys!
I just bought them!
They sound pretty great! Amazing sound!
The bass is a bit more rumbly than I would've liked and the highs aren't quite as crisp, the string instruments do sound slightly muffled.
I think can hear some hissing....
But overall I'm quite happy with my purchase.

No burn in yet, just got 'em!
The sound stage is really nice, the mids are really good.
Thanks guys!! Better than the MMX 102 IE for sure.

UPDATE : After listening for quite a while the bass has tightened up, it's much better now.
The highs are clearer, very happy atm.
The microphonics can be bothersome sometimes, but I wear them cable down.
Though they're is some very quiet background crackling/hissing although that's probably the source rather than the earphones themselves.
I really recommend listening to Hans Zimmer 's Mombasa with these. In high quality FLAC. Epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back