New Sony EX450 and EX650.
Aug 29, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #61 of 82
Well the Xperia Z3 Compact has the ability to output much higher quality audio than the iPhone 6. I think the problem is with my EX650 since the hissing is much worse when plugged into my laptop or my sisters Lumia 630. I think the Z3 Compact is just good enough to make the hissing barely noticeable.
Might go for a replacement.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #62 of 82
Well the Xperia Z3 Compact has the ability to output much higher quality audio than the iPhone 6. I think the problem is with my EX650 since the hissing is much worse when plugged into my laptop or my sisters Lumia 630. I think the Z3 Compact is just good enough to make the hissing barely noticeable.
Might go for a replacement.

Sorry to destroy it for you, but it is very well known that iPhone is the best implemented device for audio. It's not just the DAC, it's the whole implementation and iOS which are involved in the final result. Listen with an iPhone and you will find out by yourself...

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #63 of 82
Well no. The Z3 can output hi res. Which is 24bit at 96khz. The iPhone 6 can't.
Many people have compared and confirmed that the Z3 series is much superior. Sony has a history of high quality audio equipment and have applied it to their phones.
The circuitry is fine, the OS is perfectly suited to high quality audio output.
Yes, the actual stereo speakers are not as good as the iPhone but the headphone output is much better.

I don't want to turn this thread into an Apple versus Sony shouting match so let's just focus on the EX650, which is awesome (and Sony).

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #64 of 82
Well no. The Z3 can output hi res. Which is 24bit at 96khz. The iPhone 6 can't.
Many people have compared and confirmed that the Z3 series is much superior. Sony has a history of high quality audio equipment and have applied it to their phones.
The circuitry is fine, the OS is perfectly suited to high quality audio output.
Yes, the actual stereo speakers are not as good as the iPhone but the headphone output is much better.

I don't want to turn this thread into an Apple versus Sony shouting match so let's just focus on the EX650, which is awesome (and Sony).

24/96 means nothing for audio quality. Many sound engineers agree that the benefits of high res files cannot get noticed by human hearing. 16/44,1 is as good as it gets. Streaming quality of Apple Music in AAC or MP3 at 320 are more than enough for really high quality audio. There is no real need for so many GB of storage to listen to perfect sound in 2015. All rest are marketing tricks, like the return of vinyl for a so called quality sound, lol. Regarding the "history of Sony in high quality audio" please check a little the relevant history of Apple...I have nothing against Sony though, since I own myself the EX650 which I like a lot. Sony can produce for sure high quality headphones, but a smart phone or a computer is a completely different story...Finally please do not forget that Apple devices get Apple's OS as well, which is not the case of Sony who can get no control over the OS of their phones...

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #65 of 82
Uh.......no offence but that whole post was complete utter rubbish. Every sentence.
Audio quality will only be "as good as it gets" when we can no longer discern the difference between a digital reproduction and live performances, we are no where near that point.
Apple has next to no history in high quality audio compared to Sony, look it up.
MP3 even at 320kbps is not "high quality audio" that honour goes to FLAC, and yes you can hear the difference.

The OS doesn't really make a difference since it rarely meddles in sound reproduction(except for decoding the files), the DAC plays a huge role and the circuitry around it.
Android is open source so Sony of course can do with it what it likes. What's more YOU can do with it what you like.

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #66 of 82
Sorry to destroy it for you, but it is very well known that iPhone is the best implemented device for audio. It's not just the DAC, it's the whole implementation and iOS which are involved in the final result. Listen with an iPhone and you will find out by yourself...

THE best implemented device for audio. wow. That's good to know. It will save people thousands. Is that with the standard earpods?

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #67 of 82
Uh.......no offence but that whole post was complete utter rubbish. Every sentence.
Audio quality will only be "as good as it gets" when we can no longer discern the difference between a digital reproduction and live performances, we are no where near that point.
Apple has next to no history in high quality audio compared to Sony, look it up.
MP3 even at 320kbps is not "high quality audio" that honour goes to FLAC, and yes you can hear the difference.

The OS doesn't really make a difference since it rarely meddles in sound reproduction(except for decoding the files), the DAC plays a huge role and the circuitry around it.
Android is open source so Sony of course can do with it what it likes. What's more YOU can do with it what you like.

Have you ever participated in a blind test in optimal conditions (volume levels etc), with MP3 at 320 and FLAC? If so and if you could hear the difference then by all means, go on buying storage, FLAC files and Tidal subscriptions. But if you just believe so because you read it somewhere in Internet or because someone told you that FLAC is better, then search more, get your own real comparisons and open your mind.

Regarding Apple's history in audio, you are obviously not aware since most probably you never used any Apple computer, music production software etc, so I rest my case. Vaio and Windows are awesome!!

Also read a little in this thread about the audio quality of an iPhone:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/733890/iphone-6-6-plus-audio-quality/1650

By the way why don't you take your EX650 to Sony service, instead of writing here? If you take them to Sony, I am almost certain that you will find out that your headphones are absolutely fine. The problem is your phone and the Lumia (some creating more hissing than the other but both having issues with the EX650)...

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #69 of 82
Yes, with the EarPods, which are given free with the iPhone! Please show me the quality of the headphones which are given free with your phone...

Well the Mdr NC31 aren't bad at all with great active noise cancelling (done in phone) They aren't however standard in UK unlike some other markets costing the pricey sum of £15. Most users by now might have access to other earphones of their choice anyway

However even with this outlay and a 128gb Sd card the Z3 compact is less than 1/2 price of the bigger but same sized screen IPhone. So although Sony are maybe not as generous as apple there are compensations.

I don't claim it's the ultimate audio device It's just a phone albeit a nice one

Unlike you I haven't had the chance to compare them directly (assume you must have done si as you are so certain the IPhone is superior) There probably isn't much to choose between them.

It does have some other potentially useful features such as LDAC support which may enable it to be a device for streaming Hires audio to more serious Hifi. Whereas Apple don't even provide Aptx!

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #70 of 82
I get absolutely zero hiss with the Z3C myself. Maybe it's one of the audio 'enhancements' or the wrong earphone preset selected?

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #71 of 82
Blu
Well the Mdr NC31 aren't bad at all with great active noise cancelling (done in phone) They aren't however standard in UK unlike some other markets costing the pricey sum of £15. Most users by now might have access to other earphones of their choice anyway

However even with this outlay and a 128gb Sd card the Z3 compact is less than 1/2 price of the bigger but same sized screen IPhone. So although Sony are maybe not as generous as apple there are compensations.

I don't claim it's the ultimate audio device It's just a phone albeit a nice one

Unlike you I haven't had the chance to compare them directly (assume you must have done si as you are so certain the IPhone is superior) There probably isn't much to choose between them.

It does have some other potentially useful features such as LDAC support which may enable it to be a device for streaming Hires audio to more serious Hifi. Whereas Apple don't even provide Aptx!

I do not use Bluetooth, since my personal opinion is that it gives a lower quality audio comparing to cable. Thus I do not care about Aptx. The streaming quality of an iPhone to an airport express, using wifi, and from there to a "serious hifi", as you put it, is really high to my ears...

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #73 of 82
As for Sony's history in audio ; http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/sonyhistory.html
BTW Sony jointly created the S/PDIF interface with Philips.
I'm not a Sony fanboy or an Apple hater, Apple makes damn good software and phones but they're not to my taste. But saying that the iPhone is the best portable audio device is utter nonsense.

As for blind testing, the music you listen to plays a huge part, if you just listen to pop songs that come on the radio then you may not notice much of a difference between MP3 and FLAC, but if you listen to pretty much anything else, be it jazz, orchestral, instrumental etc. Music that has a very high dynamic range and then soundstage plays a part then you will absolutely hear a difference.

As for my EX650AP I think I'm going to take them for replacement. Since I don't get hissing when I use other IEM'S.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #74 of 82
As for Sony's history in audio ; http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/sonyhistory.html
BTW Sony jointly created the S/PDIF interface with Philips.
I'm not a Sony fanboy or an Apple hater, Apple makes damn good software and phones but they're not to my taste. But saying that the iPhone is the best portable audio device is utter nonsense.

As for blind testing, the music you listen to plays a huge part, if you just listen to pop songs that come on the radio then you may not notice much of a difference between MP3 and FLAC, but if you listen to pretty much anything else, be it jazz, orchestral, instrumental etc. Music that has a very high dynamic range and then soundstage plays a part then you will absolutely hear a difference.

As for my EX650AP I think I'm going to take them for replacement. Since I don't get hissing when I use other IEM'S.

I suggest you then to participate in a blind testing with Miles Davis' On The Corner in MP3 320 and FLAC. I believe you will hear no real audible difference in that as well...

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #75 of 82
I suggest you then to participate in a blind testing with Miles Davis' On The Corner in MP3 320 and FLAC. I believe you will hear no real audible difference in that as well...

Have you ever listened to dsd? Do you use high quality gear?

You seem pretty sure about your case so I'll leave it at that. MP3's do sound great also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back