New Sony EX450 and EX650.
Jul 31, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #46 of 82
OK, I need help.
The hissing is really starting to bother me, I can hear it whenever power is supplied to the buds. So like when I set the volume to 0 and press play in Music app (Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with two TFA9890 DAC'S chips ) , in the background of every track though it's not noticeable unless the music goes quieter, whenever I get any audible notification I great the hissing start, the notification plays, the hissing stops soon after.

On my laptop it's much more audible and constant whenever plugged in (some sort of power constantly supplied).

Are they faulty? The hissing isn't loud. I'm not sure whether it's my phone or the buds.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #47 of 82

It is significantly more hiss prone than my other earphones, but the hissing of mine can only be heard when I plug it into my amplifier. Not sure if it's the Z3, never heard it before. Maybe resistance plugs will work.

Playing it from your laptop, you might want to invest in a simple external usb dac meant for low-impedance earphones. It might help in reducing the noise while improving the overall sound quality at the same time.

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #49 of 82

Ah, my mistake! It's an impedance plug. It claims to increase impedance and in doing so reduce noise. Haven't tried it before though, so take it with a pinch of salt. I'm not sure where you stay, but it is available on Carousell over here in Singapore.

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #50 of 82
I don't suppose that my EX650AP is simply defective? The other guy said he hears no hiss with his z3 compact and ex650.

The rest of the sound is fine (think so anyway).

I'm living in Malaysia, so not far off!

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #52 of 82
Unfortunately there isn't any demo sets for these.....
So I don't know whether it's faulty or that's just how it is.
I can test them on demo sets of Z3 compact to make sure it's not my phone.
I can only get replacement, not refunds.

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #53 of 82
Hi there,
Is there someone who compared the EX650 to the Yamaha EPH-100?
I am hesitating between the two.
Is there a real difference in the sound quality? What's about the comfort? Built quality?
Thanks
NS

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #55 of 82
No I don't really need one, I can change the volume on my mp3 player / cellphone.
And I will change my cellphone in few months for a different OS so I don't want to have a remote cause it will work with only one OS.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #56 of 82
Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer, I was referring to whether an in-line volume control would solve my hissing problem since it would increase the impedance.

I haven't tried the Yamaha so I can't comment on your request.
I do recommend the EX650 though. Great sound. Great build quality.
BTW an in-line volume control does not depend on OS, you could plug it into a laptop and it would work. It just increases electrical resistance.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #57 of 82
I'm looking for earbuds myself. Right now I have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms got them new off ebay for $170. There awesome but sometimes your ears do get hot. Does anyone know if there are any earbuds that can compare to the 770 pros? I mostly use them for gaming, and sometimes movies, music not so much on the PC. I'm looking to spend up to $150.00 

Thanks all.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #58 of 82
Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer, I was referring to whether an in-line volume control would solve my hissing problem since it would increase the impedance.

I haven't tried the Yamaha so I can't comment on your request.
I do recommend the EX650 though. Great sound. Great build quality.
BTW an in-line volume control does not depend on OS, you could plug it into a laptop and it would work. It just increases electrical resistance.

The hissing is caused by the phone. Obviously the sound is the result of an AC current; which must come from the phone

I also get it. The EX650's are prone of picking up such signals, or maybe their impedance is generating this phenomenon.

Anyway, I never found it bothering. An lineair impedance plug should fix your problem, or at least decrease the volume of the hissing. Though, you would need to use more juice to drive them and you would need to take the penalty on the sound quality for granted.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #59 of 82
Yes the hissing is due to current from the phone but because the impedance of the EX650 is so low that the current gets through. On other IEM'S this is not a problem cos the impedance is usually higher.

My phone is the Xperia Z3 Compact which is marketed as a high res audio device (not professional level ofc) with two TFA9890 DAC'S.
The hissing isn't so noticeable though.
Would Sq take a bit when using an in-line volume control?

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #60 of 82
Yes the hissing is due to current from the phone but because the impedance of the EX650 is so low that the current gets through. On other IEM'S this is not a problem cos the impedance is usually higher.

My phone is the Xperia Z3 Compact which is marketed as a high res audio device (not professional level ofc) with two TFA9890 DAC'S.
The hissing isn't so noticeable though.
Would Sq take a bit when using an in-line volume control?

I use these with an iPhone 6 which I guess offers higher quality audio and there is zero hissing through the Sony ex650. Their sound is crystal clear with an iPhone. Yes, audio quality usually takes a bit when using in line volume control...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back