New Sony 64 GB DAP: NW-A840
Sep 24, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #91 of 209
I think we may see the NW-A840 here, but it may have a different spec than the Japanese model.

The US model will likely support MP3, AAC, HE-AAC, and WMA audio formats and WMV and H.264 video formats. It will likely NOT come with headphones (likely as a cost-saving measure), since US buyers for such higher-end players tend to buy their own headphones. I don't think the US model will support the ATRAC audio format because ATRAC is not commonly used in the USA.

However, Sony could pull a fast one and offer FLAC lossless audio, Ogg Vorbis audio and Ogg Theora video support for the North American models (something some serious fans of portable media players want).

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #92 of 209
Quote:

It will likely NOT come with headphones

AFAIK all current NWZ models are coming with earphones. NWZ-A8xx are praised for their "great quality" IEMs.
Quote:

I don't think the US model will support the ATRAC audio format because ATRAC is not commonly used in the USA.

Previous generations of NW do support ATRAC but corresponding generations of NWZ do not.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #93 of 209
OH MAN!

It looks like this player is Japan-only
frown.gif
frown.gif

What a letdown: Sweet new Walkmans not for U.S. | MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #96 of 209
I bet the NWZ version will be soon available outside Japan, but actually, with its gapless support for Atrac, the NW might be even cooler. By the way, the news is awesome: finally one can buy a player feeling they aren't paying for unwanted broken features, and the capacity increase makes for an adequate answer to the new iPods.
In fact, buying from Japan through the numerous services mustn't be that difficult, is it?
biggrin.gif

By the way, Fender, how do you like the X player over the Kenwood HD60GD9? I often thought about reacquiring a Kenwood but didn't really want to have anything more to do with HD-based players, with short battery life and looking like bricks.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #97 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, Fender, how do you like the X player over the Kenwood HD60GD9? I often thought about reacquiring a Kenwood but didn't really want to have anything more to do with HD-based players, with short battery life and looking like bricks.

Haven't used the Kenwood since I got the X. I like the Kenwood a lot - good sound. I prefer the Sony sound signature a bit more, but both are excellent players. The HD60GD9EC (I got the ltd. edition one) is worth the money; I don't regret buying it. I will be selling it when I get the chance since I don't need two DAPs and I'm just fine with the X at the moment. If I wind up going to Japan in December for work, I may be tempted by the A847.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #99 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD60GD9EC is worth for money?? you`re not kidding right?? i think it is one of the most expensive dap?? so overall it is better than x1k?

I paid I think ~ $600 each for both the X1060 (limited black ice) and the HD60GD9EC. I never said it was better or worse, it's different and boils down to preferences. I have always liked Sony's sound signature, but once they removed ATRAC from their US DAPs, I stopped looking at them. The Vaio Pocket I owned a long time ago is still my favorite DAP that I've had; it was a bit ahead of its time and suffered a bit because of it.

When I bought the HD60GD9EC, I was looking for a higher capacity DAP with some of the best SQ, and it is that. It's very good, but to say one is better than the other is totally subjective.

I'd certainly say the HD60GD9EC is much more neutral, which is good for some, bad for others. In a way, it's like comparing IEMs. When you hit a certain price point you know it's basically going to sound good, but does it sound good TO YOU.

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #100 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we may see the NW-A840 here, but it may have a different spec than the Japanese model.

The US model will likely support MP3, AAC, HE-AAC, and WMA audio formats and WMV and H.264 video formats. It will likely NOT come with headphones (likely as a cost-saving measure), since US buyers for such higher-end players tend to buy their own headphones. I don't think the US model will support the ATRAC audio format because ATRAC is not commonly used in the USA.

However, Sony could pull a fast one and offer FLAC lossless audio, Ogg Vorbis audio and Ogg Theora video support for the North American models (something some serious fans of portable media players want).

I don't mean to be rude, so let me apologize in advance...

Come on guys, you folks are much more schooled regarding this type of equipment and therefore certainly know that Sony will never (99% sure) support FLAC or Ogg Vorbis. It simply isn't going to happen, so why do folks keep bringing this idea up? We have about as much chance of getting drag/drop ATRAC support here in the West.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #101 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by joplin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(It can directly record from CD/MD through WM-Port.)
Does this mean that I can record music from my CD player/MD player to the Sony A847?

Thanks
Greg Joplin

During 2007 and 2008 Sony has removed this feature from all their overseas (NWZ) models. Only the Japanese A/S series have it.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #102 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to be rude, so let me apologize in advance...

Come on guys, you folks are much more schooled regarding this type of equipment and therefore certainly know that Sony will never (99% sure) support FLAC or Ogg Vorbis. It simply isn't going to happen, so why do folks keep bringing this idea up? We have about as much chance of getting drag/drop ATRAC support here in the West.

It could simply be wishful thinking. Sony has a tendency to take away features that were available with previous models, not add anything
devil_face.gif

If they can't even implement a simple on-the-fly playlist, or direct deletion from the player on newer (and more expensive models).... then the odds of lossless support is even more of a fantasy!

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #103 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they can't even implement a simple on-the-fly playlist, or direct deletion from the player on newer (and more expensive models).... then the odds of lossless support is even more of a fantasy!

Not totally true on the deletion part. You can delete videos at least on the Japanese X1060 ... not music, tho. So Sony basically has the code to do it.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #104 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not totally true on the deletion part. You can delete videos at least on the Japanese X1060 ... not music, tho. So Sony basically has the code to do it.

Oops, sorry. Yes, it can delete video. I don't use it for video so I forgot about that. But I'm pretty sure the majority of owners would use it primarily as a music player, so it would be more useful to be able to delete audio from it.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #105 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, sorry. Yes, it can delete video. I don't use it for video so I forgot about that. But I'm pretty sure the majority of owners would use it primarily as a music player, so it would be more useful to be able to delete audio from it.

It's mainly a music player for me, but I do use it for some video. I like the idea of being able to delete a large movie when done, but I've never wanted to delete songs or albums from a player using the player itself (that goes back even to my old Rio Karma).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back