New Sony 64 GB DAP: NW-A840
Sep 19, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #61 of 209
well this would be THE player to get if there was an easier way to convert the flacs to atrac al.....converting the flacs to wavs and then renaming then and then mounting the cue sheets and finally transfering then 1 by 1 to the player is just way too much work. if someone has a way to do them as a batch that would be god send....( or sony should take the initiate!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #62 of 209
Convert from flac to wma then sonicstage would convert them to atrac and preserve the names. Himdrender might be helpful to batch I dunno. Marc the author might mod it to do cue files. Why do you need cue files?

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #64 of 209
Quote:

converting the flacs to wavs and then renaming then and then mounting the cue sheets and finally transfering then 1 by 1 to the player is just way too much work.

You can also convert .flac+.cue into a separate .wavs for each track and then load all the tracks you need into the SS and convert them all into ATRAC lossless. However, after that you will need to re-organize all this music in SS; and, with my way of mounting .cues as CDs it will be organized automatically.

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #65 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wow, this thing looks nice. Any word on the price?

In Japan it costs about $440. American dollars that is. :wink:

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #66 of 209
OK guys, where's the best place/website to import a Sony DAP like this into the UK - for the cheapest price? Also, won't it be a UI in Japanese only, or do Japanese-released Sonys always have an English language UI aswell?

Anyone know if Sony have released the SNR of the X-Series yet? Cowon's S9 has an SNR of 95dB. I'm seriously tempted to abandon Sony DAPs unless they start cleaning up the SNR. Maybe someone can give me an insight into how clean the X-Series is with the S-Master! The very fact that Sony avoid releasing SNR figures -and Sonys being notorious for being hissy (and to me, my 829 is a little muddy sounding no matter how much I twiddle with the hack-settings)- indicates to me they have something to hide. Cowon's S9 must be very clean sounding with an SNR of 95dB. I read on a US website, which carried out independant tests on previous Sony DAPs, that the SNR on the NW-A808 was in the low 80s - BAD!

Also, anyone know if there's a hack for the X-Series similar to the NWZ-A820 Series, where we can alter the bass, treble and Khz? This hack improved things a tad for me on my 829.

Mike

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #69 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiny382005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, won't it be a UI in Japanese only, or do Japanese-released Sonys always have an English language UI aswell?

Already asked and answered in this thread and in other places. All Sony DAPs made for the Japanese market have no English menus - only Japanese. All the stuff is in the same place and it's pretty intuitive anyway. If you are scared of Japanese only menus, don't get a Japanese player but remember that all Sony DAPs outside the US don't have gapless or ATRAC support. And as of now, this one hasn't been announced to be released elsewhere.

SonicStage is your only way to encode into ATRAC, and you can even use older versions to do it. As of the X series (and I assume the new A), you can drag and drop even ATRAC files so you technically wouldn't need SS to manage the player.

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #70 of 209
Quote:

As of the X series (and I assume the new A), you can drag and drop even ATRAC files

Are you saying that player shows as a removable disk drive and i can just drag&drop my files on it and it will play that files?
NW-HD5 plays only files uploaded through the SS, it won't show the files that are not present in SS-maintained database.
Does the X supporttags-navigation (i.e. genre->artist->album)? If yes, then how does this tags database updates? From what i have heard, japanese players do not support MTP, so, if SS wouldn't do it, it should do the player itself on startup, and that should be a very long procedure...

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #71 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that player shows as a removable disk drive and i can just drag&drop my files on it and it will play that files?
NW-HD5 plays only files uploaded through the SS, it won't show the files that are not present in SS-maintained database.
Does the X supporttags-navigation (i.e. genre->artist->album)? If yes, then how does this tags database updates? From what i have heard, japanese players do not support MTP, so, if SS wouldn't do it, it should do the player itself on startup, and that should be a very long procedure...

Well, I don't think I stuttered. Considering I *own* the X, I think I know what I'm talking about. And if you look at the video for the A, it shows both SS and drag and drop. So it appears it follows in the X's footsteps.

The X is just a DAP. So if a file's got tags, it reads it. I'm not really sure what you're not comprehending here.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #72 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X is just a DAP. So if a file's got tags, it reads it. I'm not really sure what you're not comprehending here.

Obviously hes never had a drag and drop player before.

It like the difference between the A808 and the A818.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #73 of 209
Quote:

Well, I don't think I stuttered.

I don't arguing with you, i've just asked a question
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The X is just a DAP. So if a file's got tags, it reads it.

But what about navigation by tags?
Quote:

Obviously hes never had a drag and drop player before.

Currently i'm using rockboxed ipod video, it is drag&drop player. However, tags navigation is available on it only if i will manually run "build database" in menu, and this is a very long process. If i will not run this "build database" after connecting to PC, there would be no tags navigation for a newly uploaded files.
With non-drag-and-drop DAPs (and MTP ones) database building occurs on the PC, and it also takes some time, but not as long as on the ipod (because PC CPU is more powerful than ipod's CPU).
I was wondering if X supports tags navigation, and if it does, how exactly it is implemented.

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #74 of 209
If the process requires a manual intervention (IMO) drag and drop is not fully implemented. You should drag files disconnect and nothing else. Most players simply rebuild their internal database automatically once disconnected (if they use tags). Which is how it should be. (IMO). I'd be almost certain the X works like this. The A818 certainly does, whereas the A808 didn't.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #75 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't arguing with you, i've just asked a question
smily_headphones1.gif

But what about navigation by tags?

Currently i'm using rockboxed ipod video, it is drag&drop player. However, tags navigation is available on it only if i will manually run "build database" in menu, and this is a very long process. If i will not run this "build database" after connecting to PC, there would be no tags navigation for a newly uploaded files.
With non-drag-and-drop DAPs (and MTP ones) database building occurs on the PC, and it also takes some time, but not as long as on the ipod (because PC CPU is more powerful than ipod's CPU).
I was wondering if X supports tags navigation, and if it does, how exactly it is implemented.

Well, the Sony rebuilds its database when you disconnect it from your computer. I've never had to run a rebuild process. So it works as it should. Even my old Vaio Pocket, NW-HD3, and NW-HD5 did that ... and those were not drag and drop players. Sony has always done it that way.

My X is not in front of me, but you can clearly see in the manual (which you could have searched for) how you can navigate on p. 42:
Sony eSupport - NWZ-X1061FBSMP - Model Home
Song
Album
Artist
Genre
Release Year
Playlists
Folder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back