New Sony 64 GB DAP: NW-A840
Sep 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #16 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Shigzeo, but WAV/PCM is very big, about 3 times the size of FLAC

I've never seen efficiency of FLAC more than 50%; and usually it is about 25-35%. On what music are you getting 70%?
Quote:

But suppose ATRAC would be supported, many of us got FLAC-libraries, would it be possible to convert those the ATRAC?

The only less or more time-efficient method i know is to decode all your FLACs to WAV, instal Daemon Tools (there is a freeware version), and mount your cuesheets (with filename replaced from xxx.flac to xxx.wav) into a virtual drive, so SonicStage will think a CD with that music is inserted, and will rip it. You can configure SonicStage so that it will rip music automatically when new CD is inserted and information about this CD is found in CDDB.
After that, you will get an ATRAC copies of all your FLACs, with the less or more proper tags.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #17 of 209
I'll miss the Youtube & Slacker apps. Won't miss the web browser.
But yeah, it really is spankin gorgeous.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you think that it supports ATRAC?
I believe that sony dropped atrac3+ support in all of their players somewhere in 2007...

Not in Japan.

About the FLAC, you're probably right.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 209
Quote:

Not in Japan.

Wow, that's great... however, i'm confused with a battery life of that NW-A840. I believe that A-series battery life is about 40 hours for music, why A840 battery life is so low?
Quote:

About the FLAC, you're probably right.

BTW, currently it takes about a 3 minutes to encode one .WAV album into atrac3plus; however, there is no batch conversion available (every 3 minutes i should see at the sonicstage and make sure importing is finished, and then mount another cuesheet into daemontools by hands); also, there is a need of conversion of all flacs into WAV and editing cuesheets (but it can be done automatically in batch).

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #21 of 209
as much as I love the Sony Walkman, my major annoyance with them (the flash based) were the god awful transfer times.

Fix that, and have it out well before apple ever thinks about upping the nano's capacity, while being cheaper, and Sony might make a profit.

if the NWZs are anything over $250, they will fail.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #22 of 209
Fantastic news. I'm liking everything about it so far. If this ever makes it the US I may have to pick one up. I did, however, just buy 64gb touch, so I MAY wait for an Android based walkman...hopefully with a 128gb capacity.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkpy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as much as I love the Sony Walkman, my major annoyance with them (the flash based) were the god awful transfer times.

Fix that, and have it out well before apple ever thinks about upping the nano's capacity, while being cheaper, and Sony might make a profit.

if the NWZs are anything over $250, they will fail.

I thought only the X had the slow transfer speeds. My A728 transfers music a lot faster than the X did.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #24 of 209
Quote:

I believe that sony dropped atrac3+ support in all of their players somewhere in 2007...

the article says it supports atrac, that is why.

as for flac, i know that it is smaller. but mp3 can also be used losslessly now. if the sony properly plays mp3 files, you can get mp3hd to work on it - who knows.

flac, however, will never be supported by any sony/apple/microsoft oem setup. only if their firmwares are cracked.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantastic news. I'm liking everything about it so far. If this ever makes it the US I may have to pick one up. I did, however, just buy 64gb touch, so I MAY wait for an Android based walkman...hopefully with a 128gb capacity.
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought only the X had the slow transfer speeds. My A728 transfers music a lot faster than the X did.

I don't know, my A829 was dreadfully slow compared to my iPod Nano 16GB and 5G 30G iPod, and even my old NW-HD5. I'm heavily biased towards Sony, but the slow transfer times are BRUTAL.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #26 of 209
Quote:

All Sony players in Japan still support ATRAC. It's the rest of the world that does not. I'm using SonicStage V (Japanese) with my NW-X1060 (Japan, not the NWZ version here in the US).

And yes, the Japanese only players do not have English menus. It's not hard to figure stuff out - it's in the same place as the ones here.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #27 of 209
Quote:

the Japanese only players do not have English menus

There is no english menu at all?
That is strange; keitais (e.g. SH-01A and SH906i) do support english; why the portable players do not?

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #28 of 209
Quote:

There is no english menu at all?
That is strange; keitais (e.g. SH-01A and SH906i) do support english; why the portable players do not?

It's been that way since they dropped ATRAC support outside of Japan. It's not strange at all. They are essentially Japanese exclusive players with unique firmware. Putting English in means they need to support SonicStage outside of Japan and more development costs.

You can have English tags on your music and that's just fine.

The phones you mention are Sharp, not Sony.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #30 of 209
Here are all the accessories for the A840:
NW-A847/V | ƒ|[ƒ^ƒuƒ‹ƒI[ƒfƒBƒIƒvƒŒ[ƒ„[ WALKMAN gƒEƒH[ƒNƒ}ƒ“h | ƒ\ƒj[

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this Sony looks gorgeous

glad I sent back my X-series now - no touchscreen is a plus IMO - and the form factor is superb

I like the X series and use the touchscreen/coverflow-esque feature to select albums. But beyond that, the touchscreen really isn't necessary. The big pluses to me are the lack of Wifi and any web stuff. I never use those features on my X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back