New Sony 64 GB DAP: NW-A840
Mar 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #196 of 209
Well, I've added a number of hours of the naked A845 and a pair of earphones: Earsonics SM3 and I can say sufficiently that I am both annoyed and in love.

The sound signature is warm and smooth as is often the case with Sony DAP's, but the clicking and hiss are both annoying. I DO prefer to use a LOD and amp. I have NOT yet had the chance to compare the LOD and amp to 3,5 mm and amp in any detail. I will do this soon.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #197 of 209
Okay, so I've been using it with and without LOD/amp and have tested it pretty well from both the HPO - 3,5 mm cable to iBasso T3D and from LOD to iBasso T3D and found some issues and securities.

Overall issues: no player this expensive, and especially one which advertises SQ and S-Master should have these problems. It isn't as bad as AMP3, but it is a lot less clear than I'd expected. The X is similar, but somehow, I just expected more.

The midrange is elevated over other frequencies when driving headphones because BOTH treble and BASS roll off. The 'clarity' which people have chatted about is mainly this default loss of definition in both extremes.

I've a suite of RMAA scores just for reference here. Currently, my internet is pretty slow, uploading files at about 1,2 kbps, and I had one test failure, so I will upload loaded tests tomorrow.

Suffice to say: this isn't a high-performance player. In fact, I'd probably take my A828 over it in terms of faithful reproduction of the sound wave. The same goes for the X (in a similar league as the A845), but at least it doesn't suffer clicking artefacts and hiss is a smidgeon less.

That isn't to say listening isn't fun, it's just that Sony sound isn't about SQ as it pertains to the actual music you are listening to. It is dynamically compressed, rolled off, hissy, but has a decent EQ.

As I will show tomorrow, its Line Out isn't implemented very well either, but at least using it with an amp gets rid of certain distortion otherwise present in the signal. That and the clicking is gone!

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #198 of 209
I am thinking to buy a NW-A845 or NWZ-S745. But I am wondering if any of these players support on the go / on the fly / dynamic playlist (whichever term is appropriate). As this is a very important feature for me, would anyone please clarify the fact for me? One more thing, are the supplied buds the same for these two models?

I am new here, so pardon my clumsy language.

May 5, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #201 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound signature is warm and smooth as is often the case with Sony DAP's, but the clicking and hiss are both annoying.

Listened to my 845 today and for the very first time heard some clicking. On a closer look I discovered that the headphone plug was maybe 1mm short of being fully inserted. Pushed it in and the clicking was gone. Pulled it out a bit and the clicking started again. So maybe those who hear clicking, even though their plug is fully inserted, have got a faulty headphone jack.
frown.gif

May 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #202 of 209
Same problem happens with my Sansa Fuze. When it happens, I get no sound other then the clicking. Loose jack
frown.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #205 of 209
Hello guys, I want to ask if there is any way for me to use the FM radio in my Japanese A847 outside Japan?

Also, my album art is not showing on some tracks while some do. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #206 of 209
As far as the album rat, it may depend on whether the picture is using progressive encoding or not, I think.
Progressive isn't supported by some players, it seems.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #207 of 209

Quote:
As far as the album rat, it may depend on whether the picture is using progressive encoding or not, I think.
Progressive isn't supported by some players, it seems.

Thanks for that, I'll try to look into that or try to re-tag some files if ever that works.

Also, is there any way to attenuate hiss? I've had it on my hd-1 and it is lesser on the A847 but sometimes I can't help but notice it being there.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #208 of 209
Is the hiss very obvious at any time?
Get less sensitive headphones?  Small impedance adapter?
Or use an amp with the line-out.  There are various ways of dealing with the noise floor.  Even my J3 hisses with all of my earphones and my HD25, but it is only noticeable in a very quiet environment.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #209 of 209
I hear it when there are parts of a song where it goes softer but only in a quiet room.

What's a good impedance adapter though? I'm not sold on using an amp as of yet.

Can you recommend any iems? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back