New Shure RMCE-BT2 (tested with SE535)
Aug 29, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #61 of 117
Thanks for your replies, I finally think I managed to reset the unit and for the last 30 minutes it seems to be working properly. I didn’t realise it had to be plugged into a charge cable for a reset. I heard 3 low tone beeps that I haven’t heard before so I assume this confirms a reset.
I’ll repost if it doesn’t solve the problem but so far it seems good. Thanks again!

Connection worked properly for the rest of the day, but after connecting this morning, the problem is back again. I’ll try another reset when I get home and see if it fixes it again. If this keeps happening I’ll have to exchange them.

Aug 29, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #62 of 117
Connection worked properly for the rest of the day, but after connecting this morning, the problem is back again. I’ll try another reset when I get home and see if it fixes it again. If this keeps happening I’ll have to exchange them.

You should totally exchange them. I've had the BT2 for 8 months and I think it hiccuped like once, maybe twice.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #63 of 117
FYI - Looks like the RMCE-BT2 is on sale for $120 at a few places online just picked one up on Amazon.

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #64 of 117
Thus far with my 846's , the BT2 is rock solid.
However:
Was finally able to get apt x regular to stay as the default selection, or at least to not reverting.
However:
With all selections are towards audio quality, not battery life {gotta love power banks}. the quality is virtually identical from what I can hear. but it's like there's a limiter installed that knocks off the volume.

Has any other BT2 user noticed a volume discrepancy, say 10 to 20% volume loss vs wired?
I played a bit in dev options with BT stream quality, nothing helped.

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #65 of 117
Thus far with my 846's , the BT2 is rock solid.
However:
Was finally able to get apt x regular to stay as the default selection, or at least to not reverting.
However:
With all selections are towards audio quality, not battery life {gotta love power banks}. the quality is virtually identical from what I can hear. but it's like there's a limiter installed that knocks off the volume.

Has any other BT2 user noticed a volume discrepancy, say 10 to 20% volume loss vs wired?
I played a bit in dev options with BT stream quality, nothing helped.
Sorry but the volume isn't going to be the same as wired. The signal is amplified by the BT2 versus your player or phone. Each device has their own specs and won't come out as the same volume even for the same IEM/Headphone.

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #66 of 117
You should totally exchange them. I've had the BT2 for 8 months and I think it hiccuped like once, maybe twice.

Agree, I sent them back last week and should have the replacement early next week. Looking forward to having a ‘proper’ set

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #67 of 117
Sorry but the volume isn't going to be the same as wired. The signal is amplified by the BT2 versus your player or phone. Each device has their own specs and won't come out as the same volume even for the same IEM/Headphone.

I suspected as much. As I said, It's a minor quibble, It's been a great add on.
Thanks for the response.

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #68 of 117
I received the BT2 yesterday and have been using it with my SE425s in the office. I have to say, I am really enjoying the IEMs with this new cable right now. Sounds great and I have not noticed any hiss/noise. I was previously using the SE425s in the office with an old Mee Audio BTX1 cable which was starting to fall apart (RMCE-BT2 is a clear improvement and worth the extra cost to me). Battery life seems great so far. I have been using this for the last 2-3 hours and battery is down to 80% so this should get me through a full work day, No connection issues so far (knock on wood) except when I stray too far away from my phone.

As for the previous comments on volume, I can't speak to wired volume since it has been a while since I have used these IEMs wired but the volume seems to get pretty loud and I have been listening at 40-50% volume.

Still trying to figure out how to wear these without the battery/amp that dangles at the end getting in the way and I really need to get a phone with aptXHD now...

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #69 of 117
Still trying to figure out how to wear these without the battery/amp that dangles at the end getting in the way and I really need to get a phone with aptXHD now...

Most Android phones can do it (baked into the Android OS now), with the exception being Samsung as of late. For some reason in their latest phones they disabled aptX HD. Annoying.

I tuck the battery/amp unit under my shirt, so it doesn't look dorky walking around. Doesn't bug me.

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #71 of 117
I clip to my shirt collar and it pretty much hides.
I don't do the clip because it's very tight. Just put it into polo shirt or shirt opening. Good enough. Battery life is solid. Only complaint is occasional interference, but that's just a bluetooth thing it seems.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #72 of 117
I don't do the clip because it's very tight. Just put it into polo shirt or shirt opening. Good enough. Battery life is solid. Only complaint is occasional interference, but that's just a bluetooth thing it seems.

OMG...it must be me, surely I can’t have got 2 faulty BT2s in a row?

I received the replacement set this afternoon, put on the charger and they were fully charged within about 10 minutes, so onto the test. Once connected, they seemed ok for a few minutes, then the dropouts started. The bluetooth range is VERY short, max of about 2 metres with nothing between the two devices. If I put the receiver inside my cotton shirt, the range seems to be less than one metre.
So I reset the BT2 and it seemed a little better for a few minutes then the dropouts started again with a clear range of about 1 metre, but most of the time not too bad for 20 minutes.
I turned everything off while I had dinner, then when I powered up and reconnected, the scrambled incoherent stuff started and went on for at least 30 sconds before coming good. That only lasted for a couple of minutes before they said goodbye and switched themselves off...with full battery. once powered up again, just scrambled audio for 30 seconds before becoming coherent, but dropping in and out every few seconds...

I thought my Jaybird X3s were rubbish, but they are incredibly better than these as far as connecting goes, obviously audio quality is not even close though.

Is this normal behaviour for the Shure BT2? Is the range really only about 1 to 2 metres clear line of sight ( while stationary sitting at a desk)? Is it normal to get scrambled music now and then and for them to randomly shutdown with more than 8 hours battery life?

Very frustrating...I’ll try another reset, is there a way to reinstall the firmware?

thanks...rant over lol

Sep 17, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #73 of 117
Is this normal behaviour for the Shure BT2? Is the range really only about 1 to 2 metres clear line of sight ( while stationary sitting at a desk)? Is it normal to get scrambled music now and then and for them to randomly shutdown with more than 8 hours battery life?

When walking I would say yes but when sitting at my desk with my phone on my desk and the BT2 clipped to my collar I have no issues whatsoever.

It is worth experimenting with codecs, AAC or normal APT (Not APX-HD) will give a connection that shouldn't drop out as much, but I still get very occasional drop-outs whatever codec I use. I would say less that one per half hour walk though, so I can live with that.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #74 of 117

I received the replacement set this afternoon, put on the charger and they were fully charged within about 10 minutes, so onto the test. Once connected, they seemed ok for a few minutes, then the dropouts started. The bluetooth range is VERY short, max of about 2 metres with nothing between the two devices. If I put the receiver inside my cotton shirt, the range seems to be less than one metre.
So I reset the BT2 and it seemed a little better for a few minutes then the dropouts started again with a clear range of about 1 metre, but most of the time not too bad for 20 minutes.
I turned everything off while I had dinner, then when I powered up and reconnected, the scrambled incoherent stuff started and went on for at least 30 sconds before coming good. That only lasted for a couple of minutes before they said goodbye and switched themselves off...with full battery. once powered up again, just scrambled audio for 30 seconds before becoming coherent, but dropping in and out every few seconds...

I thought my Jaybird X3s were rubbish, but they are incredibly better than these as far as connecting goes, obviously audio quality is not even close though.

Very frustrating...I’ll try another reset, is there a way to reinstall the firmware?

thanks...rant over lol

It is worth experimenting with codecs, AAC or normal APT (Not APX-HD) will give a connection that shouldn't drop out as much, but I still get very occasional drop-outs whatever codec I use. I would say less that one per half hour walk though, so I can live with that.

Agree with the above post. If you have not done so already, maybe try experimenting with the codecs to see if the issue can be isolated. I primarily use my BT2 in the office (in midtown NY) with a Samsung Galaxy S9 from which I stream using the aptX codec since the S9 does not support aptX HD. I can walk to the pantry and usually get a small skip or two right when I get to the coffee maker, which is about 25 feet away from my desk with no direct line of sight and lots of computers, TVs, and other electronics everywhere. I have just come to accept small skips when it comes to bluetooth as this also happens with my true wireless buds (to varying degrees) while simply standing still on the train platform.

Interestingly,what you describe reminds me of my ES100, which I use at home to listen to music in bed. I noticed that when playing music at the much higher bitrate on my Galaxy S9 using LDAC, I get skips even with the phone just lying on the nightstand 3 feet away. The skipping gets really bad if I inadvertently put my hand on top of the ES100 (think badly scratched CD).

I have not had any issues with the BT2 shutting down during playback, although I have only had the BT2 for a few days now. Battery life has been great. I used them for most of the day yesterday and forgot to charge them overnight but the battery is still over 4 hours according to the voice prompt and 80% according to my phone. I usually listen at about 30% - 40% volume.

Alternatively, it could just be a bad batch/production run. I once had something similar happen to me with the Denon HEOS 1 Go Pack (which is an external battery for the wifi speaker) where both the original and the replacement units I received would not hold a charge at all so I don't think it is impossible that you got bad units twice in a row.

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #75 of 117

thanks...rant over lol
Ouch. This shouldn't be a firmware thing. Connection is a pretty basic necessity. Otherwise a lot of other people would be complaining of the same thing and they'd be doing a mass recall. I get garbled audio only when I get interference. The range isn't amazing like @TK33 I only walk about 30 feet to the break room. It starts cutting out for sure. Theoretical distance means nothing. 1 meter is nothing though. No I have never had auto shutoff unless I exhausted the battery. You had mentioned that it doesn't work well on your Kann Cube. Have you tried tweaking the settings there? Perhaps contact support about it. I'd also do some more testing with your iPhone just to be sure it's not another bad unit, or if the connection issues persist for both devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back