New Shure RMCE-BT2 (tested with SE535)
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #76 of 117
Thanks for the comments and ideas, I have no idea how to try different codecs and I can’t see any way to adjust the connection settings on the Cube, it doesn’t seem to offer anything except bluetooth on or off lol.
After some testing today, the problem seems to be restricted to connection with the Kann Cube which is aptX HD. Using the iPhone 8+, while walking the dogs, the connection was rock solid without any drop outs or interference. I’m don’t know what the connection or codec is with the phone, but its not aptX HD and its not hard to pick the difference in clarity, but its not bad and with the lack of problems its much less hassle to listen to. I haven’t tested the range, but I’m sure it would be much better than the 500mm to 1m range with the Cube. So I think you’re all correct in that its related to the HD type of connection which kind of defeats the purpose of having this device unfortunately.
it would be helpful to find out how to connect to the Cube without HD as this would probably confirm that HD is the problem. I’ll try posting in the Cube thread to see if the AK guys can help.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #77 of 117
I would say it's AptXHD with the Kann Cube that's giving problems. Other users have been OK with the AptX HD. I have the S9+ which sadly does not have AptX HD just AptX, and the Shure doesn't support LDAC. Oh well.

iPhone 8 only supports AAC and SBC. AAC seems to be similar to AptX. Cube Profile: A2DP, AVRCP, aptX™HD (<-not working well)
Shure: aptX audio, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, AAC and SBC
So it seems your best option is AAC.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #78 of 117
Thanks vnmslssrbms, I agree, still its strange that the Shure unit has just shut down a few times...the music just stops and the voice says good bye lol even with full battery. Another thing I noticed is that once they connect to the iPhone the voice confirms connection, this doesn’t happen with the Cube, ie no voice confirmation, maybe because its not recognising a proper connection?
I just posted in the Cube thread to see if any other Cube users have this problem. I see that the Cube mentions supporting those 3 connection protocols, but I don’t know how to switch between them, it might be an auto connection thing.

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #79 of 117
Thanks vnmslssrbms, I agree, still its strange that the Shure unit has just shut down a few times...the music just stops and the voice says good bye lol even with full battery. Another thing I noticed is that once they connect to the iPhone the voice confirms connection, this doesn’t happen with the Cube, ie no voice confirmation, maybe because its not recognising a proper connection?
I just posted in the Cube thread to see if any other Cube users have this problem. I see that the Cube mentions supporting those 3 connection protocols, but I don’t know how to switch between them, it might be an auto connection thing.

Well, with a little help I’ve stumbled upon the ‘obvious’ cause of the problem...the leather case on the Cube. Once its removed the BT range is great even at about 8 metres, also wifi is greatly improved too. I haven’t had the Shure unit shutdown while connected this way, hopefully that was just because it was getting frustrated, just have to wait and see if it happens again.
I would’ve thought that the AK guys would’ve picked this sort of thing up in testing, maybe they did, who knows. You don’t have to use a case, but it probably should come with a caveat that wifi and bluetooth range are greatly affected when using the expensive but beautiful case.
I’ve heard a couple of other Cube owners have wifi issues for this reason too, but as all the AK dap models have cases made from similar materials, I wouldn’t be surprised if all the dap models have this problem...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #80 of 117
Well, with a little help I’ve stumbled upon the ‘obvious’ cause of the problem...the leather case on the Cube. Once its removed the BT range is great even at about 8 metres, also wifi is greatly improved too. I haven’t had the Shure unit shutdown while connected this way, hopefully that was just because it was getting frustrated, just have to wait and see if it happens again.
I would’ve thought that the AK guys would’ve picked this sort of thing up in testing, maybe they did, who knows. You don’t have to use a case, but it probably should come with a caveat that wifi and bluetooth range are greatly affected when using the expensive but beautiful case.
I’ve heard a couple of other Cube owners have wifi issues for this reason too, but as all the AK dap models have cases made from similar materials, I wouldn’t be surprised if all the dap models have this problem...

Wow, that's crazy

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #81 of 117
Hi everyone.

I got BT1 and definitely not satisfied with the call quality. People hear me like in a far distance and not clearly.

I’m considering to buy the bt2 but from all reviews I read, I’ve never seen anyone mentioning how the clarity of calls has been improved. Can someone tell me if the microphone is better or the same?

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #82 of 117
I have BT2 but can’t compare with BT1. I had dramas with connection to my dap which are now fixed, but no problem with iphone 8 - music and calls experience has been very good for me.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #83 of 117
Has anyone tried pairing the BT2 with the newer Sony IEMs like the M9 or Z1R?

They have a recessed MMCX port and wondering if it will fit as I do not have access to a demo BT2. Thanks!

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #84 of 117
If you have another mmcx cable (after market or from a set other than the Sonys) and it clicks into place and works on the Sony, then the BT2 cable will also.work. I've used the the BT2 with Xelentos, Tin P1, modded IE800, SE846 and others with no problem.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #85 of 117
I have BT2 but can’t compare with BT1. I had dramas with connection to my dap which are now fixed, but no problem with iphone 8 - music and calls experience has been very good for me.
I don't have great experiences with the call quality, but then I can't even find the microphone. Any idea where it is? Hidden underneath a button?

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #86 of 117
Picked up the BT-2 and the connection is pretty stable. However I can't seem to get it to output at a loud enough volume. Have tried connecting to PC via Apt-X and via mobile via AAC. I get approximately 60% of the volume I'm used to when on wired.

Running the IER-M9, which is a 20 ohms IEM with a sensitivity of 103dB/mW, fairly efficient. Wondering if there any way to increase the maximum volume via firmware update?

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #87 of 117
Picked up the BT-2 and the connection is pretty stable. However I can't seem to get it to output at a loud enough volume. Have tried connecting to PC via Apt-X and via mobile via AAC. I get approximately 60% of the volume I'm used to when on wired.

Running the IER-M9, which is a 20 ohms IEM with a sensitivity of 103dB/mW, fairly efficient. Wondering if there any way to increase the maximum volume via firmware update?
I have a feeling you would probably need to go with a unit that gives you more power, like an ES100 or BTR5. It's pretty normal to get less power output since this is a bluetooth device with a pretty small battery vs anything else you would have been using like a phone or a dedicated source or player. Always sacrificing for a little portability. One of these days...

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #88 of 117

I agree with @vnmslsrbms I'm using my BT2 either with SE846 or IT01s. Which have sensitivities of 114 and 109 respectively. Both get more than loud enough but the IER-M9 @ 103dB/mW may well not be sensitive enough, the usual 3dB = double the volume will apply with sensitivity numbers as its a logarithmic scale.

So then I also tried the Shure BT-2 with my Tin Hifi P1 which is the least sensitive IEM I own @ 96dB/mW. At full volume its around my normal listening volume, which is obviously a fair bit quieter than you require but in this case there is no headroom to go any louder.

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #89 of 117
Hi wondering how you fixed any issues with kann cube and bt2.

i recently bought both and have been using them together for the first time and having issues.

bt2 with iphone 8 plus has no issues.

but with kc issues pop up.
I am using a dignis case.

issues become more prevalent if:

* the b2t is not facing the kc (eg i turn around);
* I hold the kc in my left hand whilst my arm is hanging down. If my arm is half bent (across my chest) or the kc is sitting on a chair an arms length away there is minimal issues. I do have an apple watch on my left arm so maybe that is the culprit on that one - less issues when kc is sitting on my right side

i will also try the sony xm3 with the kc and also try the bt2 with the kc wearing no leather case and/ or me wearing no watch

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #90 of 117
Your iPhone will be using the AAC codec.

The Kann Cube may default to Aptx-HD which I believe it has. Aptx-HD uses a higher bit-rate and is more sensitive to Bluetooth transmission issues.

Does the Cube allow you to change codecs, from "best quality" to "most stable"? If it does try selecting most stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back