New Shure RMCE-BT2 (tested with SE535)
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #91 of 117
Your iPhone will be using the AAC codec.

The Kann Cube may default to Aptx-HD which I believe it has. Aptx-HD uses a higher bit-rate and is more sensitive to Bluetooth transmission issues.

Does the Cube allow you to change codecs, from "best quality" to "most stable"? If it does try selecting most stable.
I couldn’t fond a way to change codecs.
It was showing the kc was outputing aptxhd

I haven’t tried my sony xm3 yet to compare

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #92 of 117
I couldn’t fond a way to change codecs.
It was showing the kc was outputing aptxhd

I haven’t tried my sony xm3 yet to compare

I don't have a KC to test this but most Android devices have an option in the Bluetooth settings. It won't say APX or AAC it will be "Most stable" or "best quality" or something like that.

Try your Sony. Also for best control of the Bluetooth codec used its better to enable Developer settings and then choose the codec in there. It gives full control of many Bluetooth audio settings not just codec too.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #93 of 117
Hey guys,

I just picked up a BT2 and I'm wondering if I got a counterfeit.

These are my issues:

1) on my phone (pixel2xl) when I use my seenheiser momentum headphones I can turn APTX on and off via a toggle in Bluetooth settings. When connected to the BT2 the option isn't there, which I think might mean the dongle doesn't have the relevant chip inside.

2) the rubber "door" covering the USB connector doesn't fit right.

3) the voice that says "power on", etc is low quality. If you turn Bluetooth off while using the earphones it says that the device is "disconnect" not "disconnected"

What do you think? Did I buy a fake?

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #95 of 117
I wouldn't have thought there are any fakes of these available. Do you have any photos of the box that's one area where there are sometimes differences.

Where did you buy it? If you contact Shure they will be able to confirm if its genuine.
Thanks for the reply, I bought it on eBay. The listing (100% positive reviews) had a number to sell and said they were ex display, what arrived was unopened and brand new. It was £85, Amazon charge £125.

All the packaging looks great, imo. Looks just like other pictures that I've seen. I can photograph it though.

Shouldn't the APTX toggle be there for this like it is on my Sennheiser headphones?

I contacted Shure and they said the only way to tell would be to send it in to them. I'd rather not deal with the hassle and expense of insured postage, etc.

I listened to some music last night with it and it seemed very lacking in the low end. I'm going to compare to a cable later on when I get chance.

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #96 of 117
Shouldn't the APTX toggle be there for this like it is on my Sennheiser headphones?

No not always the CODEC selection can be very inconsistent on Android devices. The only way to select CODEC's reliably is to enable Developer settings and choose the CODEC in there.

Sometimes, at least for me it doesn't remember the last setting very well and I have to go back into the Developer settings every time.

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #97 of 117
No not always the CODEC selection can be very inconsistent on Android devices. The only way to select CODEC's reliably is to enable Developer settings and choose the CODEC in there.

Sometimes, at least for me it doesn't remember the last setting very well and I have to go back into the Developer settings every time.
Great, thanks.
Can you let me know how to do that? The selection is always there with the Sennheisers under the standard Bluetooth settings - it's not there with the BT2 ever. I did the "Tap on the version number" thing when I first got my phone so I have the developer options enabled.

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #98 of 117
Great, thanks.
Can you let me know how to do that? The selection is always there with the Sennheisers under the standard Bluetooth settings - it's not there with the BT2 ever. I did the "Tap on the version number" thing when I first got my phone so I have the developer options enabled.

Go into the Developer options in settings and scroll down, there you will see the Bluetooth options select "Bluetooth Audio Codec", change it to AptX or AptX HD depending on what your phone supports.

3) the voice that says "power on", etc is low quality. If you turn Bluetooth off while using the earphones it says that the device is "disconnect" not "disconnected"

I get no voice announcement when disconnecting but my BT2 is from the first batch its almost a year old now. I wouldn't call the announcements low quality either, a female voice with a maybe american accent (I'm not good with accents :) ).

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #100 of 117
Thanks @SteveOliver, selecting Bluetooth Codec doesn't seem to make a difference and when I leave the menu and return to it, it's reverted to "SBC", every time.

Does that sound right?

No if your phone supports AptX, which it does and AptX-HD too I believe, then the BT2 connection will lock on whatever supported Codec you choose. At this point I would say you do have a fake BT2. I would send it back for a refund and get one Dispatched and Sold from Amazon which are £112 at the moment.

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #101 of 117
No if your phone supports AptX, which it does and AptX-HD too I believe, then the BT2 connection will lock on whatever supported Codec you choose. At this point I would say you do have a fake BT2. I would send it back for a refund and get one Dispatched and Sold from Amazon which are £112 at the moment.
Thanks man, I was pretty sure it wasn't right.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #103 of 117
I opened a case with eBay and the seller sent a message, didn't dispute my claim that it was a counterfeit.

So I guess he knew, buyers be aware!
I was just shopping for this and it seems to be $119 consistently from reputable sources. If you enter 'RMCE-BT2' into Google Shopping, a whole slew of options come up to purchase for around $28 (less if you buy in bulk!). One of the sites actually states "Note: it is the replicawith good qulaity only ". So yes, buyer beware. Product and packaging appear to be indistinguishable from the genuine version.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #105 of 117
Hi wondering how you fixed any issues with kann cube and bt2.

i recently bought both and have been using them together for the first time and having issues.

bt2 with iphone 8 plus has no issues.

but with kc issues pop up.
I am using a dignis case.

issues become more prevalent if:

* the b2t is not facing the kc (eg i turn around);
* I hold the kc in my left hand whilst my arm is hanging down. If my arm is half bent (across my chest) or the kc is sitting on a chair an arms length away there is minimal issues. I do have an apple watch on my left arm so maybe that is the culprit on that one - less issues when kc is sitting on my right side

i will also try the sony xm3 with the kc and also try the bt2 with the kc wearing no leather case and/ or me wearing no watch
For those considering the bt2 here are my subsequent and disappointing testing/findings re Bluetooth issues that I was having with the Kann Cube and BT2 a few months back:

After having a chance to try the BT2 with the cayin n6ii I found the same very poor connection at play as I found with the kann cube. Identical results
I even tried a second unit of the BT2 (in store demo unit) with the same issue

so bottom line it appears the Bluetooth issues came from the bt2 side and not the Kann cube - using aptxhd

note: there was NO issue at all with my iphone (AAC codec). Worked perfectly with that “lesser” codec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back