New Shure RMCE-BT2 (tested with SE535)
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #46 of 117
I just got one, and the audio quality is decent. I'm starting to really hate having cables dangle around, and having to finagle with a player amp stack. The clip is solid and a bit too tight I think, but it's very slim and does it's job. I got cutouts at weird places that I didn't with my Bose, but they stopped when I held the phone in my hand. Need to test some more. The fit is nice, holding firmly around my ears. Haven't tried the call/microphone. Bit annoying is the control scheme where you have to hold on to volume up for 3 seconds to skip a song etc. It's not double or triple clicking any button. Turning off is middle button 5 seconds, pairing is middle button 7 seconds. It works fine if you are watching the little light. Paired with my SE846 it's a big improvement over my bose soundsport, but then this is not water resistant. I'm bummed that my S9+ doesn't do AptX HD.

Thanks for sharing this. I was looking pretty hard at these and almost pulled the trigger. Still considering them and will and will probably need to get something for my SE535s now that Samsung is ditching the headphone jack as well. The control scheme seems similar to the Mee Audio BTX1 that I currently use in the office with my SE425s

I was also bummed when I found out my S9 does not have aptX HD.

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #47 of 117
Thanks for posting your opinions and you should be too, you are missing out on some of the audio performance the BT2 can offer. I'm not sure I could actually tell the difference between AptX and AptX HD, but this is HeadFi where only the best will do. :)

If I were to replace my LG V30 I would have to make sure my new phone did AptX HD.
Why not get a Shanling UP2, a FiiO BTR3 or ES100 with a short MMCX Cable? The Audio Quality is much higher, you get all the benefits of wireless (the closest you'll get to a wired connection) and the device can also be used as a BT receiver into Stereos, Powered SPeakers and it can be used as a USB DAC - It has far more flexibility than single use cables.

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #48 of 117
What are you guys talking about. Newer versions of Android have Aptx, Aptx HD, and LDAC as well. It has been baked into the OS the past couple of years. The S9 is included!

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #49 of 117
What are you guys talking about. Newer versions of Android have Aptx, Aptx HD, and LDAC as well. It has been baked into the OS the past couple of years. The S9 is included!
What are you talking about? Do you actually have the S9 and did any research? They said they were going to include it but didn't. It's quite simple. You can google it and only people saying they don't have it, not the other way around. Pixel 3a has it, Huawei P30 and pro have it, LG G7, 8 have it. etc. But not Samsung. It's not even on the Qualcomm website.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #50 of 117
What are you talking about? Do you actually have the S9 and did any research? They said they were going to include it but didn't. It's quite simple. You can google it and only people saying they don't have it, not the other way around. Pixel 3a has it, Huawei P30 and pro have it, LG G7, 8 have it. etc. But not Samsung. It's not even on the Qualcomm website.
Wow that stinks. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 and it has LDAC. Not doubting you, just can't believe it's not on k the S9

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #51 of 117

Yup, had every Samsung phone up to the Note 9. Remember using it with my BT2. Maybe things have changed? Been using the OP7 Pro the past few months.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #52 of 117
Why not get a Shanling UP2, a FiiO BTR3 or ES100 with a short MMCX Cable? The Audio Quality is much higher, you get all the benefits of wireless (the closest you'll get to a wired connection) and the device can also be used as a BT receiver into Stereos, Powered SPeakers and it can be used as a USB DAC - It has far more flexibility than single use cables.
Yes that did occur to me, although after I clicked the buy button lol. The Shure is a more compact solution though. And I wasn't sure if I could get as compact a package as an all in one solution from Shure. Though now it does seem tempting. The Shure BT2 is so compact though, but maybe I'll get one of those guys (hard to decide which of the 3) and a FiiO short MMCX cable to compare.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #53 of 117
Yes that did occur to me, although after I clicked the buy button lol. The Shure is a more compact solution though. And I wasn't sure if I could get as compact a package as an all in one solution from Shure. Though now it does seem tempting. The Shure BT2 is so compact though, but maybe I'll get one of those guys (hard to decide which of the 3) and a FiiO short MMCX cable to compare.

I have the BT2 and Fiio BTR3 and like the former better. Meatier low end with the SE846. Don't think it's an impedance mismatch, as the Fiio has a very low output impedance. Just think that Shure is properly amping the SE846. Something sounds "right" about the sound with the BT2 to me. That said, think the BTR3 squeezes out a little more detail. The highs in particular are a little more defined with the BTR3 and more laid-back with the BT2.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #54 of 117
Wow that stinks. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 and it has LDAC. Not doubting you, just can't believe it's not on k the S9
Thanks I just learned something new. LDAC! S9 has LDAC, but.. and now I'm bummed again LOL since the Shure doesn't support LDAC. Sigh. I really fell hard for the AptX marketing and didn't know LDAC was better. Everything is pointing towards something else now.
I have the BT2 and Fiio BTR3 and like the former better. Meatier low end with the SE846. Don't think it's an impedance mismatch, as the Fiio has a very low output impedance. Just think that Shure is properly amping the SE846. Something sounds "right" about the sound with the BT2 to me. That said, think the BTR3 squeezes out a little more detail. The highs in particular are a little more defined with the BTR3 and more laid-back with the BT2.
That's good to know! Thanks. I don't think BT2 is bad at all, just I've had better and that's the curse. If I know I don't have to compromise as much for convenience, then why compromise that much. I like the BTR3's complete package, but does seem a little worse SQ wise compared to UP2 and ES100. ES100 might have best sound but older bluetooth, no app, relatively lower quality construction and I don't really like the side orientation for the jack. But Balanced output is attractive though I'll have to get a custom short 3.5mm balanced cable? Not sure how it works.
I feel like the BT2 works well with the SE846 too. Also aesthetically it matches up well, and even the clear/black color matching is growing on me.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #55 of 117
That's good to know! Thanks. I don't think BT2 is bad at all, just I've had better and that's the curse. If I know I don't have to compromise as much for convenience, then why compromise that much. I like the BTR3's complete package, but does seem a little worse SQ wise compared to UP2 and ES100. ES100 might have best sound but older bluetooth, no app, relatively lower quality construction and I don't really like the side orientation for the jack. But Balanced output is attractive though I'll have to get a custom short 3.5mm balanced cable? Not sure how it works.
I feel like the BT2 works well with the SE846 too. Also aesthetically it matches up well, and even the clear/black color matching is growing on me.

And the ES100 has LDAC (as well as the BTR3), which looks like Samsung phones can still run.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #56 of 117
And the ES100 has LDAC (as well as the BTR3), which looks like Samsung phones can still run.

Amazon has a 15% off coupon on the ES100. Just ordered one 5 min ago to use at home for my desktop/surface (for now) and LDAC from S9 so I can finally go wireless at home too. Seems very versatile.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #57 of 117
I bought these a few weeks ago and have had a lot of trouble with the bluetooth connection. I bought them for occasional use when wireless connection will be more practical, but from the outset the bluetooth has been terrible. I’ve been testing it with my Kann Cube and Andromeda iems. Almost everytime I first connect, the audio is scrambled and sometimes catches up then drops out before the Shure turns itself off. After 3 or 4 reconnections it improves a lot but still drops out momentarily from time to time, often without movement - tests mainly whilst sitting at a desk with Cube less than 500mm away and no other bluetooth devices close by. Strangely the connection does seem better with iPhome 8+, but I haven’t tested that as much as the cube.
I must say though, that when they work, they are awesome and no far off using the litz cable connection.
My supplier is happy to take them back, but I’d like to investigate further first, anyone else had similar problem?

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #58 of 117
I bought these a few weeks ago and have had a lot of trouble with the bluetooth connection. I bought them for occasional use when wireless connection will be more practical, but from the outset the bluetooth has been terrible. I’ve been testing it with my Kann Cube and Andromeda iems. Almost everytime I first connect, the audio is scrambled and sometimes catches up then drops out before the Shure turns itself off. After 3 or 4 reconnections it improves a lot but still drops out momentarily from time to time, often without movement - tests mainly whilst sitting at a desk with Cube less than 500mm away and no other bluetooth devices close by. Strangely the connection does seem better with iPhome 8+, but I haven’t tested that as much as the cube.
I must say though, that when they work, they are awesome and no far off using the litz cable connection.
My supplier is happy to take them back, but I’d like to investigate further first, anyone else had similar problem?
Hard to say what causes dropouts, but you can switch environments if you haven't already to test it. It has worked well for me, better than my old bluetooth solution (Bose Soundsport), but still cuts out a tiny bit at crosswalks here in Hong Kong. I don't think you can avoid that. It's strange that the BT2 turns itself off? Do you mean it disconnects from your cube? I'd just take it back and test it with other BT2 units and figure out if your unit is faulty and swap for a new one.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #60 of 117
Thanks for your replies, I finally think I managed to reset the unit and for the last 30 minutes it seems to be working properly. I didn’t realise it had to be plugged into a charge cable for a reset. I heard 3 low tone beeps that I haven’t heard before so I assume this confirms a reset.
I’ll repost if it doesn’t solve the problem but so far it seems good. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back