Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 20, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #3,257 of 6,413
Hi, I'm asking you a question this dap I see that many are impressed with its sound quality and smallness. My question is I'm looking for something like this device but I do not know if it's so small, you who think there is an alternative for this price or a little more or better I adapt and do not put a case to get a little fatter? Thank you very much to those who answer me.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #3,258 of 6,413
You can probably order a whole box of Hi Res Audio stickers from Aliexpress for just a couple of $ and certify everything you encounter personally! I prefer Hi Res cactuses myself.

I even have Hi-Res sticker on my passport. :wink:

I think perhaps I am a bit confused. I am not asking whether the unit can output DSD to external DACs such as the Chord Mojo.

I am wondering if the M0 can natively process DSD for playback on the unit. I though it could do that unlike the M1, but now I am not entirely sure. Can you elaborate?

If it can't do that now, will it be able to do so in the future? Most of the time I play FLAC on the unit, but DSD would be nice. Otherwise I will not use up the extra space on the device for DSD files.

Yes, M0's internal DAC ES9218p converts DSD natively. INTERNAL transport, so the one between "chips" inside M0, is DoP, but then the DAC converts it as full DSD.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #3,259 of 6,413
quote from Shanling: Yes, M0's internal DAC ES9218p converts DSD natively. INTERNAL transport, so the one between "chips" inside M0, is DoP, but then the DAC converts it as full DSD.[/QUOTE]

Shanling, thank you for clarifying this. This is what I had always thought, but some dialog on these forums seemed to imply otherwise.

If you need some reviewers of the M5S.....I have plenty of experience with Shanling devices by now.....shamless plug

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #3,261 of 6,413
I even have Hi-Res sticker on my passport. :wink:

Yes, M0's internal DAC ES9218p converts DSD natively. INTERNAL transport, so the one between "chips" inside M0, is DoP, but then the DAC converts it as full DSD.

I have a Hi IQ sticker on my passport. :)

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,262 of 6,413
quote from Shanling: Yes, M0's internal DAC ES9218p converts DSD natively. INTERNAL transport, so the one between "chips" inside M0, is DoP, but then the DAC converts it as full DSD.[/QUOT

Shanling, thank you for clarifying this. This is what I had always thought, but some dialog on these forums seemed to imply otherwise.

If you need some reviewers of the M5S.....I have plenty of experience with Shanling devices by now.....shamless plug

We are getting DSD native decoding but using DoP as the transport is what is throwing in the clicks. Either this is dealt with in software to correct the DoP by adding a leading silence I think (JRiver can do this) or as the chip is also DSD native capable as a transport then in theory the DoP could be rendered irrelevant. However, in practice this has issues apparently that must be greater than the clicks that DoP adds to the beginning of tracks.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #3,263 of 6,413
We are getting DSD native decoding but using DoP as the transport is what is throwing in the clicks. Either this is dealt with in software to correct the DoP by adding a leading silence I think (JRiver can do this) or as the chip is also DSD native capable as a transport then in theory the DoP could be rendered irrelevant. However, in practice this has issues apparently that must be greater than the clicks that DoP adds to the beginning of tracks.

It would seem that there are some fixes that can be put into place to remove the clicks. Perhaps after the M5S ships Shanling can address this with a new firmware update.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #3,267 of 6,413
How does the M0 compare to the Radstone ES100 or Fiio BTR3 when used as a bluetooth amp?

I'm currently using & enjoying the ES100, but I'm curious to try the M0.
I tried it the other day with my Android phone and it works brilliantly. It sounds every bit as good as the other 2 plus you have the option of wired playback from the device itself.

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #3,268 of 6,413
How does the M0 compare to the Radstone ES100 or Fiio BTR3 when used as a bluetooth amp?
M0 and Radstone ES100 should sound different because of different DAC/amplification circuit. M0 has ESS ES9218P DAC chip, Radsone Earstudio ES100 has AK4375a (dual DAC scheme). Both DACs have their own integrated headphone amp on chip. But maybe there are more sophisticated implementation of amplification circuit on both devices, there are no detailed information. Same for Fiio BTR3 (AK4376a DAC). As for bluetooth receiver side there are difference in supported codecs. BTR3 have biggest codec support - SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX Low Latency, aptX HD, LDAC, and LHDC. ES100 supports SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX-HD and LDAC. By now M0 is limited (in receiver mode) to SBC, AAC and LDAC, but codecs may be added in future firmware updates. ES100 and BTR3 both have the same bluetooth chip - CSR 8675 Qualcomm chip. I can't find info on M0 bluetooth chip. Despite the above mentioned, there are may be HUGE difference of every day usage because of software, current firmware, button layout, etc.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #3,269 of 6,413
Can M0 be used as USB DAC (sound card) for Windows 10 PC, transmitting via LDAC to (Sony) headphones?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #3,270 of 6,413
Can M0 be used as USB DAC (sound card) for Windows 10 PC, transmitting via LDAC to (Sony) headphones?

It can be used as a usb dac, but expect some semi-unusable delays for games and movies.

In dac mode you can't use bluetooth though, touching the screen disconnrcts it as a usb dac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back