Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 20, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #3,226 of 6,413
Ok so I am going to ask JAS about the query I have and I do appreciate the reasoning behind you using the ba
Application process is listed on JAS website: https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en/hi-res-logo-application-process
As you may notice, right away item #2 is Non-Disclosure Agreement.
If you have any more questions regarding Hi-Res certification, you can reach out to JAS.

Why to apply for such certification? As with different certifications in audio, they are accepted by common public as basic "seal of approval". And you know, when one company starts waving it in their marketing, next thing you can expect is questions from customers why it isn't on your players.

And of course you can just slap random sticker on your player without certification by JAS. But don't be surprised when email from JAS lawyers arrive some time later.

On M2s and M3s, native DSD was added with later firmware. If it's for you such crucial function, I recommend to try these.

Ok so I am going to ask JAS about the query I have and I do appreciate the reasoning behind you using the badge and that you have an NDA in place.

I will be interested to see if they will bother responding and I do appreciate your prompt replies. This sort of communication with the customer has to be valued.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #3,227 of 6,413
I think for me there are 2 concerns regard this Hi-Res Certification:-

1) Are the stipulations that JAP set out actually being adhered to or is it just as you say - cash bung for a sticker?
2) Whilst there are plenty of Chi-Fi products that are listed on their page as having certification you also find a lot of other Chinese headphones for example for sale that will willingly use the logo on boxes and on product pages but they aren't listed on the JAP site and quite clearly don't conform to the JAP stipulated specs. So whereas Shanling headphones are specified as having frequency range of up to 40khz (not that anyone here wants that) and are Hi-Res certified you will find plenty of headphones out there with the logo on the product that are only 20khz.

Either of the above and the logo is no seal of approval.

So why then do say Shanling for example bother with the logo?

DSD needs a fix quick for me to even consider keeping the player. DSD native playback is capable with the chip its the CPU that may well be holding this thing back so not software but hardware?

So why is the HiRes sticker not on the M0 if it is certified? At least the sticker isn't on the unit I bought. My Sony A17 has it on the front.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #3,228 of 6,413
So why is the HiRes sticker not on the M0 if it is certified? At least the sticker isn't on the unit I bought. My Sony A17 has it on the front.

Because you don't need to put sticker on it, that's up to the manufacturer and it can differ from model to model.
We tried it, but it looked horribly on tiny M0. We are fine with having it on packaging, promo materials, website, etc.
For same reason there is no Hi-Res sticker on Shanling earphones.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 20, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #3,233 of 6,413
Because you don't need to put sticker on it, that's up to the manufacturer and it can differ from model to model.
We tried it, but it looked horribly on tiny M0. We are fine with having it on packaging, promo materials, website, etc.
For same reason there is no Hi-Res sticker on Shanling earphones.

Thanks for the clarification on that, wasn't sure if the sticker was a requirement and don't care quite frankly. Never been a fan of the whole HiRes silliness and I can see how it would look out of place on such a small device.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #3,235 of 6,413

Excellent review! The only thing I would add is that the M0 is suitable for using with large music collections if you use it in shuffle mode and don't try and select individual tracks. I've got a 128gb micro sd card and I put all the music I've bought in the last 18 months or so on the card and play it at random. That use case works great, and the screen shows the current cover art which the iPod shuffle couldn't do.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,236 of 6,413
Excellent review! The only thing I would add is that the M0 is suitable for using with large music collections if you use it in shuffle mode and don't try and select individual tracks. I've got a 128gb micro sd card and I put all the music I've bought in the last 18 months or so on the card and play it at random. That use case works great, and the screen shows the current cover art which the iPod shuffle couldn't do.

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated.

I truly do hope that Shanling will be able to clean up the UI to make it a bit more intuitive to use. They've created an amazing product that has the potential of being really epic if given the right amount of TLC to the software

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #3,237 of 6,413
Because putting stickers on expensive electronics is trashy? :)

Yeah but how will I know if it is HiRes certified if I don't see the trashy little sticker on my device. I mean people will think I bought a cheap substandard device without it, how will I ever live it down, my peers will shun me now!! Damn you Shanling for not being conformists. :ksc75smile:

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #3,238 of 6,413
Yeah but how will I know if it is HiRes certified if I don't see the trashy little sticker on my device. I mean people will think I bought a cheap substandard device without it, how will I ever live it down, my peers will shun me now!! Damn you Shanling for not being conformists. :ksc75smile:

You can probably order a whole box of Hi Res Audio stickers from Aliexpress for just a couple of $ and certify everything you encounter personally! I prefer Hi Res cactuses myself.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #3,239 of 6,413
When I got my Cayin n3 the thing came with like 4 hi res stickers. So if you want me to certify your dap for hi rezzzzz (10h to 99khz) then just pm me :wink:

Of course I’ll need your dap for at least a month ( testing is very thorough) but at least you’ll know it can produce ultrasonic frequencys - which any modern dac and amp can do :wink: cough...

But you’ll have that wonderful sticker and the pride that your dap was not only certified hi res but hi rezzzzz:)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #3,240 of 6,413

Very nice review. I agree with many of the points you make, in particular that the available space in the menus could be used more effectively.

At the price point of the M0, I think it might be more targeted towards enthousiasts looking for a step up from entry-level players. That was at least my reason for buying the M0. After a whole string of plastic, monochrome, noisy (Sandisk Sansa) players I wanted something better that would not break either bank or back. The Shanling M0 hardware is a massive step up from anything I had before while still being very compact. I combine it with the modest FiiO FH1 IEMs and it is the best sound I have ever had.

A lot more can be done with the software on this device making it an even bigger pleasure to use. Hopefully when the M5s is out, the M0 will get more software development attention. I really hope that Shanling sells enough units that they can keep devoting resources to software development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back