Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 7, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #1,096 of 6,413
Comparison to the DX 50 as I saw it mentioned a post or two ago.
IMG_20180607_113541.jpg

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,097 of 6,413
Got mine today,
but...
It just scrolls through, by itself, won't sit still or take screen input, I even reset it, its now in French and enabling/disabling USB :)

sent a message to the seller, really hope I don't need to send it back :frowning2:

Any Tips, for now, I'll let it run out of battery.?

Video here

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,099 of 6,413
i have a question/sugestion. all text's with caracters like (é á í ó ú ñ) are shown in M0 like a chinesse caracter, it would be posible to change it in the next fw updates?, because in spanish there's a lot of song with these caracters so sometimes its very ugly looking and tedious to know what song it's. @Shanling

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,100 of 6,413
This might be stupid question (but will ask anyway!). After using bluetooth - and before switching off with a long button press - is there any need or benefit in going into the settings/bluetooth options and switching off bluetooth with the on/off slider? I would expect the benefit might be that if left on -then startup (and bluetooth connect next time would be faster? But is there any downside eg battery life? Or does lomg press off actually switch everything off? Not a huge issue i guess but just wondered what best procedure is? Thanks.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #1,101 of 6,413
wish they would come up with something like this for the M0

9937988_l.jpg

9937989_l.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,102 of 6,413
I'm a DAP novice, but have been playing with the M0.
I tried listening last night with some headphones I would run with.
Didn't sound great, but my headphone listening has changed with new DACs, HP amps, and adequate power to drive my HiFi Man HE-560's.
Now listening with HE-560's sounds great -- albeit at limit of driving on "high" gain.

A few questions/comments:
- Idle: currently it appears that you can either choose Auto-Standby or Auto-shutdown. Is it possible to have a shorter standyby time and a longer shutdown time? That is, not a binary choice.
- Playback: instead of "HR" can the bit depth and sample rate be displayed -- eg 24/192 -- their appears room to do this
- Display: screen "tearing" isn't optimal, but hopefully can be improved
- Display: hard to read all settings without scrolling to see full horizontal line of text
- Charging: I may have missed it, but why can't you charge and listen at the same time?

I haven't played with bluetooth yet.
These are fun for $100.
I just ordered the case on Amazon, but would like a water resistant case for running/biking/etc.

Still searching for a full sized DAP. HiBy R6 seems buggy. A&future 100 SE has no reviews. FiiO X5 gen3 was too slow and buggy for me.

Mike

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,103 of 6,413
Just got a pair of Bose Quiet comfort II today. Never owned Bose before.

I can tell you the M0 pairs lovely with them.

And the rewarding 'connected to Shanling M0' from the Chinese voice when you connect is lovely.

I'm enjoying this product immensely.

Mike, and others .... This is by far a criticism, but let's not forget this device is:

A: brand new (it's gonna have bugs)
B: $99/£99 .

Don't expect miracles, but let's keep giving .feedback because Shanling seem prepared to implement changes within the firmware updates .

I might buy another just to keep at work or upstairs. Because I'm lazy .

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #1,105 of 6,413
How do you update the firmware? The instructions are in Chinese..
See post #699 on page 47 where I asked the same question.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,107 of 6,413
Got mine today,
but...
It just scrolls through, by itself, won't sit still or take screen input, I even reset it, its now in French and enabling/disabling USB :)

sent a message to the seller, really hope I don't need to send it back :frowning2:

Any Tips, for now, I'll let it run out of battery.?

Video here

In few occasions we saw this, proper cleaning of the screen helped.Otherwise it's fully covered by warranty and your seller should get you replacement unit.

H...H...How did they even put many good features and shrunk it in the size of that?

Thinking outside the box and lots and lots of engineering work.

i have a question/sugestion. all text's with caracters like (é á í ó ú ñ) are shown in M0 like a chinesse caracter, it would be posible to change it in the next fw updates?, because in spanish there's a lot of song with these caracters so sometimes its very ugly looking and tedious to know what song it's. @Shanling

We are aware of font problems and looking into fix.

This might be stupid question (but will ask anyway!). After using bluetooth - and before switching off with a long button press - is there any need or benefit in going into the settings/bluetooth options and switching off bluetooth with the on/off slider? I would expect the benefit might be that if left on -then startup (and bluetooth connect next time would be faster? But is there any downside eg battery life? Or does lomg press off actually switch everything off? Not a huge issue i guess but just wondered what best procedure is? Thanks.

When you turn off M0, it's truly turned off. So keeping BT on or off has no meaning in this state.

A few questions/comments:
- Idle: currently it appears that you can either choose Auto-Standby or Auto-shutdown. Is it possible to have a shorter standyby time and a longer shutdown time? That is, not a binary choice.
- Playback: instead of "HR" can the bit depth and sample rate be displayed -- eg 24/192 -- their appears room to do this
- Display: screen "tearing" isn't optimal, but hopefully can be improved
- Display: hard to read all settings without scrolling to see full horizontal line of text
- Charging: I may have missed it, but why can't you charge and listen at the same time?

I haven't played with bluetooth yet.
These are fun for $100.
I just ordered the case on Amazon, but would like a water resistant case for running/biking/etc.

Still searching for a full sized DAP.

Shorter standby time than 1 minute? For some people even this feels like too short. Also, you don't need to choice either, keep M0 turned on for ever! (or until battery runs out)
We prefer look with no logo, HR is there just to please the given group of customers. Otherwise, looking 95% of time on same 16/44 seems kind of boring.
We have some improvements with tearing, hoping to get rid of it completely over time.
I tried to make all the settings text as short as possible to fit the screen. And in English version, you need to scroll anything in setting very rarely. Of course, some other languages, like German, can be little bit more complicated. But not much we can do about it.
Of course you can charge and listen at the same time. It's just basic manual recommendation, theoretically it's safer if you are not using device while charging it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #1,110 of 6,413
Good news everyone!

Shanling M0 V2.0 firmware update

Download from Google drive

New functions:
1. Support of LDAC codec added to Bluetooth receiver mode.
2. Support of AAC codec added to Bluetooth receiver mode.
Note: Volume of M0 will be controlled by connected iOS device.
3. If Bluetooth headphones/speakers are connected to M0 over LDAC codec, M0 will automatically change quality setting depending on the strength of signal.

Changes and fixes
1. Optimization of touch sensitivity and system speed.
2. Optimization of quality of Bluetooth connection.
3. Optimization of battery indicator.
4. Fixed the problem of Bluetooth connecting while charging.
5. Fixed the problem of card reading error after waking up from standby mode.
6. Fixed the problem of “Add to my favourite” symbol not changing colour properly.
7. Fixed the problem of some album covers not displaying.
8. Fixed the problem of stopping playback while using USB digital output.
9. Fixed other small problems.

How to update:
1. Make sure that M0 is fully charged.
2. Unzip the file and copy “update.bin” file into root folder of micro SD card. Card must be formatted to FAT32.
3. Choose “System Update” in system settings and wait until system restarts.
4. Check in settings “About M0” to be sure new firmware was installed.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back