Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 8, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,111 of 6,418
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #1,112 of 6,418
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #1,113 of 6,418
Need to sort out these font files to get rid of these unique symbols problems.
Log, can ask, but not sure if it would be useful to anybody else? For which purpose you want it, Last.fm?
I know what you mean with the navigation, but implementing this would mean we would also need to add another command, how to get to currently playing album/folder. We have it planned for future devices with bigger screen, will see if we can get it to M0.

Thanks for sorting out the problem with the symbols! Yes the log-file could be used for Last.fm or other services. I think there are still some people out there, for who are interested in the kind of statistical things. For some it might have a huge impact on the decision which DAP to buy... It would be great to have it on the M0.

The v2.0 update process worked completely fine. Thanks for the update!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #1,114 of 6,418
The .rar file is corrupted and cannot be unpacked. Tried several times.
I had the same issue but I tried a different application and it worked fine.

I usually download via my phone and do all the unpackaging using ESFile explorer Pro and while it usually works I was getting bad rar messages. So I just downloaded a different app called Rar and that did the trick. While I haven't tried on my PC I'm fairly certain that 7zip or whatever I have on there wouldn't have had any problems but trying a different application might help you.

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #1,115 of 6,418
Strange as I have no issues with the Instructions and the USB Driver. Perhaps my UnRAR software needs updating but that site doesn't seem to be working.

As I can't get to 2.0, here are my impressions of 1.5:

Sadly my first comment on this device has to be negative.

Having bought it from a UK retailer, I expected it to be set to 'English'. Not so. Perhaps then the instruction book will help. Again, not so.

Ridiculous that I have to come onto a third party hifi forum and search in order to find out how to change the language. The icon in the setting menu was not at all obvious to me. It could be anything.

I do have it working now.

Find it hard to get the now playing screen to swipe left or right. Long slow swipes or short quick swipes makes no difference. It takes 4 or 5 goes to get it to react.

Some settings are hidden by controls. What is 'Folder Sk'? What is 'Gain Rep'? What is 'Volume L'? What is 'Output O'? It took lots of tries to get these settings to scroll. Initially I thought that scroll was not implemented for these. Even after scrolling, I don't know what 'Folder Skip' does.

This device needs a much better user manual. All these settings should be explained (and yes I did watch the video).

Swipe right to dismiss a setting often changes the setting instead. Of course once you have set the player to your liking, you won't need to keep going back to settings.

The EQ settings are all worthless. All of them. Completely hopeless. A simple bass and treble control would be more useful. This is going to seriously restrict what I can play on this device until better tone controls are available. Shame if having bought such a small and light player, I then have to carry multiple IEMs depending on what I want to listen to. Actually has me thinking about returning it.

When selecting 'Update', what does 'Automatic' do? Will that scan every time I turn the device on? Updating took about 5 minutes with my nearly full 256GB card so I'll leave that setting off.

The bezel is hiding the first few pixels of the screen all the way round. You can see it if you look at a shallow angle. I only noticed this because I played an album with writing around the edge of the cover. Why? Seems an odd design choice.

Seems like a harsh first posting on this new device but the Cowon Plenue D never gave me all these reasons to moan. The PD just works - if only it would work fully with 256GB cards it would be the perfect DAP.

When playing something with the right tonal balance, the M0 sounds quite decent - even on the T5p much to my amazement.

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #1,116 of 6,418
@Shanling -

Replies below...

Shorter standby time than 1 minute? For some people even this feels like too short. Also, you don't need to choice either, keep M0 turned on for ever! (or until battery runs out)
No you can only choose Auto-Standby or Auto-shutdown currently.
What if you could choose:
Auto-Standby - 3 min
Auto-shutdown - 30 min
You can't choose BOTH now.

We prefer look with no logo, HR is there just to please the given group of customers. Otherwise, looking 95% of time on same 16/44 seems kind of boring.
I disagree. If I am playing 16/44 or 24/44 or 24/192 I would like to know. The information is there. Why not display it?

We have some improvements with tearing, hoping to get rid of it completely over time.
Great. Is this included in FW v2.0? "Fixed other small problems."

I tried to make all the settings text as short as possible to fit the screen. And in English version, you need to scroll anything in setting very rarely. Of course, some other languages, like German, can be little bit more complicated. But not much we can do about it.
Many song titles don't fit as well as even some of the M0 settings don't fit.
So, it isn't rare if it is in the settings.

Of course you can charge and listen at the same time.
Ok.

It's just basic manual recommendation, theoretically it's safer if you are not using device while charging it.
Why? I charge other mobile devices and listen to them at the same time -- eg iPhone.
Destops of course are plugged in while listening.
I don't understand the "safer". How? Why? I don't think that statement is intuitively obvious.

Mike

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #1,117 of 6,418
Thanks Shanling for the new firmware update. Now the system speed seem faster and smoother. Before it seem abit lag. And also touch not sensitive enough

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #1,118 of 6,418
Another very fine match.

IMG_20180608_130644.jpg

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #1,119 of 6,418
Hi,

Unfortunately, as a Mac user, I am not able to decompress the file with the applications available (e.g. iZip). Is there some way of opening this on a Mac, or would it be possible to make an uncompressed version available?

Thanks.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #1,120 of 6,418
I've been able to confirm LDAC receiver mode from an Android 8.1 phone, the Essential PH-1.

This is an awesome work around for me as I have to deal with all my phones not having a headphone jack. Plus most of my headphones don't have a Bluetooth adapter with decent sound quality. I was looking into the earsound es100 but this just fixed the Bluetooth issue with a better rate than aptx and firmware wise is outshining my AP200.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,121 of 6,418
Good news everyone!

Shanling M0 V2.0 firmware update

Download from Google drive

New functions:
1. Support of LDAC codec added to Bluetooth receiver mode.
2. Support of AAC codec added to Bluetooth receiver mode.
Note: Volume of M0 will be controlled by connected iOS device.
3. If Bluetooth headphones/speakers are connected to M0 over LDAC codec, M0 will automatically change quality setting depending on the strength of signal.

Changes and fixes
1. Optimization of touch sensitivity and system speed.
2. Optimization of quality of Bluetooth connection.
3. Optimization of battery indicator.
4. Fixed the problem of Bluetooth connecting while charging.
5. Fixed the problem of card reading error after waking up from standby mode.
6. Fixed the problem of “Add to my favourite” symbol not changing colour properly.
7. Fixed the problem of some album covers not displaying.
8. Fixed the problem of stopping playback while using USB digital output.
9. Fixed other small problems.

How to update:
1. Make sure that M0 is fully charged.
2. Unzip the file and copy “update.bin” file into root folder of micro SD card. Card must be formatted to FAT32.
3. Choose “System Update” in system settings and wait until system restarts.
4. Check in settings “About M0” to be sure new firmware was installed.

Thanks Shanling for the new firmware update. Now the system speed seem faster and smoother. Before it seem abit lag. And also touch not sensitive enough

I'm having a problem with v1.5 -> v2.0 FW migration.
I download file to desktop.
I can copy to micro SD card in M0. The file is M0 firmware 2.0.rar.
I have tried copying it to to top most (no folder) directory as well as into the folder "Android".
When I try "System Update" I get the message "FV. Not Found".

I tried unzipping file to same location and do not get an "update.bin" file.
I seem to be missing something. Thanks for any help.

Mike

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,122 of 6,418
I have just updated without a problem and I am now enjoying the pairing of M0 and Chord Hugo via the Shanling USBc to Micro USB cable, this is very cool! I have had no issues with the UI, in fact it feels very intuitive and so smooth. Many thanks so far Frankie, I am sure that there is more to come.

I have just recommended the M0 to my 2nd son and to a couple of friends, this great piece of kit, just got better.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,123 of 6,418
I'm having a problem with v1.5 -> v2.0 FW migration.
I download file to desktop.
I can copy to micro SD card in M0. The file is M0 firmware 2.0.rar.
I have tried copying it to to top most (no folder) directory as well as into the folder "Android".
When I try "System Update" I get the message "FV. Not Found".

I tried unzipping file to same location and do not get an "update.bin" file.
I seem to be missing something. Thanks for any help.

Mike
Unrar the file first to get the update.bin file then copy to the root folder (the folder that has no other folder containing it) like you were doing before then system update steps.

If you are on an Android device doing this you will need to down the "Rar" app to unpack the .RAR file. I tried Astro and es file explorer and they can't unpack the file right for whatever reason.

I'm not sure why the file was rar'd because the update file is only 37.x MBs.

Hope this helps.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,125 of 6,418
Unrar the file first to get the update.bin file then copy to the root folder (the folder that has no other folder containing it) like you were doing before then system update steps.

If you are on an Android device doing this you will need to down the "Rar" app to unpack the .RAR file. I tried Astro and es file explorer and they can't unpack the file right for whatever reason.

I'm not sure why the file was rar'd because the update file is only 37.x MBs.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
I searched up RAR and realized this is like ZIP.
I was connected to a work computer that I couldn't put new programs on.
Switched to my MS Surface Book Win OS 10 and downloaded RAR Opener.
I tried to unpack on the micro SD card and got an error message.
I re-downloaded from the Google link and still got the error:
"Error opening the archive (check available disk space, that you have a valid password, or that the archive is not damaged or partial)"

Will keep playing with it.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back