New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Oct 7, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #8,806 of 9,484
HD 800 and HE1000 with the yggdrasil and ragnarok  should be a great match?

My HE1K sounds great through the Yggdrasil / Ragnarock. The bass is so impactfull and textured. Likewise the mids are so sweet yet detailed and transparent. The highs are spot on perfect, do to the exquisite micro detail. The Ragnarock is a powerful beast of amp, that can make any headphone sing like a muse of old. One can not go wrong with a Yggdrasil/ Ragnarock.:D

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #8,807 of 9,484
My HE1K sounds great through the Yggdrasil / Ragnarock. The bass is so impactfull and textured. Likewise the mids are so sweet yet detailed and transparent. The highs are spot on perfect, do to the exquisite micro detail. The Ragnarock is a powerful beast of amp, that can make any headphone sing like a muse of old. One can not go wrong with a Yggdrasil/ Ragnarock.
biggrin.gif

how about the sound stage

also anyone know of a good balanced cable for HD 800's?

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #8,808 of 9,484

Sound stage is large, detailed and very three-dimensionally holographic. :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #8,811 of 9,484
My HE1K sounds great through the Yggdrasil / Ragnarock. The bass is so impactfull and textured. Likewise the mids are so sweet yet detailed and transparent. The highs are spot on perfect, do to the exquisite micro detail. The Ragnarock is a powerful beast of amp, that can make any headphone sing like a muse of old. One can not go wrong with a Yggdrasil/ Ragnarock.
biggrin.gif

I heard the Yggr/Rag stack with the HD800 and LCD-3F at the spring Nashville meet.  The best sound I've ever heard with those cans.  

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #8,812 of 9,484
As far as I'm concerned, Chris from Charleston Cable Company will be my source for all headphone cables. Made one for my LCD-2 and I'm highly impressed with it and its price.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #8,813 of 9,484
Hi,

When I using JRiver (imac version) as source for ygg, the bitrate showed on the ygg panel doe not always reflect the bit rate identified in JRiver. Is there anything I need to configure? Sometimes the bitrate just stuck on a high bitrate tracks but never goes down when I play low bitrate tracks. Or it won't go up when I am playing high bitrate flac format music files. 

Anyone can tell me what to configure/do? Thanks.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #8,814 of 9,484
Make sure JRiver's not changing the sample rate.  And of course, if it sounds good why worry about it? 

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #8,815 of 9,484
  Make sure JRiver's not changing the sample rate.  And of course, if it sounds good why worry about it? 

Yes. It sounds very good. : ). It's very weird though that when I using one usb cable it shows 44.1kbps bit rate while another usb shows 192kbps bit rate on the same track.

How to make sure the JRiver is not changing the sample rate? I did the settings of Mac's audio MIDI according to this setup:

http://schiit.com/guides/dsd-setup

The only thing I changed is the format "2 channel 24bit integer". It was "2 channel 16bit integer" before. Is this the sample rate?

Thanks.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #8,816 of 9,484
[I thought I'd seen something like this, but googling didn't make it obvious]

When my Yggy switches between different rates, the relay clicks. I often use shuffle mode, so it's switching between different rates about every 5 or 6 songs on average. I remember seeing this in the manual:

Hey, this thing clicks when my CD player is in pause/when I select files on my desktop/change sample rates, etc.
Right. That’s the muting relay, doing its job. When the incoming datastream is interrupted, Yggdrasil will mute. The relay is rated for 15 million cycles, so don’t stress about it. Or buy a better transport. Or use USB.

So, I'd thought that I wouldn't hear it with USB. Is that wrong? It's more noticeable with open-air headphones (HD800). Not a show-stopper (i.e., wouldn't make me switch DACs), but if there's a way to stop it, that would be nice.

Here's my current setup:

iMac | Audirvana+ | AudioQuest Forest (USB, 1.5m) | Schiit Yggdrasil | generic balanced XLR | Sennheiser HDVD800 | Sennheiser CH 800 S (balanced headphone cable) | Sennheiser HD 800

I tried with A+ set to mute and not to mute when switching, didn't make a difference here. Any suggestions?

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #8,817 of 9,484
I think this may have something to do with buffering causing latency and sometimes drops in the audio stream. It's possible that the iMac is not able to maintain a steady signal to the DAC. So you may need to check the USB buffer settings. I don't have an iMac but do know that they have an exclusive audio mode. You may need to configure that first to ensure that the Yggy has exclusive access. If you have problems after that, you probably have to get a USB hub like the Wyrd or Uptone Audio Regen to maintain a steady signal.

I had similar problems with my PC. The only way i was able to solve it was to get the Regen.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #8,818 of 9,484
  I think this may have something to do with buffering causing latency and sometimes drops in the audio stream. It's possible that the iMac is not able to maintain a steady signal to the DAC. So you may need to check the USB buffer settings. I don't have an iMac but do know that they have an exclusive audio mode. You may need to configure that first to ensure that the Yggy has exclusive access. If you have problems after that, you probably have to get a USB hub like the Wyrd or Uptone Audio Regen to maintain a steady signal.

I had similar problems with my PC. The only way i was able to solve it was to get the Regen.

Good suggestion. I'm curious if some never have this issue. A+ is set in exclusive with large buffer. Could it be that it's actually switching between two chains? Some have 44.1 and 48 based completely separate. Maybe this is a relay between the two? I don't know the electrical details here, so guessing.

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #8,819 of 9,484
If A+ has exclusive access, then i don't see how there can be any switching. Try playing around with the buffer settings.
Also is "Integer mode" selected. If not select it. That should solve your issue.

There's info on Integer mode and how it affects sound quality at the link below FYI.

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/MAC%20OSX%20audio%20players%20&%20Integer%20Mode.pdf

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #8,820 of 9,484
  If A+ has exclusive access, then i don't see how there can be any switching. Try playing around with the buffer settings.
Also is "Integer mode" selected. If not select it. That should solve your issue.

There's info on Integer mode and how it affects sound quality at the link below FYI.

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/MAC%20OSX%20audio%20players%20&%20Integer%20Mode.pdf

Yep, Integer Mode, been these settings for months:
+ Exclusive Access Mode
+ Direct Mode
+ Integer Mode (mode 1)
+ buffer (4G, ~101min at 44.1, ~23 at 192)

My iMac has 16G memory, little else running. It plays fine, without glitches. I just hear the Yggy click when going between 44.1 and 96/192. Note that it's a click coming from the Yggy itself, not a signal going through the audio to headphones. Like either a muting mechanism or signal routing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back