New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 24, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #8,176 of 9,484
Question for any electrical engineers out there - any advantage to running your hi-fi with a dedicated generator (as sold at home improvement stores)? I would think that a generator feeding only the sound system would get rid of any noise problems and voltage fluctuations. And generators are cheaper than a lot of power conditioners.

Of course, this wouldn't be practical for apartment dwellers. And if you wanted to keep your Ygg juiced up 24/7 the cost of gas might be prohibitive - but what abut the sonics?

The sonics of the generator itself are really pleasant.

Adds the nice warmth and fat tone of a gas combustion engine?

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #8,177 of 9,484
maybe the furman is a better choice vs the triplite?

On top of power conditioning and filtering:
You have non-sacrificial surge protection(meaning the power conditioner will survive and work properly even after a massive electrical surge hitting it)
You have power factor correction which helps add 45amps(3amp continous) of instant power reserves for your amplifier(helps with movie explosion or 1842 cannons)
You get a power distribution box and phoneline and cable surge protection
You also get manufacuter insurance against damages caused by electrical damage
Also it has two fancy led lights that you can use for dim lighting.

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-Elite-15-PF-13-Outlet-Filtering/dp/B000WV5K4S/

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #8,178 of 9,484

You have non-sacrificial surge protection(meaning the power conditioner will survive and work properly even after a massive electrical surge hitting it)
You have power factor correction which helps add 45amps(3amp continous) of instant power reserves for your amplifier(helps with movie explosion or 1842 cannons)

Nothing specifically about the Furman, but none of these devices is likely to take a massive electrical surge and continue to work.  Or arrest a direct and ungrounded lightning strike.  They will survive moderate events that would fry a standard surge protector.

I'd also be cautious about assuming any of the manufacturers will actually pay off their claimed insurance on equipment damage.  If you do intend on making a claim, make sure to immediately fill out and complete the warranty card, and have original receipts from any gear that you think you might make a claim on.  Even then, it's unlikely, but you'll have the required history to try and push the vendor.

A quick Google search will show how frustrating an experience claims against the big vendors has been.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #8,179 of 9,484

Nothing specifically about the Furman, but none of these devices is likely to take a massive electrical surge and continue to work.  Or arrest a direct and ungrounded lightning strike.  They will survive moderate events that would fry a standard surge protector.

My Tripp Lite is rated for 3840 joules. A direct lightning strike is 1-10 billion joules. Nothing can protect against that, except maybe a lightning rod.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #8,183 of 9,484
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #8,184 of 9,484

Doesn't appear balanced, unlike the Furman IT-1210/20/30 models.  Still need UPS, tho, if this subject is about power outages and resulting periodic loss of the 'lush tapestry'.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #8,185 of 9,484
  yep, start with dedicated lines.  It makes a big difference. 

I need to get a better handle on residential electrical wiring.  When you say dedicated line, does this just mean that a particular outlet is on its own breaker in the sub-panel, or does it run all the way back out to the main panel?  I'm planning to have an electrician out to deal with some ungrounded sockets anyway and may look into a dedicated line if this is the extent of it.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #8,186 of 9,484

I need to get a better handle on residential electrical wiring.  When you say dedicated line, does this just mean that a particular outlet is on its own breaker in the sub-panel, or does it run all the way back out to the main panel?  I'm planning to have an electrician out to deal with some ungrounded sockets anyway and may look into a dedicated line if this is the extent of it.

I suppose you could do both, but in my house I had two 20A dedicated lines run to the panel in my house with their own breakers. Here's some more info

http://www.martinlogan.com/learn/faq-prewiring-a-home-theater.php
http://www.msbtech.com/support/wiring.php?Page=supportHome
http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-install-a-dedicated-ac-line/
http://www.stereophile.com/features/991ac/

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #8,187 of 9,484
Here's some video done by Furman which shows their power surge protection:

Speaking of something unique, Furman did a test that proves that their power filtration does improve audio performance in this video:

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #8,188 of 9,484
The problem with power conditioners, and I have one, is that they fix problems that aren't there for most people.  Get something that will keep your gear from getting smashed by lightning, not reduce performance and call it a day.  To do it right costs more than the gear being talked about in this thread and in the end just isn't worth it for the handful of times it would matter compared to putting the money into something that will reap benefits the rest of the year.  Just saying.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #8,189 of 9,484
  The problem with power conditioners, and I have one, is that they fix problems that aren't there for most people.  Get something that will keep your gear from getting smashed by lightning, not reduce performance and call it a day.  To do it right costs more than the gear being talked about in this thread and in the end just isn't worth it for the handful of times it would matter compared to putting the money into something that will reap benefits the rest of the year.  Just saying.

Power conditioning is better suited for audiophiles who's audio setup are worth $xxxx(4digits) or $xxxxx(5digits) or more. 

I also notice that my LCD monitor when powered through a power conditioner has better color vibrancy and sharper contrast. But YMMV. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #8,190 of 9,484
  yep, start with dedicated lines.  It makes a big difference. 

I can attest to the advantages of a dedicated feed straight from the panel.

Even on a system that draws as low as 80watts (continuous).

I have done some ASCC tests using a tester that measures Available Short Circuit Current at the wall plug.

The improvements are remarkable.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back