New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 23, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #8,162 of 9,484
The idea of leaving digital devices for hi-fi on 24/7 is not new. Audioquest, for example had a white paper some time ago with listening and measurements showing improvements over hours after cold turn on, reaching stability at 24 hr.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #8,164 of 9,484
I had a idea last night while while watching clarkson on top gear and I know he punched one of his producers and that's unacceptable but there is two greats in tv and that David attuabrough and Jeremy clarkson He kind reminds me of mike Moffat when he was telling some guy about raping his wife and buring down his house Anyway getting of the topic all these guys that a worried about black outs and losing the yiggys stored up kinetic energy Instead of buying those products of amazon I don't know to much about them but they look rubbish. Buy a good car battery ,check for the lead content cause most battery's are designed and sold by con men get a 12 v to 220 or 110 converter and a thing that keeps the battery charged and then some kind of gizmo that if the electricity cuts out the battery kicks in So I'm not sure if this ll work but makes sence to me. Cool if someone could tell me if this will work or not much appreciated : )

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #8,165 of 9,484
I know, after asking Tripp Lite, that the Isolation Transformer does not like to have another conditioner in line with it, as it sees it as a resistance. Same with the Voltage Regulator. Is either of the two, and by far, the Isolation Transformer provides more overall protection and noise reduction from AC Mains IME.

I'm also frustrated with this long wait for the Yggy ... I hope they don't announce further delays anymore.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #8,166 of 9,484
I had a idea last night while while watching clarkson on top gear and I know he punched one of his producers and that's unacceptable but there is two greats in tv and that David attuabrough and Jeremy clarkson He kind reminds me of mike Moffat when he was telling some guy about raping his wife and buring down his house Anyway getting of the topic all these guys that a worried about black outs and losing the yiggys stored up kinetic energy Instead of buying those products of amazon I don't know to much about them but they look rubbish. Buy a good car battery ,check for the lead content cause most battery's are designed and sold by con men get a 12 v to 220 or 110 converter and a thing that keeps the battery charged and then some kind of gizmo that if the electricity cuts out the battery kicks in So I'm not sure if this ll work but makes sence to me. Cool if someone could tell me if this will work or not much appreciated : )

I'm sorry to have to tell you the UPS has already been invented.  See, e.g., http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #8,168 of 9,484
Does the new end of July 2015 ship date apply for earlier orders as well? I placed an Yggdrasil order on schiit-europe on the 11th of June. Should I hope to get it until August? :)

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #8,169 of 9,484

Question for any electrical engineers out there - any advantage to running your hi-fi with a dedicated generator (as sold at home improvement stores)? I would think that a generator feeding only the sound system would get rid of any noise problems and voltage fluctuations. And generators are cheaper than a lot of power conditioners.

Of course, this wouldn't be practical for apartment dwellers. And if you wanted to keep your Ygg juiced up 24/7 the cost of gas might be prohibitive - but what abut the sonics?

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #8,170 of 9,484
Most generators I've seen are noisy as fu**. The problem is also with keeping the frequency at exactly 60.0hz as load changes. If it was only feeding audio equipment, the load will be tiny, but depending on where you live, I would think the utility is much better dialed in.

Just my thoughts working on industrial diesel and natural gas gens. Some of the smaller units use an inverter, so perhaps they would be cleaner.

The UPS systems I've used always feed the load through their inverter, as it's normally pretty clean, however it was mentioned that other home UPS systems just feed utility through, and turn on the inverter when needed. If your UPS load is on bypass, this would be the case. The inverter is firing, but the load is being fed through the wrap around bypass which is utility. When utility fails, it transfers the load to the inverter feed within a few cycles.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #8,171 of 9,484
Question for any electrical engineers out there - any advantage to running your hi-fi with a dedicated generator (as sold at home improvement stores)? I would think that a generator feeding only the sound system would get rid of any noise problems and voltage fluctuations. And generators are cheaper than a lot of power conditioners.

Of course, this wouldn't be practical for apartment dwellers. And if you wanted to keep your Ygg juiced up 24/7 the cost of gas might be prohibitive - but what abut the sonics?

The sonics of the generator itself are really pleasant.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #8,172 of 9,484
Acc. to radio news this morning there are about 200000 homes without power in the southern part of our state, NJ that is. And it might take a couple of days to clean up all the trees that downed power lines after last night thunderstorms. I guess those folks have other priorities right now than keeping a DAC powered up w/o interuption.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #8,173 of 9,484
IMO, running a dedicated line to your gear separating it from electrically noisy devices found in most homes is likely to have far more value at a lower cost then most of the other options being discussed here.

Add in a UPS and the vast majority of people will have all of the power quality and protection needed.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #8,174 of 9,484
  Acc. to radio news this morning there are about 200000 homes without power in the southern part of our state, NJ that is. And it might take a couple of days to clean up all the trees that downed power lines after last night thunderstorms. I guess those folks have other priorities right now than keeping a DAC powered up w/o interuption.
rolleyes.gif

True that - we had 65MPH gusts in eastern PA yesterday but fortunately, only lost power for a few seconds a couple of times during the storm.  The UPSs did their job without issue.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #8,175 of 9,484
  IMO, running a dedicated line to your gear separating it from electrically noisy devices found in most homes is likely to have far more value at a lower cost then most of the other options being discussed here.

Add in a UPS and the vast majority of people will have all of the power quality and protection needed.

yep, start with dedicated lines.  It makes a big difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back