New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 15, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #8,072 of 9,484
Ok thanks. I take it there's no harm then. Good to know. What about if the laptop is running before connecting the USB cable to the always running Yiggy? I like to set up my player and files in the laptop from a more comfortable position before I plug the DAC's USB cable to it. I guess there should not be any issues this way either, correct?

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #8,073 of 9,484
Ok thanks. I take it there's no harm then. Good to know. What about if the laptop is running before connecting the USB cable to the always running Yiggy? I like to set up my player and files in the laptop from a more comfortable position before I plug the DAC's USB cable to it. I guess there should not be any issues this way either, correct?

Since the idea of keeping digital devices on 24/7 is not a new one (Audioquest put out a white paper about this some time ago), I keep my pc in "sleep" mode when not in use. It continues to provide 5v to my bel canto mlink, and I leave the Bifrost on. I plan to do the same when Yggy arrives.

Plugging and unplugging the usb cable simply shuts off the 5v usb power and breaks the connection, not causing any problems.

If I'm going to be away several days, I go ahead and turn everything off.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #8,074 of 9,484
  I strongely advise you to listen to both before you order anyof them :

In short way these 2 dacs are the best under 4k$ :

Yggy dac : natural presentation , very good resolution,detail and and micro detail up to you face ( you can hear them very clearly ) , harshness with some old records due to its truthfulness ,very

unique ability to produce soundstage , play instruments very well , crystal clear .only pcm / no dsd .

Hugo dac/amp : liquid smooth presentation, detail and micro detail but not in you face , very good imaging , rich sound, 3d soundstage ,no fatigue ,special ability to let old record sound way better .

play both pcm and dsd .

If this is your first high end dac,you will be very pleased with both . Believe me they are different in presentation , BUT the dac who draw you to your music is the clear winner .

It's like Lcd 3 (hugo ) vs (yggy )hd800 : which one you prefer ?? that's up to you :
I prefer Hugo and lcd 3  .

I own yggy for 4 days then sold it to my cousin and hugo for more than 6 months sold it too.

there is better dac but it will cost you alot .

Thank you for your valuable input since I can't find any comparison anywhere. My current setup is Hugo and HD800 and I love the sound very much, just like you said there's enough detail but not in your face, very smooth and enjoyable. The reason I asked is to see if the Yggy is a step up from Hugo and if it is, I would like to upgrade. From your impressions, it sounds to me that their performance are on the same level and the main difference is how they present music. If that's the case, then I will be happy with my current setup.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #8,075 of 9,484

I just snapped the photo below of my living room HT.  Find the Yggdrasil. 
biggrin.gif

I wanted a black one, so I made mine black with some stick-on black vinyl.  It's on the bottom right on top of the Belkin power conditioner.

Yeah, I hate how Schiit doesn't generally offer black since all my other stuff is black.  It would look even better black anodized.  Time to head down to the local anodizing shop again. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #8,076 of 9,484

Thank you for your valuable input since I can't find any comparison anywhere. My current setup is Hugo and HD800 and I love the sound very much, just like you said there's enough detail but not in your face, very smooth and enjoyable. The reason I asked is to see if the Yggy is a step up from Hugo and if it is, I would like to upgrade. From your impressions, it sounds to me that their performance are on the same level and the main difference is how they present music. If that's the case, then I will be happy with my current setup.

It is important to note that the Yggy requires 10 days or so to reach it's full sonic potential, and the review you got is from someone who sold his Yggy after 4 days. I would caution you about accepting this review as the sole basis of a purchasing decision. In fact, as an Yggy owner I'd suggest you get one and run it for 12 days, then compare it to your Hugo.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #8,077 of 9,484

It was very thin sounding on my rig when I first plugged it in and I would not recommend it, especially for the money, if it sounds that way every time it's unplugged an hour or more and then restarted.  What I cannot offer is what it does sound like after a long burn-in and then turn it off for over an hour and then on again.  Said another way, I do not know if the thermal equalization process is faster after the initial burn-in as I have yet to turn mine off since it arrived two and a half weeks ago.  If it sounds the same as at first power-up, and you plan on turning it off each time you are done listening to it/leaving your abode, I would not recommend spending $2300 on it.  You can do better for a lot less money IMO.

Good luck with your search.

HS

HS-

Schiit clearly says… Yggy should be left on 24/7…. I think all DACs should be, perhaps unless they're tube based..

I am VERY unfamiliar w/ DACs in this price range, however a few have been brought over to compare...

Not that I'm in the market at this price range, however I'd love to know what DACs you think are "better for a lot less money" !!!!  Do tell !

David

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #8,078 of 9,484

HS-

Schiit clearly says… Yggy should be left on 24/7…. I think all DACs should be, perhaps unless they're tube based..

I am VERY unfamiliar w/ DACs in this price range, however a few have been brought over to compare...

Not that I'm in the market at this price range, however I'd love to know what DACs you think are "better for a lot less money" !!!!  Do tell !

David

Wino,

Did you see the post I responded to?  The quoted passage of mine is out of context without it.  The member indicated they were uncomfortable leaving their DAC on all the time and asked if it made sense to purchase / use the ygg.  So my point was, if you are going to shut the ygg off every time you leave for work, as an example, and if the ygg sounds like mine did when I first plugged it in (mine has not been turned off in three and a half weeks and I could not say what it sounds like after it's been off a while and then turned back on), then I suggested his money would be better spent elsewhere.

That was my response to the gent.  Personally, both the DAC in my Woo WA7 and my Beresford Caiman MkII sounded better than my ygg when I first plugged it in.  The ygg made my TH900's and my Stax SR-007A's sound extremely thin...lacking in depth and any oomph down low.  That changed with time as the unit reached thermal stabilization, burn-in, whatever one would like to refer to it as.

Did you sell your ygg already?

HS

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #8,079 of 9,484
This is a timely post for me as I am at day 10 and will be away next week so I need to make a decision this weekend.

HELP!
I am hoping those who have their Yggy for a month or more now can give me some feedback to help me out. I love everything about they Yggy except that I am still hearing that glassy/steely treble which can get a bit fatiguing. Does this continue to dissipate/smooth over over the next few weeks? I have seen posts saying sound continues to improve for 400 hours or so.

The sound that I hear (described in some of my other posts as well) is not exactly sibilance as I think of that more as accentuating the "S" sound. This seems to be a little bit different (higher) frequency - more the frequency of someone wheezing - hopefully that makes sense to someone other than me. It definitely improved over the first 10 days. I did hear the other major improvements at day 7 or so as everyone else described. 

So here are my questions - does/did anyone else hear this and did it dissipate over time and if so - how long did it take?

If nobody else is hearing it, maybe it is something else in my system. Yesterday I tried connecting Yggy to other components. My quick comment on that is I felt I was hearing the sound of the other components for the most part - my Jolida tube integrated sounded tubey for instance and less resolving - but on all three sets of components I could still make out the treble sound of concern. I am probably a bit over sensitive to it now having gone through the crazy burn in period and maybe just need a listening break. I also disconnected the sub as I think the extra bass was bothering my ears and I did not have the time to mess with the sub settings to get it right. The only other components I have not switched out are speakers and speaker cables. At this point, I don't need a lot of improvement in the treble area to be thrilled, but if that improvement is not coming it is something I would like to consider when making a  keep vs send back decision. Although I am leaning toward keep anyway because the rest of the magic is so impressive I would be inclined to see if better component matching might help.

The "glassy/steely treble" you're hearing dos NOT go away… if you leave the Yggy as is… and depending on your ancillary gear… 

Yes, the sound continues to improve, however this is w/ the Yggy being the least expensive piece of gear, incl. cables, except for a few PCs….

I however, in my system, DO NOT find it fatiguing at all… just detail driven, slightly thin & lacking a higher degree of analog flow… I strongly suggest you get other things in the system right, such as polishing/cleaning all connections on both ends.. also a Digital PC for Yggy… also feet/footers...

More than likely fuses, though I haven't tried yet...

Not sure what's better up to 5K..

David

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #8,080 of 9,484
  I strongely advise you to listen to both before you order anyof them :

In short way these 2 dacs are the best under 4k$ :

Yggy dac : natural presentation , very good resolution,detail and and micro detail up to you face ( you can hear them very clearly ) , harshness with some old records due to its truthfulness ,very

unique ability to produce soundstage , play instruments very well , crystal clear .only pcm / no dsd .

Hugo dac/amp : liquid smooth presentation, detail and micro detail but not in you face , very good imaging , rich sound, 3d soundstage ,no fatigue ,special ability to let old record sound way better .

play both pcm and dsd .

If this is your first high end dac,you will be very pleased with both . Believe me they are different in presentation , BUT the dac who draw you to your music is the clear winner .

It's like Lcd 3 (hugo ) vs (yggy )hd800 : which one you prefer ?? that's up to you :
I prefer Hugo and lcd 3  .

I own yggy for 4 days then sold it to my cousin and hugo for more than 6 months sold it too.

there is better dac but it will cost you alot .

Don't mean to sound rude…. you couldn't possibly have really heard the Yggy in 4 days… it takes far longer that 2 weeks to break-in… I'm curious what you mean by "natural presentation" please ?

imo, the Yggy DOES NOT sound like a very high-end turntable… it DOES sound like digital… it is detail forward…  it is also NOT fatiguing… It DOES NOT kill DACs over 10K+ as the hyper fanboys suggest… why/how would it ?

It is fantastic w/ very good ancillary gear & a great digital PC & on proper footers...

David

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #8,081 of 9,484

Wino,

Did you see the post I responded to?  The quoted passage of mine is out of context without it.  The member indicated they were uncomfortable leaving their DAC on all the time and asked if it made sense to purchase / use the ygg.  So my point was, if you are going to shut the ygg off every time you leave for work, as an example, and if the ygg sounds like mine did when I first plugged it in (mine has not been turned off in three and a half weeks and I could not say what it sounds like after it's been off a while and then turned back on), then I suggested his money would be better spent elsewhere.

That was my response to the gent.  Personally, both the DAC in my Woo WA7 and my Beresford Caiman MkII sounded better than my ygg when I first plugged it in.  The ygg made my TH900's and my Stax SR-007A's sound extremely thin...lacking in depth and any oomph down low.  That changed with time as the unit reached thermal stabilization, burn-in, whatever one would like to refer to it as.

Did you sell your ygg already?

HS

Sorry HS… didn't see that other stuff..

You're right… good points-

Had about ten tire kickers, offers & a 'fake' offer I accepted… though still have it...

On the positive side… I think she continues to sound great & is definitely better w/ 'tweaks'… a Shunyata Digital PC, footers & polishing/cleaning connections/ICs surrounding...

Still didn't try fuse or a XLR/RCA adapter… I understand they're huge..

David

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #8,082 of 9,484

Sorry HS… didn't see that other stuff..

You're right… good points-

Had about ten tire kickers, offers & a 'fake' offer I accepted… though still have it...

On the positive side… I think she continues to sound great & is definitely better w/ 'tweaks'… a Shunyata Digital PC, footers & polishing/cleaning connections/ICs surrounding...

Still didn't try fuse or a XLR/RCA adapter… I understand they're huge..

David

I dislike selling stuff, David.  Sorry that has not been easier.  The world continues to change and, I fear, not for the better.  Hope you end up in a great place with your ygg....whether you keep or sell.  

I have enjoyed mine quite a bit.  It is different than I expected but very enjoyable on both my e-stat and dynamic setups.  If the impending weather shuts the power off, I'll learn what a restart does to the sound.  Should prove an interesting experiment.

Sam

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #8,083 of 9,484

Don't mean to sound rude…. you couldn't possibly have really heard the Yggy in 4 days… it takes far longer that 2 weeks to break-in… I'm curious what you mean by "natural presentation" please ?

imo, the Yggy DOES NOT sound like a very high-end turntable… it DOES sound like digital… it is detail forward…  it is also NOT fatiguing… It DOES NOT kill DACs over 10K+ as the hyper fanboys suggest… why/how would it ?

It is fantastic w/ very good ancillary gear & a great digital PC & on proper footers...

David

Agooh, hasn't had a Yggy, or at least it seems that way, look for page 527, 528, 529. He looks like a troll, but people keep buying what he writes, cause memory is fragile and not everyone has seen his posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back