New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 12, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #8,041 of 9,484
  people,
While on the subject of these DAC chips - can I ask what are they used for by people other than Schiit? I saw references of military uses but I can't see how you can guide  a missile with a 7-day warmup period...?

You know, all this hand wringing and fretting about leaving the YGGY on all the time is very amusing, your AC, Washer and Dryer, Refrigerator all use more power in a day than the YGGY will use in a year. No you will not leave the polar bears homeless, flood the coasts, or cause the next Katrina if you leave your Yggy's powered all the time
wink_face.gif

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #8,042 of 9,484
  people,
While on the subject of these DAC chips - can I ask what are they used for by people other than Schiit? I saw references of military uses but I can't see how you can guide  a missile with a 7-day warmup period...?

They're used a lot in medical imaging.  See link from digikey.  
I don't know about this specific one for military applications.  Those applications require accuracy and R2R achieve that.  There is a document on accuracy versus resolution on link too.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AD5791BRUZ/AD5791BRUZ-ND/2606881

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #8,043 of 9,484

You know, all this hand wringing and fretting about leaving the YGGY on all the time is very amusing, your AC, Washer and Dryer, Refrigerator all use more power in a day than the YGGY will use in a year. No you will not leave the polar bears homeless, flood the coasts, or cause the next Katrina if you leave your Yggy's powered all the time
wink_face.gif

Thanks mate,
This wasn't an environmental question just a curiosity about the chip's military service claims.

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #8,045 of 9,484
  That said, the concern about the 'break-in' period ballooning to exceed the 15-day return period is nearly coming to pass.

Quote:
  DISCLAIMER: No idea if this was a one-time thing and/or if they've since changed their policy.
When I originally purchased the Gungnir, I didn't feel like 15 days was enough and after politely asking to extend the period, they agreed to let me use it for a few more days. In the end I did return it as I decided it wasn't a break in issue, but just one of the product not agreeing with me. That being said, I did also purchase a Mjolnir, Modi, and Magni at the same time (which I kept), so they probably guessed that I was an actual customer and not someone looking to abuse the trial period. Interestingly enough, they turned a somewhat negative experience (wasted time, out my restocking fee, shipping, etc) into a very positive one in terms of my outlook on the company and my likelihood to purchase from them in the future.

This is a timely post for me as I am at day 10 and will be away next week so I need to make a decision this weekend.

HELP!
I am hoping those who have their Yggy for a month or more now can give me some feedback to help me out. I love everything about they Yggy except that I am still hearing that glassy/steely treble which can get a bit fatiguing. Does this continue to dissipate/smooth over over the next few weeks? I have seen posts saying sound continues to improve for 400 hours or so.

The sound that I hear (described in some of my other posts as well) is not exactly sibilance as I think of that more as accentuating the "S" sound. This seems to be a little bit different (higher) frequency - more the frequency of someone wheezing - hopefully that makes sense to someone other than me. It definitely improved over the first 10 days. I did hear the other major improvements at day 7 or so as everyone else described. 

So here are my questions - does/did anyone else hear this and did it dissipate over time and if so - how long did it take?

If nobody else is hearing it, maybe it is something else in my system. Yesterday I tried connecting Yggy to other components. My quick comment on that is I felt I was hearing the sound of the other components for the most part - my Jolida tube integrated sounded tubey for instance and less resolving - but on all three sets of components I could still make out the treble sound of concern. I am probably a bit over sensitive to it now having gone through the crazy burn in period and maybe just need a listening break. I also disconnected the sub as I think the extra bass was bothering my ears and I did not have the time to mess with the sub settings to get it right. The only other components I have not switched out are speakers and speaker cables. At this point, I don't need a lot of improvement in the treble area to be thrilled, but if that improvement is not coming it is something I would like to consider when making a  keep vs send back decision. Although I am leaning toward keep anyway because the rest of the magic is so impressive I would be inclined to see if better component matching might help.

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #8,046 of 9,484

I also have a Jolida tube amp(502?) I have neutral sounding tubes and running NHT super zero's with sub. Using a Cardas clear USB cable, after one week of burn in, I have absolutely no glare or harsh treble as I had out of the box. The Yggy pairs REALLY well with my Koss 950 Headphones. In my system, the treble is just clearer and mor "ting" My bass is very well integrated with the super zero's and sounds like one speaker together. There is no heavy bass unless the source has it. I have both a Meridian director and gunguir dac that I have been using to compare. the Yggy is CLEAR superior to both in my system. As been said, I no longer hear a dac, just music.

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #8,047 of 9,484
  Thanks mate,
This wasn't an environmental question just a curiosity about the chip's military service claims.

No, I wasn't commenting on your Post particularly, more all the previous ones about, "this not being the DAC for them" and a few others. No disrespect intended Mate.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #8,050 of 9,484
Jun 12, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #8,051 of 9,484
Yggy Temperatures:
Top of YGGY Temp:     96F-101F (depending on which warm point is measured)
Bottom of YGGY:         91F (average within 1 degree depending on point measured).
Environment:
Outside Temp:               94F.
Room Temp:                 78F.
Air space: Surrounded on Left/Right/Top/Bottom sides with air space of only 1/8" to 3/4". Rear air space is 6" and front is 20'.
Running time: Over one month
Current state: Playing music last 5 hours.
Temperature Measurements Device: Mastercool 52224-A
Now Playing: Pink Floyd playlist.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #8,052 of 9,484
  Yggy Temperatures:
Top of YGGY Temp:     96F-101F (depending on which warm point is measured)
Running time: Over one month

That's consistent with mine. I get 105°F at it's hottest point. Having a 130°F Ragnarok immediately above probably accounts for the difference.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #8,053 of 9,484
  I'm very interested in how the Yggy compared to Chord Hugo, anyone with any impressions?

I strongely advise you to listen to both before you order anyof them :

In short way these 2 dacs are the best under 4k$ :

Yggy dac : natural presentation , very good resolution,detail and and micro detail up to you face ( you can hear them very clearly ) , harshness with some old records due to its truthfulness ,very

unique ability to produce soundstage , play instruments very well , crystal clear .only pcm / no dsd .

Hugo dac/amp : liquid smooth presentation, detail and micro detail but not in you face , very good imaging , rich sound, 3d soundstage ,no fatigue ,special ability to let old record sound way better .

play both pcm and dsd .

If this is your first high end dac,you will be very pleased with both . Believe me they are different in presentation , BUT the dac who draw you to your music is the clear winner .

It's like Lcd 3 (hugo ) vs (yggy )hd800 : which one you prefer ?? that's up to you :
I prefer Hugo and lcd 3  .

I own yggy for 4 days then sold it to my cousin and hugo for more than 6 months sold it too.

there is better dac but it will cost you alot .

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #8,054 of 9,484
slightly off-topic, but since the hugo was brought up. I recently had an opportunity to expensively demo it with music and headphones I am very intimately familiar with. I won't spoil how I felt about it, but just curious if any owners of both can PM me their personal findings on the relative differences.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #8,055 of 9,484

Some more details please:
- examples of recordings you're hearing this with
- amp(s) used
- cables
- headphones

The Yggdrasil is very detailed. Sibilant recordings will sound sibilant. This is perfectly normal and always the price to pay for better accuracy and resolution combined with less impressive recordings or other rig elements. But I am interested to hear the same recordings and relate to your actual gear if I can, to understand better where you're coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back