New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #8,026 of 9,484
  Placed order #400000347 for Yggdrasil & Wyrd on schiit-europe.com. Now the wait begins...

Welcome to the Schiit Club!

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #8,027 of 9,484
Well I urge you to listen to the Bricasti M1...

Sorry - it's a Sigma-Delta DAC..,

Thats good to know regardless of what it is.
It is good to know what are other top dacs out there
:)

LOL, I've heard modern tube DACs with harsh treble.

What would be interesting might be to replace the FETs on the Yggy with a tube buffer. That is a proper tube implementation that doesn't color the sound in tubey way. Maybe a low gain tube with a high quality transformer (no caps in signal path). I may try it in my spare time. Don't try this at home. Voids warranty. I don't want Jason @ Co. blaming me for other people being stupid or killing themselves with high voltage.

I was actually thinking the same thing, since it's only running a buffer on the output anyways, and not a gain stage.  But who knows, being modular, perhaps they'll release a tube buffer on their own eventually.  I'm saving up for an Yggy myself now.  Making due with a Modi + iUSB which is actually surprisingly decent, given the transparency of the rest of my chain.

This is very good news to point out,
About the fact that its mainly a buffer and not a gain stage...

Makes the possibility more viable,
For those that choose to void their warantee! Lol

...The solid state transparency hyper detail lovers should hope the yggy never has tubes involved in the "mix".....there's slight "high's and low" roll off in tubes stripping the over emphasized characteristics so many are listeners/hobbyists are accustomed too in the solid state world. 

Haha!
IM going to disagree here..
Lesser & older tube components can add harmonic distortion of even order which may be pleasant to ear, BUT
Solid state delivers its own distortion and worse, loses micro detailing thru higher feedback,
Plus alot other parameters , way more other areas than simple THD distortion figures, which is mainly for marketing ploy.

My friends EC2a3 dynamic impact can change your mind,
And my own LDMk8se can show you 3d breath and air you will not find on most solid state (except hybrids)
:p

I don't particularly like a "warm and tubey" sound, but the main attribute that this amp has that seems missing from most solid states I've tried is the rendition of acoustic space...

This..!
Tubes preserve the acoustic space BETTER than other devices..
:p

Placed order #400000347 for Yggdrasil & Wyrd on schiit-europe.com. Now the wait begins...

Congradulations on attaining your schiitt

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #8,028 of 9,484
Update on Ragnarok and Yggdrasil:

When will our next batch of Yggys ship?  We were hoping for the end of June.  Now, it is looking more like July.  Our supplier has had a one month shipping delay for the AD5791 DAC chip, which is pretty much the heart of the Yggy.  The delay is outside of our control.  We have worked to shorten the delay by working with alternate suppliers but this chip isn’t widely used and there aren’t piles of them sitting around in a warehouse waiting for a buyer.  Our best estimate at this point is second week of July.  Our hope is that it will occur earlier than that.  I apologize for the delay.  We’ll let people know when we are ready to ship.

The Ragnarok line is churning and the first units came off the line today.  We will start shipping some back orders tomorrow.  We have about half of the staff working on the Ragnarok line and we will be turning out units as quickly as we can.  If you have a Ragnarok on back order with one of our international distributors, we will be shipping units to them over the next two weeks and hope to fill all of their orders.  We expect that all of our back orders will be cleared in the next three weeks. 

Both Ragnarok and Yggdrasil are intricate, complex products with hundreds of parts supplied by companies from all around the world.  Producing these units is a logistical challenge and we are implementing practices that will help reduce future delays.  We thank all of our customers for their patience.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #8,029 of 9,484
Thank you for the update Alex, and for giving clear timelines based on where things stand right now. Since I am waiting for a Ragnarok I am happy to hear all hands are on deck to get them built right and shipped as they are ready.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #8,030 of 9,484
Thanks for the update, makes it easier to plan around eg. organising cables, matching amplifier etc.  

Glad to hear you guys are busy.  Just wish I ordered sooner lol.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #8,032 of 9,484
  That said, the concern about the 'break-in' period ballooning to exceed the 15-day return period is nearly coming to pass.

DISCLAIMER: No idea if this was a one-time thing and/or if they've since changed their policy.
When I originally purchased the Gungnir, I didn't feel like 15 days was enough and after politely asking to extend the period, they agreed to let me use it for a few more days. In the end I did return it as I decided it wasn't a break in issue, but just one of the product not agreeing with me. That being said, I did also purchase a Mjolnir, Modi, and Magni at the same time (which I kept), so they probably guessed that I was an actual customer and not someone looking to abuse the trial period. Interestingly enough, they turned a somewhat negative experience (wasted time, out my restocking fee, shipping, etc) into a very positive one in terms of my outlook on the company and my likelihood to purchase from them in the future.

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #8,033 of 9,484
  Update on Ragnarok and Yggdrasil:

When will our next batch of Yggys ship?  We were hoping for the end of June.  Now, it is looking more like July.  Our supplier has had a one month shipping delay for the AD5791 DAC chip, which is pretty much the heart of the Yggy.  The delay is outside of our control.  We have worked to shorten the delay by working with alternate suppliers but this chip isn’t widely used and there aren’t piles of them sitting around in a warehouse waiting for a buyer.  Our best estimate at this point is second week of July.  Our hope is that it will occur earlier than that.  I apologize for the delay.  We’ll let people know when we are ready to ship.

I was thinking of being a smartass and check mouser etc for the AD5791. There really was none available. 
blink.gif

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #8,035 of 9,484

Digikey has 184 in stock.  So close.

But what would the price a Digikey be compared to the bulk price that Schiit probably gets from their normal supplier?it would probably drive up the cost of the Yggy, and they might not want to do that to customers.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #8,036 of 9,484

But what would the price a Digikey be compared to the bulk price that Schiit probably gets from their normal supplier?it would probably drive up the cost of the Yggy, and they might not want to do that to customers.

Haven't the foggiest.  They do bulk pricing.  I'm sure the Schiit guys have a solid supplier and good pricing on bulk orders.  These things happen.  The MRI design guys are probably pissed now that M & J are buying up all their product.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #8,037 of 9,484

Haven't the foggiest.  They do bulk pricing.  I'm sure the Schiit guys have a solid supplier and good pricing on bulk orders.  These things happen.  The MRI design guys are probably pissed now that M & J are buying up all their product.

Good point about the MRI guys, that has to be a bit strange for everyone involved.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #8,038 of 9,484

Good point about the MRI guys, that has to be a bit strange for everyone involved.

Given this is a specialty DAC, I wouldn't be surprised if the price went up given the sudden increase in demand (1000 per batch of 250 Yggys).  I dunno.  I'm glad I have mine.  I hope more people get to experience the awesomeness soon.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #8,039 of 9,484
people,
While on the subject of these DAC chips - can I ask what are they used for by people other than Schiit? I saw references of military uses but I can't see how you can guide  a missile with a 7-day warmup period...?

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #8,040 of 9,484
  people,
While on the subject of these DAC chips - can I ask what are they used for by people other than Schiit? I saw references of military uses but I can't see how you can guide  a missile with a 7-day warmup period...?

Apparently also by medical equipment. And think about it, warming up takes a long time in a dac, but when it's strapped to a few hundred pounds of high explosives propelled by more high explosives, it probably heats up a lot quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back