New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #7,456 of 9,484
IMHO, there are two types of conditioning thresholds with the Yggy, based on everyone's description of its behavior. The first, is the expected burn-in process, typical of most electronic boards and electromechanical components setup in an integrated interactive process. This is just temporary and will settle down once it arrives to burn-in steady-state.

The other condition is the fixed period of time the component with the highest thermal demands arrives at steady-state. This is the time threshold that ensures the whole system is at its best and unfortunately is a fixed condition, unlikely to change over time, contrary to the burn-in process. At this stage, all components are at their best, because the bottleneck has met all other components' conditions of steady-state. Steady-state here means the behavior of the component has reached the performance plateau which was expected by the designer.

Unfortunately, applying an external heat source to the device would not accelerate meeting this second requirement, as heat here is only a consequence of a process going on internally that conveys to steady-state. In other words, its not a heat requirement, but heat is a consequence of operational requirements. Just my own opinion.

Can any Yggy owner confirm the stock XLR pin configuration (3 or 4 pins)? Is it a male or a female? Thanks!

May 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #7,458 of 9,484
  You make a great point-

I will tell you, in Barr's system & more so in mine… the MSB Analog DAC imo, does NOT give up any detail to the Yggy… it just offers up a slightly less crystalline way of doing so-  Also a bit more analog flow and 'meat on the bones'...

Keep in mind, this is also w/ the NEW Quad Rate USB module that is being raved about… itself a 1600.00 add on...

I suspect that the Yggy may also benefit from 400+ hrs of break-in, like my buddy found on the Bifrost..

David

I have tested the normal usb input and quad usb input side by side. The quad usb makes a huge difference in sound quality. More than I expected. There is simply more sound with it. 

May 14, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #7,461 of 9,484

A good UPS should address both in addition to providing backup power.

I'd be interested to see what brand and model that would provide power conditioning remotely close to my Blue circle GICPO and my other BC power conditioning products.

Just like any product there's always different forms of capabilities. I would imagine an inexpensive $800 UPS couldn't even be remotely close to a dedicated BC power conditioning unit as far as SQ is concerned. 

May 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #7,462 of 9,484
I'd be interested to see what brand and model that would provide power conditioning remotely close to my Blue circle GICPO and my other BC power conditioning products.

Just like any product there's always different forms of capabilities. I would imagine an inexpensive $800 UPS couldn't even be remotely close to a dedicated BC power conditioning unit as far as SQ is concerned. 

So far as I understand, 60 Hz sine wave isn't music, and that's all a power conditioner/UPS needs to give ya. :p

May 14, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #7,464 of 9,484
Even with the most pristine sine wave, if your component's ac/dc conversion sucks, your system will suck. What a good ups sine wave generator does give you is far less high frequency harmonics and voltage fluctuations that can eek through the recitifer(s) in your component. So it is helpful. Some components are more sensitive to voltage fluctuations. I think Schiit has us covered and has gobs of filtering and rect and chokes to keep you working fine even in abberant power conditions. What wouldn't be a bad idea down the road is for them to offer external DC supplies for even better regulation. This I've seen in a few hifi product lines in the past. A DC supply for multiple components with proprietary connection. I'd buy one.

May 14, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #7,465 of 9,484
Hi I've been lurking this tread for a while and decided to join.
At first i wanted to wait for more independent reviews on the Yggy but i didn't really expect any soon (if at all) so i just went ahead and ordered one last week when i saw it became a available at the European distributor. i will have to wait atleast till the beginning of June if not longer.

I do have some questions and maybe people can chime in if they know. I haven't seen the answers in the previous pages but since its so many it could be i missed some. If that is the case my apologies.

1) Does the build in USB board use any of the 5v of the usb line or would it still work if there is no 5v?

2) Did anyone compare the usb input with an audiophileo spdiff converter?

3) Would be replacing the stock fuse really be consider modding and void your 5 year warranty? (sounds a little odd it would be like changing a power cord)

4)would the uptone audio usb regen make a difference. i saw someone mentioning the device earlier.

lets start with those
cheers!

May 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #7,466 of 9,484
1) Does the build in USB board use any of the 5v of the usb line or would it still work if there is no 5v?

3) Would be replacing the stock fuse really be consider modding and void your 5 year warranty? (sounds a little odd it would be like changing a power cord)

4)would the uptone audio usb regen make a difference. i saw someone mentioning the device earlier.

lets start with those
cheers!

Yes it uses it and will not work without. Hence I suspect it will also be sensitive to 5V power line quality.

I am familiar with the Audiophilleo, Hydra, PUC2Lite, Ifi Ilink. I think the USB input is better than any of these. I had 2-3 of those around at the same time, so I know how they respectively sound to each other, but I no longer have most of those so grain of salt.

From my brief comparison, I think the awesome soundstage and some of the detail level is directly influenced by using the built-in USB interface. Changing the interface however can and will affect presentation. 

May 14, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #7,467 of 9,484

Hey Alan-

What made you choose BC ?  Did you try other conditioners to compare the SQ ?  Their products look very interesting !

David

May 14, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #7,468 of 9,484
So far as I understand, 60 Hz sine wave isn't music, and that's all a power conditioner/UPS needs to give ya.
tongue.gif

There are lots of different approaches to 'conditioning'… they all sound different… have you tried any good ones to observe for yourself ?

May 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #7,469 of 9,484

Yes it uses it and will not work without. Hence I suspect it will also be sensitive to 5V power line quality.

I am familiar with the Audiophilleo, Hydra, PUC2Lite, Ifi Ilink. I think the USB input is better than any of these. I had 2-3 of those around at the same time, so I know how they respectively sound to each other, but I no longer have most of those so grain of salt.

From my brief comparison, I think the awesome soundstage and some of the detail level is directly influenced by using the built-in USB interface. Changing the interface however can and will affect presentation. 

Great answers !  You're on a roll here !  Answer the other two for the lad, haha !!

May 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #7,470 of 9,484
So far as I understand, 60 Hz sine wave isn't music, and that's all a power conditioner/UPS needs to give ya.
tongue.gif

So true 
tongue.gif

My take is that we are listening to a form of electricity. From the power grid to the home's AC wall receptacle, to the power supply in the cd player/media player, to the power supply in the DAC  goes to the amp then to the transducer we put on  our ears/speakers. 

There's all this talk about the benefits of REGEN usb but that's downstream from the wall outlet  and people are raving about the SQ difference. As we know "noise is still noise" The DAC is downstream from the wall outlet and as we all know that not all power supply filteration is the perfect. Clean power is the foundation of what we hear in our speakers/headphones.

No debate against my ears or yours. I can sonically tell the difference from a noisy garbage AC from a dirty power grid. This is why I'll spend just as much $$ on power conditioning as I spend on a DAC.   Lots of higher end audio gear will boast about the amount of capacitance it has for filtration at the power supply. Some companies have dedicated units simply as a power supply to feed a unit. 

Many folks have no idea how much noise a light dimmer switch or air conditioner makes on  your AC in your home. Many apartments are even worst due to a large number of people in one large building.

Most serious  recording studio's to my understanding use isolation transformers for clean AC for their equipment. 

I dont know any quality UPS units that will have advanced filtration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back