New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 12, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #7,321 of 9,484
general reader warning: this may be a long rant and it may not go your way .. don't get all irritated and at least read it before shooting the messenger

Hypemaster, I like that! But only if the hype is deserved.

Are you trying to cement your new HYPEMASTER title!? Cause this one might just be your 'airiest'/emptiest msg ever. And before they start to shoot me for having a somewhat funny/contrary opinion, let's see why I'm saying that: first of all, I seriously doubt there was ever a "deserved" or useful hype ... the (only?) good side of hype is called something like "healthy enthusiasm" ... and IMHO we are all waaay past that point.

I doubt I will be hyping much going forward.

allow me to use a healthy dose of skepticism here ... you now have titles and a reputation to maintain and that takes lots of work :)

Yggy is one of those really great pieces of gear that comes out once a decade or two. Whether other audiophile communities will embrace it, we don't know yet. Supposedly an engineer or two in the studios around here have taken note. I wonder if the big-boy audiophile community will take the Yggy seriously because of Ygg's relatively low cost, Schiit's lack of big advertising spend in the major rags like Stereophile or TAS, or Schiit's roots in the headphone audiophile community.

It's waaaay too early to talk about decades ... unless you meant the original (old greek/latin) sense of the word which apparently was simply "group of 10" and mostly used as "10 days". But enough about boring history.

Right now we only have a new DAC .. potentially a good one. But it did not even reach the hype levels of the previous 'darling', the Master7. Yes the iggy noise and hype are *MUCH* louder but ppl were selling their DACs in droves after buying the master7 (there was a bit of a mytek-inflation then) and nowadays I only saw one guy who mentioned selling his other DAC ... the others are 'strangely' keeping the their old DACs so up to now, the iggy-wave is all air/words and not much action/facts.
For studio usage, the iggy is missing one very important feature: wordclock support/input .. not a must but may be quite an issue when you have 10 components synced by the same big-studio worldclock device.
As for the "big-boy audiophile community", who cares exactly? :)

The whole paragraph may of course be just another one of your 'messianisms' and I may have to eat my words at some future point .. call me in 2025 about that. And btw, 'detailed prediction' vs 'nope' is not a fair bet so let me give you a fair one: "in 2025 there will be a lot less separate DACs in production .. if any". Let's see who drinks the good beer in 2025! :wink:

HFers should be thankful that they got first dibs on a DAC for a $2400 that bests other DACs costing two to tens times more.

This is where we start to really part ways.
May I remind you of this ?! IMHO, at that time, you had a much more solid opinion about people who use meaningless cliches like "better than many DACs costing several times more". And we don't really know what devices that no good CA 'reviewer' 'tested' but we kinda know what you tested and what everyone around tested against the Iggy... and there is NO "tens times more" device ($22-44-66000!!!) in that list so your statement is just hot air .. and sorry but it smells too. AFAIK, the only compared DAC that may fall into that two-2-tens category was a somewhat lower level MSB Analog which is only a 'lousy' 3x more expensive. And if one searches the thread for 'msb analog' the news are not encouraging. E.g... and I'm pretty sure I remember another guy who compared the Iggy with a MSB and his expensive turntable and found it wanting. I'd say the iggy is currently in a "dream on" phase ... may or may not get any better.

As mentioned a few other times, I am very grateful for the opinions, time, expertise and experience you shared(d) in your DAC threads. Just not a fan of the cool-aid-oil you shared above.

Now we wait for Yggy 2 in 2018.

This might just be your best prediction in this post :)

sooo .. is there a conclusion to all the above?
NO ... too soon ... move along.

May 12, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #7,322 of 9,484
  ok enough hyping this schiit. it won't be the best dac under 3000 $ I'm sure of this , it just have different presentation than hugo and other dacs .

Yeah, you are simply not going to convince anyone who owns the Yggdrasil of this.  This thing is a monster.  I'm certain that you would not make such a declarative statement if you had it in your rig right now.  My bet is that you would have to walk back nearly all the statements you have made in previous posts.  

Anyone can make posts like yours anyway.  Like "There is no way some portable dac like the Hugo can compete with the Yggy".  I can't really say that because I have never heard the Hugo.

May 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #7,323 of 9,484
A question for all the Yggy & Wyrd users out there or for @Baldr - does Wyrd make a difference with Yggy?

May 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #7,324 of 9,484

According to the old saying, either God or the Devil is in the details. Can you have too much of either?

There are two aspects to detail. One is the can-you-tell-that-the-trombone-player-has-a-split-lip subtlety, or the sort of recording where each guitar string gets its own track - presentations you wouldn't ever hear in the real world. Personally, I kind of like that stuff, but then if it's on the recording I want to hear it.

The other aspect is how the component presents all that detail. Ygg (and Rag) both do a great job of giving each event its own space, so that even though a recording may be full of instruments it never seems cluttered or congealed. Just last night I was noticing how small touches that had been easy to overlook were sort of floating in their own layer. Yet neither Rag or Ygg are prone to overemphasize any particular frequency range or type of transient. You can pay attention to, or ignore, details at your discretion. This is a really neat trick that a lot of gear  simply can't do. And I find it addictive.

Also, one thing I noticed immediately about Ygg is the way it allowed me to relax into the music. I compare this to analog presentation, since it gets rid of what many call "digititis," which is so ubiquitous that you almost don't notice it until it's not there any more.

All good points…  I'll have to say from my experience w/ reasonably high-end turntables (30K+), is that the Yggy in my system, reminds me of a strain-guage cartridge… on the hyper detailed side… like very intriguing in the short term (for me), yet ultimately not the same as 'normal' cartridges… either may be your cup of tea…  almost like comparing a glass of red vs a glass of spring water...

This is purely presentation...

David

May 12, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #7,325 of 9,484

Yeah, you are simply not going to convince anyone who owns the Yggdrasil of this.  This thing is a monster.  I'm certain that you would not make such a declarative statement if you had it in your rig right now.  My bet is that you would have to walk back nearly all the statements you have made in previous posts.  

Anyone can make posts like yours anyway.  Like "There is no way some portable dac like the Hugo can compete with the Yggy".  I can't really say that because I have never heard the Hugo.

Interestingly enough he posted some impressions the other day clearly stating that he didn't have one and then miraculously less than 17 hours later he had one.  There are quite a few of us that doubt he really does.  He seems to be a huge proponent for the Hugo, based on my findings in the Hugo thread, and I don't think he is pleased that it appears to be easily bested by another DAC with a similar price point.

May 12, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #7,326 of 9,484
@gulbuddin it's fine to not like a product as long as you explain why you didn't like the product and give evidence to support your decision or thoughts. To help you along let me ask you to answer a few questions:

1. How long have you owned and used the Yggy and in what chain of products?
2. What is it about the Yggy sound presentation do you dislike?
3. What other product(s) are you using as your baseline for good sound?
4. How is the sound of said good product different from the Yggy sound?

I think if you are able to answer these questions your fellow headfiers will have a better understanding of where you are coming from :wink:

And as always, happy listening.

+1 Well said.

May 12, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #7,327 of 9,484
A question for all the Yggy & Wyrd users out there or for @Baldr - does Wyrd make a difference with Yggy?

As with all USB implementations, it's going to be very computer dependent on USB management, drivers, etc. But, Purrin already said it made a difference on his system for the better. Another person said it was for the worse.

May 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #7,328 of 9,484
general reader warning: this may be a long rant and it may not go your way .. don't get all irritated and at least read it before shooting the messenger

Are you trying to cement your new HYPEMASTER title!? Cause this one might just be your 'airiest'/emptiest msg ever. And before they start to shoot me for having a somewhat funny/contrary opinion, let's see why I'm saying that: first of all, I seriously doubt there was ever a "deserved" or useful hype ... the (only?) good side of hype is called something like "healthy enthusiasm" ... and IMHO we are all waaay past that point.

allow me to use a healthy dose of skepticism here ... you now have titles and a reputation to maintain and that takes lots of work
smily_headphones1.gif

It's waaaay too early to talk about decades ... unless you meant the original (old greek/latin) sense of the word which apparently was simply "group of 10" and mostly used as "10 days". But enough about boring history.

Right now we only have a new DAC .. potentially a good one. But it did not even reach the hype levels of the previous 'darling', the Master7. Yes the iggy noise and hype are *MUCH* louder but ppl were selling their DACs in droves after buying the master7 (there was a bit of a mytek-inflation then) and nowadays I only saw one guy who mentioned selling his other DAC ... the others are 'strangely' keeping the their old DACs so up to now, the iggy-wave is all air/words and not much action/facts.
For studio usage, the iggy is missing one very important feature: wordclock support/input .. not a must but may be quite an issue when you have 10 components synced by the same big-studio worldclock device.
As for the "big-boy audiophile community", who cares exactly?
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole paragraph may of course be just another one of your 'messianisms' and I may have to eat my words at some future point .. call me in 2025 about that. And btw, 'detailed prediction' vs 'nope' is not a fair bet so let me give you a fair one: "in 2025 there will be a lot less separate DACs in production .. if any". Let's see who drinks the good beer in 2025!
wink.gif

This is where we start to really part ways.
May I remind you of this ?! IMHO, at that time, you had a much more solid opinion about people who use meaningless cliches like "better than many DACs costing several times more". And we don't really know what devices that no good CA 'reviewer' 'tested' but we kinda know what you tested and what everyone around tested against the Iggy... and there is NO "tens times more" device ($22-44-66000!!!) in that list so your statement is just hot air .. and sorry but it smells too. AFAIK, the only compared DAC that may fall into that two-2-tens category was a somewhat lower level MSB Analog which is only a 'lousy' 3x more expensive. And if one searches the thread for 'msb analog' the news are not encouraging. E.g... and I'm pretty sure I remember another guy who compared the Iggy with a MSB and his expensive turntable and found it wanting. I'd say the iggy is currently in a "dream on" phase ... may or may not get any better.

As mentioned a few other times, I am very grateful for the opinions, time, expertise and experience you shared(d) in your DAC threads. Just not a fan of the cool-aid-oil you shared above.

This might just be your best prediction in this post
smily_headphones1.gif

sooo .. is there a conclusion to all the above?
NO ... too soon ... move along.

Well said !!!  Completely agree !   Thank you for this post !

May 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #7,329 of 9,484
As with all USB implementations, it's going to be very computer dependent on USB management, drivers, etc. But, Purrin already said it made a difference on his system for the better. Another person said it was for the worse.

How can it sound worse? Makes no sense to me...

May 12, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #7,331 of 9,484
How can it sound worse? Makes no sense to me...

Could it be that,he did not follow the directions,about,un-installing,the old drivers?
So,when he downloaded the new Yiggy drivers,everything got screwed up,I'm assuming he is using a Windows computer
Just guessing here.???
In one thread,it was necessary for the user, to completely re-install Windows.

This is one reason,when my Yiggy comes in,I will use my toslink..

Mike

May 12, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #7,332 of 9,484
  One thing all those posts have in common is a great deal of defensiveness, and if you think about it, they probably wouldn't be if they didn't have the same doubts deep in their heart.

Or, if I may propose an alternative explanation: people put their heckles up when somebody swings in and rains on their parade. It's a pretty natural response.

You have several here, myself included, who have welcomed your honest opinion of what is, honestly, just a box of circuits. But please: "doubts deep in their heart"?... why pivot from a subjective opinion about an inanimate object into a personal barb aimed at others? Dude. 

Either way, I had the yggi for 8 days,

YGGY > RAG                         >  HF HE560 (balanced)
              BURSON SOLOIST  > ALPHA DOG (se)

What takes the place of your Yg? Also, how are you enjoying the 560s of the 'Rok? I have the same pairing an enjoy it, but find myself torn between the gain settings.

May 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #7,333 of 9,484

I am curious about this too. would appreciate an official response :) thanks

May 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #7,334 of 9,484
Either Yggy is still breaking in (about 260+ hrs w/ dynamic music playing), or she takes over 48 hrs to recover from being off an hour..

Or both, haha...

May 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #7,335 of 9,484
my pal has his Yggy arrive, along with the Regen (Green) I lent him.
problem is his Yggy isn't warmed up yet- and his computer source, split cables and LPS are already delivering super clean signal to Yggy's USB receiver.
so there's not much expectation (from him) of Regen making a big difference in his chain.  and thus Wyrd likely wouldn't either.
he also tested, but didn't think Regen helped his Gungnir much- but for me, it did.
(ie.  I don't have LPS, split USB cables, or a clean source just a stock iMac, etc.)

if his time/testing changes I'll report back here.
the Wyrd/Regen results are very chain specific so guidance from others will not be a solid indicator IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back