New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 7, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #6,931 of 9,484

yeah, while we both know that, it seems like people are too lazy to click on the links we've both provided.

Thanks for the effort but there is no answer in those links. The first two are very generic 'some people say' statements ... some of us pefer sound science and controlled tests to ears.. or, at the very least, we wanna 'hear' that side too. And the third link, while it contains some good tech tips about components who need warm-up, it is somewhat unclear about burn-in ... also contains nothing that would explain the presumed 5 days warmup.

Not sure what you guys think you "know" but pls stop reposting those links cause that's not what was asked.

May 7, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #6,932 of 9,484
Thanks but there is no answer in those links. The first two are very generic 'some people say' statements ... and the third, while it contains some good tech tips about components who need warm-up, it is somewhat unclear about burn-in ... also contains nothing that would explain the presumed 5 days warmup.

Not sure what you guys think you "know" but pls stop reposting those links cause it's not what was asked.

I'm not sure what you're wanting out of Mike, but why don't you compile a very specific and detailed list of questions (that, in my opinion, is a very stupid thing to worry about), and we'll see if he has the time to answer them. Especially considering what was asked is answered in those posts, and I'm not sure how you can say otherwise. The first two aren't even generic some people say, they're very much  Mike's own opinion. So.

May 7, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #6,933 of 9,484
I'm not sure what you're wanting out of Mike, but why don't you compile a very specific and detailed list of questions (that, in my opinion, is a very stupid thing to worry about), and we'll see if he has the time to answer them. Especially considering what was asked is answered in those posts, and I'm not sure how you can say otherwise. The first two aren't even generic some people say, they're very much  Mike's own opinion. So.

Hm ... you are not sure what was asked but you are sure you know the answers ... that sounds pretty funny to me.
Anyway, thx for making extra noise and highlighting the questions again.

May 7, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #6,934 of 9,484
Hm ... you are not sure what was asked but you are sure you know the answers ... that sounds pretty funny to me.
Anyway, thx for making extra noise and highlighting the questions again.

I know what was asked, I'm asking you if you want Mike to personally chisel the answer in stone in front of you?

but hey,

Quote:
Baldr said:

YMMV.

Oh, I forgot – YMMV.

And did I say, YMMV.

May 7, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #6,935 of 9,484
Just to be clear and avoid more thread noise, the main questions:

1. Burn-in. What is Schiit's position, is this a real phenomenon with a solid scientific/technical base or a marketing ears-burnin scheme ? Or a combo of both .. or ...

2. Warm-up. Is there a solid scientifical/technical explanation for the 4-5 days of warmup that most people assume are needed for the iggy or it's all about ears? Or maybe more clear: is there a well-known & tested warmup duration for iggy or we should just use our ears?

3. Does iggy need an initial burnin phase (i.e. audio signal through) or a simple warm-up is enough? Any (proven) hints about the duration or it's just another subjective matter of ears/equipment/etc?

Direct answers from schiit are of course prefered. But any answer which does not include ears is highly welcome.. or at least not a single pair of ears.

P.S.
those (or very similar) questions were asked several times by several people and mine is just an attempt to summarize/clarify. If I got anything wrong, someone pls correct me.. or just put everything in better words.

May 7, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #6,938 of 9,484
Why don't you PM Mike instead? That should result in a faster response which you can then share with us chickens here. That way you also avoid thread angst.

You are right, there seems to be a lot of strange angst against asking questions around here.
As mentioned those are (mostly) not my questions and I'm pretty sure that everyone would prefer a direct & clear answer to my relayed PMs. Plus, I dont see any problem with those public Qs and certainly did not expect so much funny noise about em.
Anyway, too late now...we'll see how it goes.

May 7, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #6,939 of 9,484
Folks,

As I have previously opined, I believe in the value of burning in any D/A converter I have ever designed, especially multibit ones.  Elsewhere I have described physical changes that occur in passive components, which are part and parcel delta-sigma as well as multibit DACs.  In addition, there are temperature dependent linearity errors primarily proper to multibit DACs in particular.

I can testify that I have heard differences in D/A converter products as they warm-up (that is, without signal).  These differences seem to minimize as time accumulates on them.

It has never occurred to me to break-in (with signal present) any purely electronic audio device.  However, it makes total sense to me and I practice the break-in of transducers (speakers, headphones, microphones, and cartridges).  I also hear clear differences in those devices as they break-in.

Perhaps other readers may share any benefit due to the break-in of pure electronic devices.  I have no experience in such experiments and therefore have no opinions or findings to share.  Any comment on my part on such practice would be pure speculation.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 7, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #6,940 of 9,484
A bit off topic but why are the thumbs up responses anonymous now? I think that defeats the whole point, no?

May 7, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #6,942 of 9,484
  I don't think so Joeezp. Yggy is on the same league as Hugo so MSB still better than both but by small margin .

That's based on what amount/kind of exposure Yggy and MSB?  I see you own the Hugo.  Thanks.

May 7, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #6,943 of 9,484
  I don't think so Joeezp. Yggy is on the same league as Hugo so MSB still better than both but by small margin .

Who ever said that Yggy was in the same league as the Hugo? Purrin has explicitly stated that the Yggy sounds better to him than DACs higher on MSB's range than the Analog DAC.

May 7, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #6,944 of 9,484
I have seen transistor datasheets showing electrical properties changing with the temperature. So yes, warm um is known and measurable.
As for breaking in, even electronic components such as capacitors change during first weeks/months, more in the beginning less in the end, but this I have not seen measurements.
/Off topic.

May 7, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #6,945 of 9,484
  Who ever said that Yggy was in the same league as the Hugo? Purrin has explicitly stated that the Yggy sounds better to him than DACs higher on MSB's range than the Analog DAC.

Yes I even heard many people said that hugo is better than MSB but in reality it's not . I tested both of them : MSB is step up above both Yggy and Hugo .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back