New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 6, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #6,901 of 9,484
  ??????

Yes fake, drilled halfway thru the casing but not all the way through.  It seems Ygg is a sealed case with no open vents.  Good for keeping dust out!

May 6, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #6,905 of 9,484
  Well boooo Fedex! Yggy was supposed to be here today with overnight shipping and the package is in LIMBO somewhere.
confused_face_2.gif

After taking most of the day off yesterday to receive the package because Fedex comes a little early I missed delivery today because there were meetings that had to be attended. However got home to the slip and called Fedex and they said I could pick it up at their service center at 6  (about 20 minutes away). So I did and it's here and it's awesome. Sounds good so far, much hotter to the preamp with balanced than the bifrost with s/e. Plan to update here once warmup is complete.

May 6, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #6,907 of 9,484
30969 shipped first thing this morning. Repurposing my Gungnir with a Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry Digi+ for use in another room.

May 6, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #6,909 of 9,484
Sorry, the VA is the one I don't know. Best my memory can do is recall all the Thetas I've seen and heard in the 90s didn't have vents.

May 6, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #6,910 of 9,484
  No vents because that causes temperature gradients.  Keeping the case closed allows Yggy to come to thermal equilibrium and stay there.  Mike thought of everything.

It's cute to make stuff up, but it would be better if you didn't. The public explanation thus far indicates it's for EMI reasons, not thermal considerations.

May 6, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #6,911 of 9,484
I have the Yggy turned on!   I'm having difficulty getting the CMedia USB input working with my 3-month old PC.  Connecting the Asus motherboard USB output to the Yggy and WIndows 8.1 doesn't want anything to do with audio.  The computer did not automatically restart on the USB driver load and shutdown.  I had to manually yank the power cord to unfreeze the PC.   On the reboot Foobar2000 freezes, Sound Forge won't open, and Windows Sound Manager popup stalls and becomes catatonic.  But I see the CMedia device OK in Windows Device Manager... I give up (for now)...l want hear music dammit!

Reconnect the Off Ramp 5 S/PDIF into the Yggy BNC connector and all normal as far as the computer and USB operation.   With 15-minutes.power on it sounds OK but soundscape is narrow and not very deep.  The Master 7 has more bass fed via the Off Ramp HDMI I2S.   But I hear good things in the trebles.  Cymbal crashes sound like cymbals and not splashes of white noise.  And not much excessive sibilance (my pet peeve) - a little every now and again but controlled and seems to get better as it warms (and I cool off!).   And I am using speakers with Yggy single ended outputs driving my tube amp.  I'm already hearing new textures in the music and sound is very dynamic but a little rough at this early point.

So off to a rocky start but up and running on the reliable Off Ramp 5.  For USB I have a Wyrd and will try it next plus connect external +5V power to the JCAT USB board and totally bypass the PC motherboard USB and power.  For some reason I always have hell with new USB audio connections. 

Also I measure 23.2W of power consumed on the Kill-a-Watt meter @ 119Vac.  And getting better sounding as I type!!!  159.5 more hours to go!

May 6, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #6,914 of 9,484

I used the Schiit USB drivers Gen 3 ver 1.06

Hmm interesting, it worked for me on the first try out of an ASUS laptop. I uninstalled the prior Schiit drivers, restarted. Plugged in the Yggy (through a Wyrd), ran the setup for the USB Gen3 drivers, and then restarted.

Maybe try uninstalling any of the drivers, restart, re-download: http://schiit.com/public/upload/drivers/Schiit_USB-Gen3_1_06.zip
And then try it again from the top.

May 7, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #6,915 of 9,484
  #30922 has arrived!  
Even ice-cold, it's an improvement in detail and speed over my Yulong DA8.  It's also not any brighter nor any more steile sounding, to my relief!
Also a surprise, the vents on the top of the Ygg are fake!

Viper, can you tell us a name of the black stand you use for Rag in the picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back